Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 how do you know if you have "worms"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic how do you know if you have "worms" Next Topic
Page: of 2

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Help!! this is rather embarrassing, but I think I might have worms. How do I know? Any ideas of what to do if I do have them?

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid, there was an outbreak of worms at the camp my young siblings went to. This is gross, but they told us to check before flushing (#2) and look for little things like threads or pins around the edge of the feces. We spotted them pretty easily, and my sibs had to take a dose of pills. If you think you've got worms I'd check with your doctor. There might be a variety of kinds that look different, or take more trouble to get rid of. But as I remember, it was a lot less hassle than head lice. But nasty to have to talk and think about! I'm sure there's probably more info available on the internet, I'm just telling you what I remember personally. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Don't be embarrassed, melanie. I have learned here that no topic is "off limits" and this wonderful bunch of ladies can help most of us with most things somehow. Good luck.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
No need to be embarrassed. Parasite eggs can float through the air, and can be in the cleanest people. Just call your doctor and tell them what you see, and they can prescribe a purge.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Actauly, you will only see worms if you are horrably infected. It is estimated that up to 90% of Americans have worms (we get them from the air, our pets, the food we eat, etc). Weak finger nails, a unstoppable desire to chew finger nails, rapid weight gain (rapid weight loss is only associated with very advanced infestations and tapeworms), itchy rectum, constantly feeling hungry after having eaten, and bloating are all signs of worms.

I detox my family 2x a year with the herbal detox found that www.herbalhealer.com, but your local healthfood store will sell a parasitic detox as well. A good one will have Black Walnut, Wormwood, Cinnamon, Psyllium, and Cloves. Make sure have regular bowl movements while taking it or you will simply reabsorb the worms...YUCK!

Good luck. Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, if you are seeing worms, you are not alone. That is what prompted my first detox.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:07:52 AM  Show Profile
well, i know that you can get worms from many things, but do you have any pets in the house? Cuz they can transfer them. Symptoms: you will have itchy butt, hungry even after eating, and you will see the little boogers in your... you know! Dont be embarrassed, im sure alot of people have had them at least once in their lifetime. I know I did when i was a kid, (new dog in the house). We went to the Dr and got some medicine and they went away. If you do have them be careful because they can be transfered.
lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
You can go to your local county health deptartment for a parasite kit. It takes three different samples I believe and then you take it back to the health dept. and they will send it off to be tested. Usually all for free. I found this out when trying to find the source of one of my boys diarrhea. Parasites were negative and the culprit was lactose intolerance.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Eat some hot peppers and you'll be alright. That's how Central/South Americans have survived the tropics.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  08:14:38 AM  Show Profile
thank you soooo very much ladies, I thought about going to my doctor, but since he is so incredibly cute, I don't know if I can talk to him about it. I will definately try the herbal detox!! thanks agian ladies

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Melanie! You are cracking me up!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  3:15:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I could go to Dr. Cute and say "I think I have worms." either!! Talk about mortifying!! I hope that the herbal detox works!! Good luck.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  3:48:57 PM  Show Profile
I had a bad experience with a cute cute cute Dr. on my first visit when pregnant with my oldest son. He walked in and I just said.."excuse me" and left. I never went back and found my self a nice old doctor with hair growing out his ears...I wouldn't be able to do it either Mel...Ihope the detox works..but if not...I would go to another doc..at least for this...I really would.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Melanie,

My vote is with Aunt Jenny. If Dr. cutie is keeping you from getting medical treatment, change Doctors.
I just called my good friend Barry who is a Dr. He said it is nothing to be embarrased about. It is very common especially with people who have dogs. He said they don't even do a work up for it. They give you two pills that you take one week apart. He says it is so common. He never even thinks twice when someone says they have it. He said the most common sign of worms is itching around the butt first thing in the morning. Hope that helps.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  08:50:53 AM  Show Profile
You girls are the greatest....as for Dr. McCutie (He's 32 and I am 35.....if I wasn't married hmmmm) anyway, I haveno problem talking about things with him, my husband an I are having reproductive issues and I can talk to him about ovulation and sperm counts and stuff like that , I have even had a paptest from him, just the thougth of saying "hi, think I have worms" sounds silly I know......anyway thanks so much to all of you, I will keep you updated!

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Don't feel bad, I'm an animal keeper and we are exposed to all kinds of cooties all the time. Usually the folks who work primates have greater health concerns. you'd be surprized about the kinds of things we talk about over a meal and a beer! Pity for anyone else listening in.

