Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey, everybody! I have gotten some great ideas from reading your posts... Just bought the new Yarn Harlot book and don't know if anybody loves Maeve Binchy but she has a new book out! Saw it the other day, so I will be taking these back to France for summer reading. I have not been a big fiction reader until the last few years, and only then discovered Ms. Binchy. I love her writing style, and have managed to find some of her works in paperbacks. Talk about being behind the times.....she's been writing for decades now! Oh, for a nook and a book! Nance
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:07:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading "Not Buying It; My Year Without Shopping" by Judith Levine. So far, it's not what I thought it would be. I was thinking it would be more about personal experiences and thoughts. It has a lot of social/polical commentary which is interesting in itself, just not what I was expecting.
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  09:53:04 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to make a list of the books I have read, wish I would have done it long ago, and was trying to find a list of back books from the bookclub I've been in. When I found it I discovered that the main page of the bookclub is actually www.dearreader.com, not the www.surfnetbookclubs.com that I've been using all this time. The surfnetbookclub books were a nonfiction, fiction and teen book, 2-3 chapters out of each a week, and I found it years ago searching for homeschooling links. The dearreader.com link is actually the main link of the bookclub and has many more books each week than I knew about. Now I'm going through the list of back books and making a list of books that look interesting and have a very long list. Good thing because I've been reading like crazy and ran out of books to read. I've been sick with some kind of bronchial thing for 7 weeks now and in trying to take it easy I've been reading alot. One book I read recently was The Road, think the author was Cormac McCarthy? I resisted reading it because it deals with an event that was basically an end of the world type thing although they don't say what it was in the book. It was about a father and his little boy who survived and are trying to make it to the coast. Very hard read in some ways but also hard to put down, finished it in less than 24hrs.

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm almost done with Voyager" the third Outlander book..wow..I am loving it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  9:48:48 PM  Show Profile
I just read The Bean Tree by Barbara Kingsovler. It was really good. I'm reading

G'Day to Die: A Passport to Peril Mystery by Maddy Hunter. I've read the rest of her books and they are light reading.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  10:04:28 PM  Show Profile
I LOVED the Bean Tree..in fact all of Barbara K's stuff!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  04:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Me too Aunt Jenny ! I love Barbara Kingsolver! What are the Outlander series? I've never heard of them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  09:33:01 AM  Show Profile
Do a search for Diana Gabaldon (the author)..they ae so good!!! Recomended to me by Katiedid...historical romance with time travel thrown in..set in Scotland..just fantastic, exciting, big books!! 6 in the series. I bet you would love them.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  05:25:29 AM  Show Profile
I've borrowed "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" by Edith Holden from my Mom.

Lovely, lovely book!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I just LOVE "The Country Diary..." Isn't her artwork amazing, as well as her commentary? What a great time of year for that one, too...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Reepicheep
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  07:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently skimming/speed reading The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. I wish I had time right now to really get in depth with it, but I don't.

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/merryhearthomestead/
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/onourway/
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I found the most wonderful series at my local library, the Foxfire series (pub. by Anchor Books). It was a project started 30-odd years ago in rural Georgia, in which high-school students interview local elders about their childhoods and lives. There are interviews about individuals, and sections on everything from summer camps in the 1950s, beekeeping, house dances, crafting & other lost arts, etc. I'm on volume 12 & working my way backwards. The best part is reading first-hand accounts, and also seeing how the youngsters connect with the older generations. I makes me wish I had sat down with my grandmother before she passed, and really talked with her. The series gives me new appreciation for the strength of character it took to just get by back then, let alone thrive and be healthy, and I am also learning things too.

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  2:37:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm working on becoming a Lamaze certified Childdbirth Educator so right now all I'm reading are the millions of books on birth that are required! I really shouldn't be fooling around on this forum!!!What I wouldn't do for a big, fat, fun novel!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Well I'll chime in again.

