CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  09:33:34 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'm so happy that you liked Light on Snow as much as I did!
Cheryl

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:04:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm right in the middle of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. I've been on a bit of a Jane run lately, in the past month reading Persuasion and Mansfield Park as well. (Absolutely LOVED Persuasion!)Once I'm done this one the only Austen I haven't read is Emma..

Bonnie- I hope you enjoy Pride and Prejudice, it's one of my favourites!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile
I am reading two books at the same time as usual... The Time Travellers Wife and one that is called Almost French. (Plot: American woman/French man meet, exchange information and eventually end up living in France. Hmmmm....That sounds familiar... Nance in France do you have a "pen name"?!!!! If you're interested I will send it on to you, your magazine is still here sorry to say! Hope to get all my stuff mailed out by the end of the week. "The Boys" are keeping me in perpetual motion!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I started reading "By the Light of a Thousand Stars" (same author as some wildflower in my heart) and have two more books waiting in "line". I love it. I have been in a reading mood this week. (which Means not much else gets done..haha)
Cheryl..I finally got a little package off to you today. Sorry it took me so long..but be looking for it soon.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile
After fighting sleep all day I went up and read some of Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult and then napped for a couple hours. What a luxury! Of course the kids let the fire go out in the woodstove so I have to start over with that but it was worth it. That looks to be a good book, I hope to read some more in that tonight. I've also been reading A Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier. I shouldn't try and read more than one book at a time, gets too confusing.

I felt like the worlds worst Mom today. My 13yr old son just started going to school full time in the last month or two. On Tuesdays he goes to a school that's geared to homeschoolers and the rest of the days he now goes to a regular school. Wednesdays at this regular school are half days and I totally forgot that this week so this afternoon imagine my surprise when he showed up at the door at 1:30. We live way out in the country and the school bus doesn't come out this far so he had to walk from where the bus drops him off, where I usually pick him up. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was snowing like crazy and he didn't have a hat or coat with him and he had to lug his heavy backpack. Could have been worse, he could have had to walk the whole 11 miles!! He's got special needs and I guess I've always been kind of overprotective of him. I homeschooled him since 2nd grade and finally let him start going to school this year and he loves it! Now that I've unloaded my guilt on you all I'll get their dinner cooked.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile
I am reading American Bloomsbury. It is about Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry David Thoreau and how they all lived in Concord, Mass. and their lives intertwined. I just started it but it looks really good.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  7:35:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm done reading Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult, very good book. If anyone wants it let me know, first one to post will get it. The new Jodi Picoult book came out yesterday called Nineteen Minutes. I started reading it last night but between this awful cold and the Actifed I'm taking I couldn't concentrate for long but read some in it this afternoon. At first there's alot of things going on, alot of different characters being introduced into the story which I have a hard time followin but now I got to where the book it's all coming together. It looks to be another good read. When I'm done I'll give that one away too.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cheryl!

I'd love the book! If you want one in exchange, let me know. I have books that have to go (no space left) and if you want something let me know. I have the book IF YOU LIVED HERE I'D KNOW YOUR NAME which is a great book about life in rural Alaska. It was recommended on this site a while ago. I also have MANY books about farming. Of course I have books that are just novels too. Let me know!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile
I think I heard about that book IF YOU LIVED HERE I'D KNOW YOUR NAME. A trade for that sounds good to me. Email me at cjflohe@yahoo.com and we can trade addresses. Just got back from the drs and I'm going to go crash for awhile but I'll get back to you.
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  6:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, I just started reading a new book over the weekend titled The Book Thief. (It's actually a young adult novel - I'm reading it on the recommendation of one of my students, and I love it so much already I've recommended it to our school librarian.)

Anyway, it's a work of historical fiction, set in Germany during the Holocaust. It tells the story of a young German girl who is sent to live with foster parents (her own parents "disappear," and she recalls hearing the word "communist" in connection with them and their friends) in a very poor area of Germany, which also happens to be near the heart of Nazi-ism. Her foster father, an accordian player, teaches her how to read and she learns to escape many of her problems through reading (so much so that she steals whatever books she can, hence the title). She even forms a bond with the young Jewish man they eventaully end up hiding in their basement. Typical Holocaust-genre issues, right? Except that the most fascinating thing about the book is that it is narrated by Death, who happens to have a rather dry sense of humor and some rather astute observations about the human condition. Great stuff (and long - it's about 550 pages!)...I'm sure I'll be saddened when I reach the end, but the greatest books I've ever read have always moved me in some way.

