New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tell me about your sink Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:00:33 AM  Show Profile
What about your sink? Tell me about yours. How big is it? What is it made out of? I can't stand my sink. I labored over the decision when I designed my kitchen. I special ordered it. I loved it when it arrived. I hated it almost immediately. It is a heavy gauge, very deep stainless steel, two bowls, and yuck! undermount. I can't seem to keep it looking clean and shiny. At our old house, we had an enamel white sink that was soooooo easy. I wish I had that back!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah,

I have a stainless steel sink too and I wish I had an enameled one. I would love to have one of those old farmhouse sinks that are really long and really deep. You could practically take a bath in one of those!

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Avocado (Avocado!!!!) two sided sink. It's enameled, I believe, and it's faded kindof yellow green around the drain. So, it's very pretty

We have a brand spankin' new stainless steel in the box along with a porcelain handled french style faucet in our basement just waiting to be put in. No money for plumber, too afraid to tackle it myself.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:28:11 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Ours is a typical boring stainless steel double sided one. With an extra faucet for drinking water.

My mother used to have one of those ginormous white enamel sinks years ago. I used to love to whiten it with Comet cleanser. My dad would have a fit when he'd see how much Comet I was using, but my mother (for once) successfully stepped in between and told him if I wanted to clean the sink, then I should get to clean it my way.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Maybe the stainless steel sinks that you guys don't like are different, but I've always been used to basic stainless sinks and I wish I could trade my ceramic/enamel (I'm just not sure what it is) for one of those. Ever since we've lived in this house, we break glasses left and right while washing the dishes. Stainless must be softer or something, because the glasses just shatter if they tip over in the water.
Plus, I cut my hand on the sink the first time I washed it! It has little chips or cracks around the corners on the outside (where the sink meets the countertop) and they are like razors if you hit them just right with your finger. I didn't even feel it, but there I was bleeding all over the place. No more ceramic or whatever this is for me!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:52:51 AM  Show Profile
yep stainless steel double sided here too. My dream sink is a big deep farmhouse sink with an apron front. I have a big old enameled cast iron sink in my green house that I absolutely love. Someday when we own our own home again.........

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Typical ''builders special'' two bowl stainless (ha!) sink. What I want... a deep single bowl, so I can wash/soak big baking pans and not have to wash them in sections. Some have a small second section with the garbage disposal,that would be okay too. Composting doesn't work well with a Lab, she has to dig up and/or eat anything I put out for the birds or to enrich the soil. Also want a long neck faucet for filling deep pots when I boil pasta or whole chickens. Some are even set up like commercial faucets, with a spring loaded lever to turn them on. Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile
I have a new Kohler enamel over cast iron sink. This baby is huge! I love it! Two basins with a very low divider, which allows me to spill over for big washing-up jobs. I do put a plastic basin in when I wash dishes because they can break if you drop one. Cleans like a dream. This is a sink to last a lifetime! We had a cast acrylic sink that started out nice, but after 6 years developed scratches from daily use that grabbed hold of stains and would not let them go. Bleah.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:41:02 AM  Show Profile
I a large OLD porcelain over cast iron farmhouse single large basin(though not very deep) with large drainboard area. I would love it if I could get it refinished. It came with the house and I am sure was second hand when installed. It has a nice goose neck faucet that swivels and a soap holder over the handles that must be nickel since it never rusts or dulls. The problem is the discoloration and wearing away of the porcelain in the basin area. It is ugly! and always looks dirty even when I've scrubbed for an hour and a half! I can't touch a new one that's similar ($$$$) so I may just have to replace it with something I'm not as thrilled with that will still do the job.
Rebekah- Why don't you like your undermount sink? I always thought they left a clean smooth surface and made the sink less noticeable.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:51:33 AM  Show Profile
My sink was the last thing I wanted to think about this morning... It darn near killed me last night. It's set into the corner of the kitchen and so I was sort of perched on the bowl divider attempting to sweep out cobwebs with a hand broom. I lost my balance and was going backwards and began scrambling for a grip! Thank goodness for gooseneck faucets. Which by the way now needs to somehow be remade goose-y like.

Its a standard stainless steel deal. I don't remember my mothers enamled sink ever being as slippery! :( Then again maybe it was the german rum balls - snicker. ;)

Babs
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  10:51:11 AM  Show Profile
I always thought my undermount sink was poorly installed and finally had a plumber come out to fix it. He said it was installed exactly right. I don't like the way the sink joins with the countertop. It was much easier to clean when I had the over-mount lip. Give me a good, old-fashioned sink. Avocado color even sounds charming to me. I've wondered how expensive refurbishing those old sinks are. I'd love to find one and replace mine. Babs, you've got to let those cobwebs be:). It's far too dangerous to go after them!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Branmble, your old sink sounds like the one I had in a little house I rented for several years long ago. Even the faucet and soap holder sounds the same. It must have been a popular model! That little house of mine was built right after WWII and had some wonderful features I wish I could have taken with me, such as that sink, and also the solid brass doorknobs, small and ladylike, with pretty brass plates behind each one. I appreciated those things then, but my memory of them has morphed into something on the edge of worship, now that such things are nearly impossible to find. The Restoration Hardware catalog comes close, but no cigar.