I'd see a doctor and not mess around. I had a Gyno in Florida who was really young and ultra cute. I just thumbed through the phone book and found someone close by- never knowing his age. Thank goodness I only lived there for 9 months and didn't have to make any repeat visits - and then moved to NC and found an older Dr. The Florida incident was the only time I have truly been self conscious and actually turned a little red. ye gads!!! At least your doctor is a GP and not a GYNO!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  5:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
do you have to have a consultation for this or is this one of those things you can call and talk to his nurse and get a prescription Just a thought then you are talking toa girl and not him and have it phoned into the pharmacy.I know my doctor does that with me as I live about 25 miles from him. just a thought.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  12:41:20 PM  Show Profile
hey Sunshine......good idea, never thought of that!!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile
I got a flyer in the mail that was really scary sounding - it listed a variety of common complaints (skin rashes, itching, digestive upsets, headaches, arthritis) and it stated that all these things are caused by internal parasites. After I read it I really wanted to go have a "cleansing". But after I talked to my husband he and I agreed it was more likely a bunch of marketing "hooey" and not scientific fact.

If you really have a reason to suspect that you might have parasites (Other than reading this pamphlet) you should go to the doctor. But if it just because of this "marketing" (I've seen it three times lately) toss it in the bin....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  8:11:42 PM  Show Profile
a big clue that you may have worms is your bottom itching at nite - the worms crawl out at nite?? When my niece was 2-3 she complained her bottom itched and it looked like white lint on her bottom

beckels
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  04:36:40 AM  Show Profile
don't believe the hype you get via the mail. It's just a ploy.

Unless you have lived an a 3rd world country, worms are typically not a problem of this nature. Some infestation like this and I think there'd be considerable weight loss too.

And, unless people are handling pet's waste with your bare hands and not washing or have bitten fingernail while dirt is still present under them (gross), an infestation would also be unlikely. BUT, anything is possible

Simple, thorough handwashing is also a better start. I have heard you can get worms from soil and cuts on your feet, but as a kid, we always had bare feet, so it may depend on soil type and infestation.

and as an animal keeper, I have seen all kinds of wormy, gross parasites roundworms look like strands of white hair or really thin spaghetti the type we are talking about I think, would be too small to easily see

Oh, and here's a funny but not to be too gross. As a new state employee, we are all required to go through a series of health screening tests. One of these tests is a fecal exam! No, not there in an office, we go home and provide a sample that gets shipped off to a lab. Talk about pressure to perform!!

Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  06:45:35 AM  Show Profile
My niece was adopted from Liberia and had Giardia (sp?) a pretty nasty digestive parasite. She was very bloated and had really foul smelling feces. These were not fun diapers to change, not that any really are. They went the homepathic and herbal route. It took awhile but she's fine now. That website that trina mentioned si a good one.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  6:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I have had pinworms before. I did NOT get them from my house though. They came from somewhere VERY DIRTY and VERY nasty animals at this place. ANyways, they have this stuff at some pharmacies called PinX. It is caramel flavored and worked fine. You should take the whole bottle(it's small). I even waited a few days and took another bottle. Another thing I have read about is chamomile tea. After the first time I had them I got really paranoid whenever I felt anything down there and I looked all over the place for home remedies, and found that chamomile tea worked as well. I have even talked to someone who took a very very small dose of horse wormer(a fellow horse owner who had a bit left over)> it was apple flavored paste, and she said that worked great too. My poor neices and nephew live in squallor, and they have had them alot!!!

The larvae or eggs or whatever will live ni things like your bedsheets and clothing. It is highly reccomended that you let the sunshine on your bedding if you can. When we had them, we put our mattress and sofa cushions outside for a day or two we wanted them gone so bad!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile
My late mother didn't want to tell her cute doctor about her chronic diarrhea. By the time her colon cancer was diagnosed, the tumor was huge and she almost didn't survive treatment. Don't ever let modesty or vanity prevent you from seeking medical attention when you know something's wrong. "Cute" just isn't worth your life.

Okay, no more preaching! As you were!
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  08:49:29 AM  Show Profile
You will actually not lose weight with worms untill it's a pretty progressed state. First you will be bloated or gain weight. If you ever see a litter of pups or kitties that are really bloated looking it's worms.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  08:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you for your words of wisdom....Rosemary you are so very right!! Anyway....I went to the Health food store the other day and got a kit called "paraBgone" it is specifically for parasites...I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it works (it is a 15 day process)

independent consultant with Epicure Selections www.epicureselections.com "Everyday gourmet simply by opening a jar!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic how do you know if you have "worms" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page