Edited by - laluna on Mar 13 2007 6:08:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  06:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm reading a book I found while wandering the stacks in my local library. It's titled: "Dog Is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers On The World's Oldest Friendship" and is from the editors of the BARK(which is/was a magazine about dogs). This is a real dog lovers book. The writers nail the relationship between dogs and their humans. It made me laugh out loud. It made me melancholy/sad. But mostly, it's made me have an even more tender appreciation for my dog family. I'm going to Google the magazine and see if it's still being published.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile
The Omnivore's Dilema -- intriquing reading about our food supply. I also got a book from the library called The Future Homemakers of America about American wives in Britain during WWII but I haven't started it yet.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  6:03:50 PM  Show Profile
HiCheryl: I got your book in the mail today! Thank you. I am on vacation starting tomorrow (from teaching) and will try to get to it during this week.

My friend who borrowed the book I am giving you returned it yesterday, so I will mail it tomorrow. Thank you for sharing!

Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  6:11:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Sheryl, I'll be looking forward to it. I'm surprised that it took so long for that book to get to you but I guess I must have mailed it media mail, just seems like weeks ago. I hope you enjoy the book!
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  08:11:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading "Reading Lolita in Tehran. A Memoir in Books." by Azar Nafisi
So far, it's really wonderful, though I'm just beginning. It's an eye opener, I tell you. All of the things that I "think" I know about how these women are forced to live doesn't even scratch the surface. But, I've found such spirit so far, even in the first few chapters that I can't put it down.

Basically,
Nafisi gathered seven women (all former students--she had been dismissed from teaching because she refused to wear her headscarf) at her house every Thursday morning to read and discuss forbidden works of Western literature. They were from all walks of life--conservative, religious, some had been jailed for their religious beliefs, and some were progressive/secular, too. Actually, in university, they typically were not acquainted BECAUSE of their differences.

If anyone is interested after I'm finished, I'd be glad to pass it on.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  05:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I second Laluna on The Book Thief. The author is actually from Western Australia and did a tour of all the country libraries, so I heard him talk when he was in Albany. The book is fabulous, so wonderfully written - the language is sparse (which sounds strange for a book that is so long!!), but he makes every word count. I loved it!
At the moment, I'm reading a biography of Elizabeth I called Elizabeth the Great. I find that period of history really interesting.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  4:23:00 PM  Show Profile
I just read The Other Side of the bridge

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Opps, got a little carried away and didn't finish my post...anyway, The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson. VERY good and I'm sure anyone would like it. I ordered her first book Crow lake from the library just a minute ago. Hope it's as good as this one was! Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Charlotte Mason's The Original Homeschooling Series.

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading the second book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series "Dragonfly in Amber". And loving it!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, is this the first time through them?
I've read them all more than once. I'm on my second reading of A Breath of Snow and Ashes.
I've probably read Dragonfly 5 or more times. SO GOOD!!!!

I'm reading Lord of the Rings. I'm halfway through it right now, in The Two Towers portion of the story.

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Yep...my first time through. I am hoping to finish this one tonight..just got home from vacation..whew..and can't sleep as usual...so I will do some reading and drink some herbal tea with honey and see if that helps. I have the next four in the series just waiting "in line" to be read..thanks to Katiedid who loaned them all to me!! I am loving this series!! I didn't read on vacation as much as I thought I would..didn't get much knitting done either!! Oh well..did alot of visiting!! (and a little shopping too)

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "Sylvia's Farm" Not sure what I'll go to next.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  05:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading Facing Your Giants, by Max Lucado. It was a good book. I need to get into another book, but I havent decided on one yet.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  06:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I just started "WIDOW OF THE SOUTH",I showed a picture of it on my blog, looks like a winner.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page