ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  09:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Do you guys think it's safe to use old tin pie pans, old galvanized serving bowls, etc? I was thinking of buying up some old pie pans to use as plates to make our kitchen/dining room even more primitive...but didn't know if it was safe to use them or not.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Some of the old glazes contain lead. For this reason I like to buy things like yellow ware that's reproductions, and dishwasher safe. The other stuff is just for decorative use only. I do use old enamelware, but I wouldn't use old metal ones unless they were good ones, if you know what I mean. I've recently given up using my grandmother's lovely old roasting pot; it's aluminum.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:27:58 AM  Show Profile
You can purchase a lead testing kit at Lowe's or any other home inprovement store. The swabs turn pink if lead is present- enough to know whether or not you should use the dishes. They are inexpensive, but worth more when you think of the health benefit!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  10:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info on the lead testers...didn't know such a thing existed!
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  5:36:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Ashley
I have used those lead test kits - they work really well. You can also find them in baby supply stores, since lead is such a big issue with kids. And Mary Ann is right, lots & lots of antique/vintage dishes have lead in the glaze. Like her, I've switched to mostly reproductions, althought I do use a few things for items such as bread platters, cake platters, serving cheese, etc. Not for regular,everyday eating, & never for use with anything acidic, such as tomatoes, citrus, etc. After I tested my Flo Blu collection, I just got rid of most of it - just kept a few for display. It was sad, but I thought it best for the health of my children.
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  07:50:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm very into primitive too and I use a lot of my enamelware (old and repro) for food serving. I think it is mostly the old glass or stoneware type dishes you have to worry about, not the metal or tin. I didn't know they had testers either, so that is a good idea. I use reproduction yellowware for dishes that I bought at Plow and Hearth. I never thought about using old tin pie plates or something similar, but I think it is a great idea! The more prim, the better!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you asked this question. I have some VERY OLD dishes from Crooksville China, they are probably 75 years old. The glaze has crackled and at the crackled edges it is kind of gray. I have soaked them in bleach, which lightens it up temporarily, but after a while it turns dark again. They are very festive as they have gold trim around the plates, but I am afraid to use them, even for holiday meals only. Do you think it would be safe?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Safety of old dishes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page