I'm hoping to do some modest kitchen renovation soon, so I'm reading everyone's sink comments with great interest. Does anyone have experience with the real deep one-piece sinks that come all the way out in front, with no counter showing? I think they're made of porcelain or something that passes for it these days, but I've also seem copper (expensive) and something that looks like, but I imagine isn't, lead (poisonous). Anybody have the skinny on those?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
The sink we'll be installing in our farmhouse this year sounds like Bramble's - old porcelain one with a huge drainboard. It was thrown to the curb or actually, in the back alley in the inner ciy here in Louisville during somebody's remodel. I was on my way to work overtime testing auto mechanics one night and cut through an alley to save time and started gesturing and waving my arms(the dh is familiar with this routine). So we stopped and lifted it into the truck(my son was with us, or it would never have made it off the ground).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:41:10 AM  Show Profile
I think I have the same advocado green sink that Jonni does! I don't know what it's made of, but it is SOLID, don't drop anything in there; two bowls, deep. Most like installed when the house was built in 1952. It's not bad, since I am partial to green, it just not the shade I would have picked out.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  12:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Amen sister! I think we DO have the same sink, Beemoosie! I can't tell you how many glasses I break in it--I've tried those sink mats but they get so slimy even after cleaning. Yuk.

My little house was built for returning GI's after WWI, so it's a mid 20's model, but sometime during the late 50's, they added on and completely gutted all of the charm from the previous home--that's when my avocado sink, former avocado stove that exploded and avocado range hood that has never worked were installed. Thanks, previous owners, for those FINE green appliances!

I too would love a sink like Janice is putting in her kitchen (lucky find!!!!), we just don't have the space. Our house is made on mouse scale.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile
I have one of the old, old, OLD enamel-over-cast iron sinks, too - one basin and a drainboard on each side. It's actually in its own cabinet - the cabinet has a "Shirley" label, but I don't really know what that means. My great-grandmother did dishes in this sink, and so I kind of don't mind the chips in the porcelain and the little rusting spots around here and there... but BOY, does that sink do a job on a dropped glass! I've never seen anything break into such small shards since I dropped a Corelle plate on my Mom's tile floor... the thing absolutely *disappeared!*

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  9:21:16 PM  Show Profile
check out www.frankeconsumerproducts.com
P.21 of the new Saveur magazine waiting for me when I got home today. Pretty cool sink. Probably really pricey to match. Oh well. Stainless steel, which I'm not in love with for sinks, towel bar across the front, all kinds of bells and whistles. I have to check that website. Doubt if they have it at Home Depot or Lowes :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  10:01:43 PM  Show Profile
When I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago I bought an enamal over cast iron farm sink. The kind with the apron in front. My cabinet guy thought I was nuts because it's black - to match my appliances. I've never been sorry. It's big and deep with a spritzy thingy on one side. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a new double stainless steel sink in the box, waiting for the kitchen renovation to continue. I think it's Elkay, and the style was being discontinued--so I zoomed to Lowe's and bought it. One sink is longer, and the faucet goes over the smaller sink. My current (and only other) sink is also a double stainless steel, but smaller, and large roasting pans and baking sheets are a pain to wash in it. I'm way too clumsy for porcelain over iron. I'd break everything I use in it. I remember Martha Stewart showing how to wash in one-- she spread a bath towel over the washing side to protect her dishes. (Can you tell, I'm NOT MS?) The look of the aproned sink is so beautiful, and I love the 1950s look you girls are describing. And, Rebekah, I wondered about having an under the counter installed sink, but DH (my installer) nixed it--so thank you for settling that question.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:23:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm alright with my sink, a two sided stainless steel, but I would like, when we get to re-doing the kitchen, to have a single basin porceline. I always had one growing up and then in both of my apartments in St. Paul (gotta figure in old brownstones, you are going to have a pretty cool sink!) I love them!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  5:27:37 PM  Show Profile
I live in a rental, & try as I might, I just can't stop myself from cursing my sink at least once a week. It has 2 shallow basins, but the overall level of the sink is so high that I'm always splashing water- usually dirty dish water - all over myself. And washing anything bigger than a small skillet reguires washing it in annoying segments. To go along with that, the faucet is set out way too far for such a small sink, & is rather like Niagra Falls ending up in a pond. When I first took a look-see at this place, I noticed that the tenant at that time had dish towels all behind the sink, & I thought "That's odd, wonder why she does that." Well, now I know. LOL! My dream sink is a big ole white enamel farmhouse sink - large & deep. Someday, someday, I hope.

And farmgirls...... did you know that Martha Stewart currently has a contest going on for winning the kitchen of your dreams? Yep, up to $100,000. All you have to do is send in a little video of why you want a new kitchen. I saw the last year's winner's video on Martha's show today. It was cute, but I'm sure one of you imaginative, hilarious farmgirls could take the prize. Only thing is, the entry has to be postmarkd by Monday, the 22nd. So start filming! (Details on her website.)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile
This thread has got me doing a little research,. The type of sink that interests me is called an "apron" sink. I like the idea of one large-size sink, rather than the divided kind, which I find useless beyond belief. I've even seen the apron-style sink done with no cabinet underneath, just a low platform for stashing trash and compost cans, possible on slide-out things. Any experience, girls?
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  06:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Mine is an old white porclean over cast iron. It is pretty heavy duty and when we redo our kitchen my new sink will be the same, maybe a little different design but same material. I assume it is the original sink they put in years ago (50+) and it seems to have held up well. It gets stained and ugly for stuff, but a little cleanser and it comes up shiny white easly.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Jan 12 2007 06:47:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tell me about your sink Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page