EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  7:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Seems like I always have something nearby to grab to read but I am really enjoying a childrens book called The Mistmantle Chronicles, Book #1 - Urchin of the Riding Stars by M.I. McAllister - It is a fantasy book with an orphaned squirrel names Urchin - very intriguing - I love books where the animals talk!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  9:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Persephone..you are reading one of my all time favorites..Keeping a Family Cow has helped me so much..such a good book!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  06:17:08 AM  Show Profile
I used to want to have a goat for milk, but after reading Keeping a Family Cow, a cow is looking better and better!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Judith, nice to hear of another Outlander fan here! And you're a 'neighbor' as well!

I have a couple favorite young adult books that I have read umpteen times:
Beauty by Robin McKinley ----The very BEST Beauty and the Beast story EVER!!!!

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith ----Just a fabulous read, also made into a movie, which was ....like every other book-turned-movie....OK, but not as good
Witch of Blackbird Pond ----I just love this story

Have any of you read these?

Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  8:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to tell you gals that I have a used book business on Abebooks.com - if you look under sellers, put in Enchanted Wood Books and you can bring up my inventory - lots of goodies - I will make you a good deal if you see something you like (if you see something, just tell me the name of the book and book number and I will reduce price so you can order) - Also listed on Alibris.com under Katherine Turcotte. I have well over 2,000 books listed - lots of interesting stuff, older fiction, newer fiction and of course lots of non-fiction etc.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  02:28:04 AM  Show Profile
I got a book yesterday recommended to me by Phil'sAnn. It's called Some Wildflower in my Heart by Jamie Langston Turner. Read 5 chapters last night...love it!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that a good one Bonnie? I read it not very long ago.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile
I am really enjoying it!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:13:46 PM  Show Profile
On my snow day today, I finished Bridge to Terabithia. It's a children's book, but boy is it ever good. It's not very long, but it has quite a story. I cried while I was reading the last several chapters. I can't wait to see the movie coming out soon. I don't know how I missed this one as a young girl.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I'm so glad you're enjoying it! Isn't Margaret amazing (and terrifying)? Most of the characters in that book are in Turner's others. I have read and loved them all, but Wildflower is my favorite, due to Birdie. :>) Jenny, you often like my favorite books!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I can't thank you enough for recommending it! First newer novel that has grabbed me in quite a while! And Margaret...well being in food service myself...my boss...well let's just say WOW!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  4:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Ann .....we do have the same taste in books alot of the time don't we?????

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  02:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading a great book about the moment, about a third of the way hrough. It is called How Mrs Claus Saved Christmas. It is about 1647 in England when Oliver Cromwell ruled and the Puritans banned Christmas. It is really different and cleverly written. Just by coincedence, my daughter is reading a children's book about the Puritans and how they banned dancing and music - it is about a gypsy family and how the gypsies suffered under Cromwell.
It has made me more interested in reading about Cromwell now - I enjoy reading biographies too.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  12:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I sincerely hope your boss isn't like the Margaret in the first half of the book!

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2007 :  12:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Very close!

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile
I am soooo sorry. Perhaps there's a lot of Birdie in you. I strongly suspect so.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  12:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour gal pals! Gonna be cracking the spine on (not REALLY) the awesome book Rosemary, my fellow Virginia farm gal pal sent me all the way from ol Virginny to France! Rosemary, you're a peach! Love, Nance
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  08:52:58 AM  Show Profile
I read Light on Snow by Anita Shreve recently, one of those I couldn't put down. It's basically about a girl and her widowed father finding an abandoned baby when they were walking in the snow-filled woods near their New Hampshire home. I also read A Pilots Wife a few years ago by the same author, very good book too. I think A Pilots Wife was an Oprah Bookclub pick.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  09:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh A Pilots Wife was a good one!! I will have to look for Light on Snow!
I just ordered (used..amazon.com as usual) A Garden to Keep by the same author as Some Wildflower in my Heart..looking forward to getting that one. I don't have a book that is new to read right now...have been mostly browsing my cow books. That is fun tooo, but need a novel to read always!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, give me your address and I'll send you Light on Snow. I like to pass on good books instead of having them sit around here. When you're done just pass it on to someone else.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
I am reading The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread by Kate Dicamillo. She is the author of because of Winn Dixie. It is a childrens book, but I love the themes, and the pictures!!! I have more of her books on hold in the library. She is a great children's author (and adults who think they are children)

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading King Authur & His Knights to the kids. Just finished Lonesome Gods & loved it. The discriptions of beauty in nature brought me to tears.
I also read; All flesh is grass : the pleasures and promises of pasture farming, the other night. Very interesting.
Not sure what to read next. Proably, Cattle : an informal social history, that I got from the library.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:33:51 PM  Show Profile
That is one of my 12 year old Daughter's all time favorite books Stacy...its sure a good one!
Cheryl..you are a doll...I sent you an email!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I got your email and sent you one too. I'll send it out to you today. I've been cleaning out stuff today and also found my Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte book and I remember that someone was wanting a copy of that. Was that you Jenny and if not if someone else would like it and then pass it on when they're done I'll send that out too.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  4:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I would love to read that one too!! If anyone is interested after I am done reading these I will follow Cheryl's good example and pass them on when I am done..just let me know.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page