gardenfaerie
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Sharon
Henderson Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  3:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm reading Roasting in Hells Kitchen by Gordon Ramsey, a semi autobiography of a very colorful cook

...each new day is a gift filled with possibilities...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  8:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-Lynn..you must read Endless Chain...next one in the series after Wedding ring..it is a really good one too!!
Linda...I am reading the 5th book in the Outlander series (Fiery Cross) right now..and loving it. I am about 3/4 done and have the next one waiting for when I am. I agree...meeting Jamie..sigh.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:51:34 AM  Show Profile
My DIL and I are working our way through the Dorothy Garlock novels - we love 'em.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:43:07 PM  Show Profile
I just finished one kid book called George Washington's Socks by Elvera Woodruff- really good! And now I'm working on another kids' book called Fablehaven by Brendon Mull. It's good too. I'm amazed at how many kids' books I've found that I'm really enjoying.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile
I still go back and read The Secret Garden and the Anne of Green GAbles books now and then. And Where the Red Fern Grows and Hachet are another couple of my favorite kids books. My youngest kids are 10 now so I don't really need to keep the toddler books, but I do love them and will keep them around anyhow. But we have alot of "young adult" type books around here now that are really good. Oh...Chronicles are Narnia too!! I think my youngest daughter just read Fablehaven Kim!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  3:33:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading Me and My Big Mouth by Joyce Meyers and Women living with Fibromyalgia. I just finished (today) a book by Ann Purser called Weeping on Wednesday. This is a fictional book set in England. There are six books out.....Monday thru Saturday. They're all mysteries and a cleaning lady (Lois Meade) helps solve them. Susan
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  4:43:45 PM  Show Profile
One of my sons gave me the book, French Dirt, by Richard Goodman for Mother's Day. I'm about half-through and it's very good - about an American and his girlfriend who move to the south of France for a year and he gets his first garden.
Today I bought Barbara Kingsolver's book - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, so I'm reading that too. Also, recently got the Loaves and Fishes cookbook, so those 3 are on the top of the pile today...
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  7:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny: I will definitely get Endless Chain this weekend. I am reading another Monica Ferris book this week and will be at the quiltshop this Saturday for my block of the month club. I'll get the new book then. Cannot wait.

XXOOSheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I've been engrossed in 3 books by Maggie Sefton, combining murder mysteries with knitting... I can identify with the heroine detective, she is a corporate accountant thinking about becoming a Colorado rancher.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  5:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Well, seeing how I have 4 children at home and my daughter, Carson is in kindergarten... and I really do love reading to them....we are reading the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park...and I even use a southern accent ('cause that how Junie B. would talk). Even my 19 yr old son loves to hear me read these books. I's a 'family thing' with us.

We are on book #9.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  5:18:44 PM  Show Profile
The latest issue of More Magazine.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile
My kids LOVED the Junie B. books Peg..youngest daughter still goes back and reads them now and then.
I got a new (used ) book in the mail today..."Letters of a Woman Homesteader"..yay! Gotta finish Fiery Cross first though..almost done.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  4:00:54 PM  Show Profile
I am almost done reading COFFIN QUILT by Ann Rinaldi. It's an historical fiction book about the Hatfields and the McCoys. I started it yesterday and could not put it down. My students who have read it ahead of me all loved it too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  4:19:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh..now that sounds like one I will have to look for Sheryl-lyn...sounds like my kind of book!! And I do love Ann Rinaldi books too!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  7:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Finished the Kingslover "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" night before last. Loved it. Reading various gardening books and even one on cheese making. I have Billy Chrystal's "700 Sundays" (about his father) next to the bed to start tonight. I think I have to go to the library and see if we have any Ann Rinaldi; that Hatfield and McCoy one sounds interesting.Are all of hers young adult fiction, or does she do adult stuff too? You all are the best review board!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Edited by - sleepless reader on May 26 2007 7:03:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure if Ann Rinaldi writes adult novels, but The Coffin Quilt was not written in a childish or simplistic fashion, so I know you will love it. It seems that most of us like young adult fiction anyway, but I thought this was a little more grown up than some of the books written for teenagers.

Aunt Jenny, I just got Endless Chain and will start that this weekend! So exciting. I plan to read Gone With the Wind this summer too. I don't plan to buy it though, so will see if my library lets me have it for the summer (from my school). I am making an effort not to spend money this summer since I will be off and that is when I usually spend too much for books and fabric. Then I am BROKE by the middle of August! We will see if I can do it!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  6:05:53 PM  Show Profile
I just got a Rinaldi book yesterday... Or Give Me Death. I can't wait to read it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  6:20:58 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered The coffin quilt (used) on Amazon. com yesterday..can't wait to read it.
Oh Sheryl-lyn..you will love Endless Chain. I see on Amazon.com there is a new one in that series coming out I think it was in sept!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  2:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Jenny:I am so excited about another one in that series. I did not get a chance to pick up Endless Chain this weekend since I was busier than I had planned on being. Trying to finish a Monica Ferris mystery as well. I enjoy her books too. Let me know what you think about Coffin Quilt.

Kim, let us know how your book goes. If it is good, I will get it too.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh I like Monica Ferris too!!
Which one are you reading??

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  7:50:52 PM  Show Profile
a 1927 book i bought in ohio: OL' ADAM AND HIS CHILLUNS'

BIBLE STORIES TOLD BY SLAVES .. it is wonderfully incredible .. such a refreshing look at stories we have read and heard from the bible all our lives.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Jenny: I am reading Cutwork right now. I have read two others and enjoyed them a lot!

Frannie: The Bible Stories sound great. I will have to check that out.
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  06:08:27 AM  Show Profile
our book club has just finished East of Eden and LOVED it. our next read will be Bel Canto. one of us just finished it and loved it til she was 3/4 through then she said she hated the end. so.... since she was using my copy, im reading The Life Lessons of St Francis by John Michael Talbot. so far I love it.
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  8:14:57 PM  Show Profile
I have "The Children's Blizzard", a bunch of books about Borderline Personality Disorder, and some knitting books on my stack o' stuff. I read "Man's Search for Meaning" which is quite the book if you haven't yet read it. I like "The Message" as well.

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...grew up a farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:26:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading _Women of the Material World_ by Faith D'Aluisio and Peter Menzel. It was published in 1996, so it's not terribly current, but it still gives a lot of perspective on our over-consuming culture as compared to other cultures. And more specifically it explores the roles of women in cultures around the world. I've previously read "Material World" which was even MORE eye-opening about our consumer habits compared to the rest of the world.

I'm also reading _Once Upon A Winter's Night_ by Dennis McKiernan. It's an adult fantasty novel take on the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." Very good book as well. Light reading. This is the book I'm currently carrying with me to work & as I am out & about. The other stays home for reading while DH is watching TV as it's too big to be easily carried along.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page