RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2016 :  3:51:17 PM  Show Profile
I love farms/properties that have names. I grew up on 6.5 acres in southern IN dubbed "Colliehaven" because my mom was a collie breeder and rescuer. Homes with names (like "Tara," for example) evoke a strong sense of ownership and belonging. For the first time in my life, I own property. It's not much, but it's ours, and I want to name it. I can't figure out what to name it, though. It's really hard!

Does your home have a name? How did you come up with it?

Farmgirl Sister #5159
My blog: http://escapetothepeninsula.wordpress.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2016 :  5:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel. I like the idea of naming farms and homes. I watch a lot of British shows on PBS and not only do they name their manor houses but also country cottages.

I live in a small white frame house on a very small lot in town but she has a name "Little Eden" because she's my little Eden. I write cozy mysteries for friends and myself set in imaginary Little Eden, TX.

I named the once woodworking shop in my backyard "YellowRose Cottage" ~ my favorite roses are yellow ones especially the climbers.

I hope this gives you some idea on how to go about naming your place. If it speaks to your heart and imagination than it's the right name.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2016 :  5:21:54 PM  Show Profile
"Little Eden" is a great name, Sara! I'm leaning toward something with the word "cottage" in it because I have a pretty small house and it's quite cottage-like.

I'm also extremely excited to hear that you're a writer! I, too, write fiction, although my muse hasn't been playing nicely lately. I love to get lost in the worlds I create. I usually write contemporary and historical romance, though, and my stuff is always set here in the PNW now that I live here and love it so much.

Farmgirl Sister #5159
My blog: http://escapetothepeninsula.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2016 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My current home doesn't really have a name but the farm I grew up on did. It was called Gardners Diamond T Farm and Orchards.
Gardner was the last name and the Diamond T was the 1948 truck that my dad bought new for the farm. He also had the Diamond T made into and registered as his brand. And it was a farm with lots of fruit orchards.
The farm and orchards have been sold . . . I live on three acres that my dad deeded us. My younger sister lives on about seven acres.
The Diamond T truck is still in the family, my oldest nephew owns it now and they live in British Columbia, Canada!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2016 :  09:20:13 AM  Show Profile
Our ranch is called Taylor Red Angus Ranch for the registered Red Angus cows that we raise. We call our home place Tiny Taylor Ranch because it is 30 miles from the main ranch, but is an extension of it.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Name your farm/home? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page