Now reading The Velveteen Woman by Brenda Waggoner, The Untold Story of Milk, Healing oils of the Bible, & one of the Avram's Daughters series.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  08:28:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading a new release called All About Evie by Beth Ciotta. A fun book that's hard to put down. Have 4 other new ones on my to be read pile-will add those here as I read them. One of the things I wanted to do this year was read more and I'm am!
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  08:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I have read two of three new books by Robyn Carr that I just happened upon at Barnes and Noble - both paperbacks. They are great stories, the first is Virgin River and the second is Shelter Mountain. The third is to be out in June and it is titled Whispering Rock. They all take place in a small town in the mountains of northern California and are the continuing stories of a young woman who flees the stress of big city emergency room medical center in LA and goes to Virgin River to work with a country doctor as his midwife. The stories are incredible, very realistic and so heart warming. They remind us of the closeness and community of small town living and how we should all be taking care of each other. It is also a great love story and about renewal of the spirit when it seems impossible. I can't wait to read the third one. Robyn Carr has won the RITA award - I will have to go back and read some of her older books also.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Bev
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Beverly
Nixa MO
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  12:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Oooo love this topic! Now I've added tons of titles for my reading list! Right now I'm almost finished with "They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky" an amazing book about 3 of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan and how they excaped in the late eighties after their village was attacked by Muslim armies.It's all about the tens of thousands of LITTLE boys (4,5,6 years old!) who walked across the Sudan to Ethiopia and Kenya trying to escape the war.These poor little boys were alone without their families, most were naked or had very little clothing, no food or water....it is truly amazing and eye opening.

Waiting in my book pile next is the new Beatrix Potter biography.

Bev

Bev.

.......because nice matters.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  2:48:35 PM  Show Profile
I started Paula Deen's "memoirs" yesterday and got just about half way through the book. I had heard bits and pieces of what she had been through, but she seems to share EVERY thing in this book. She's been through much, and is very inspiring lady!

FYI...if you don't know who Paula is, she is a FoodNetwork cook, has a restaraunt in Georgia, and has lovely southern cooking books. Will warn ya though, she swears like a sailor and she tells it all. Even the stuff she's not proud of.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Being new.......I just bought Maryjane's Ideabook Cookbook Lifebook!! I am so excited to have it. I took a quick peek through it then went back and looked at all the amazing pictures and now I will start reading! So many neat things to see and read, I am going to be busy for a while!!
Go to Top of Page

Reepicheep
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

78 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beemoosie

I started Paula Deen's "memoirs" yesterday and got just about half way through the book. I had heard bits and pieces of what she had been through, but she seems to share EVERY thing in this book. She's been through much, and is very inspiring lady!

FYI...if you don't know who Paula is, she is a FoodNetwork cook, has a restaraunt in Georgia, and has lovely southern cooking books. Will warn ya though, she swears like a sailor and she tells it all. Even the stuff she's not proud of.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47

I have this on hold from the library. I peeked at it at Sam's the other week and was shocked - she does share things I never dreamed of!

We adore going to eat at the restaurant when we're in Savannah. We've met her and she's a total sweetheart!

http://naturalpaths.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  10:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I just pick up, The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love. It is a hoot, as in laugh out loud funny. I needed a good laugh while waiting for my son to come out of surgery. All of the other mothers waiting too wanted to know what I was reading... I guess I should have played story time and read out loud.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  8:01:38 PM  Show Profile
That is a funny one Elizabeth!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  05:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading WEDDING RING by Emilie Richards. It was a beautiful story about three generations of women coming to one another in crisis and coming away from that with a whole new understanding of life and each other.

It was sad to see it end! You will love it.

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reepicheep

quote:
Originally posted by Beemoosie

I have this on hold from the library. I peeked at it at Sam's the other week and was shocked - she does share things I never dreamed of!

We adore going to eat at the restaurant when we're in Savannah. We've met her and she's a total sweetheart!

http://naturalpaths.blogspot.com/

Oh, Kim, I'd love to visit down there some day and eat at her restaurant! She definately had quite the life, and some things you wouldn't expect, put she shares it with class. Just real, ya know? I am just about finished w/ the book, and it was an awesome read. Makes ya realize NOBODY is ever stuck in their circumstances!

Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Faith, aren't Diana Gabedon's series about Jamie and Clare wonderful. I wish I could go back in time just to meet Jamie.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page