Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I just started Sins and Needles (a needlecraft mystery) by Monica Ferris. Light, easy reading.
I finished Hit by a Farm..if any of you would like to read it I am ready to pass it on to a new home. It was funny.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  07:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,

I'll take "Hit by a Farm" if you haven't already passed it on. I've e-mailed my address to you.

Thanks, it sounds really good! I'll reimburse your postage if you'd like.
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:45:06 PM  Show Profile
This may sound crazy, but I am reading some children's books. I have a college class that is beginning next week called Children's Literature (I'm working on my teacher certification). I have read or have been reading and re-reading some good books...Charlotte's Web, The Secret Garden, Winnie-the-Pooh, Hatchet, Sarah Plain and Tall, and Watsons Go To Birmingham-1963.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  6:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Amber, not silly at all! I love to re-read classic childrens' books like the ones you mentioned. My favorite is "Where the Red Fern Grows" I love Anne of Green Gables too.
Ashley..I will get Hit by a Farm out to you!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Amber, I love reading so-called childrens' books - I have been trying to find Sarah Plain and Tall here as lots of farmgirls have mentioned it and I'd never heard of it. Still trying, no luck so far. I think I'll just have to do another amazon order!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  04:53:43 AM  Show Profile
I saw that many of you get your books from amazon, and I thought i'd mention that www.overstock.com has a wide selection of books and is almost always cheaper than amazon. There is also one called daedalus books that has really super low prices, but not the selection. You can still find some great new books for $3-$5.
I love the kids books too!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  05:21:22 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Megan! I just bought a book there that I was checking out on Amazon yesterday. It was cheaper at overstock and the the shipping was low too!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile
I'll mention the book talked about in another thread IF YOU LIVED HERE, I'D KNOW YOUR NAME by Heather Lende. I found it to be fabulous and enjoyable. That is a woman who is living her life to the fullest. I missed her when I was done reading it.

I am reading A WALK IN THE WOODS (another book mentioned on this site) and that is also great. Monica Ferris books are a new treat for me. I just finished HANGING BY A THREAD the other night and will get another of her books this weekend.

Have fun!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  2:18:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to check out overstock.com, too. I always comparison shop, especially with s/h prices. I like amazon.com and half.com for book prices. The best place, not on-line, that I find my books are at used books stores. I found all those children's books there for really discounted prices.

Jayne - I loved Sarah, Plain and Tall. I don't remember reading it as a girl. It is just a short book but it has a wonderful story. You'll enjoy it. I found it at all the websites we mentioned (both used and new). Good luck with your shopping.
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading the Little House on the Prarie the 2nd book in the Laura years. I'd like to go back and read the other books in the series outside the Laura years.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2007 :  10:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Amber, the most expensive class I ever took was Children's Literature...and that was because I kept making trips to the book store. My children's book collection is almost as large as MY reading book collection. I'm just waiting for the grandchildren to come along so I can share.

I love books by Don and Audrey Wood - the stories are precious and the illustrations are as entertaining as the stories. And you have to read OLD TURTLE. Wonderful story and beautiful watercolor illustrations.

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  03:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny,
I have read almost all of Monica Ferris's books that the library has here, they do not have the one you mentioned I am going to request that they get her entire series, the copies they have are definitely circulated quite frequently, I did just finish her "Crewel Yule" which of course was especially fun at this time of year! Another series that is fun and similar in flavor, some humor etc. is the Sounthern Sister books by Anne George (example title "Murder on a Bad Heir Day") it is so comforting to see by the posts how many of us are avid readers! Yeah!
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  06:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Sandy - Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to look up Old Turtle and read it.

I love Don and Audrey Wood, too. The funny thing is I had read a couple of their books, Piggies and King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, to my youngest son who is 14 now...and loved the stories and pictures. As I've accumulated more youngsters in my house with foster parenting and by working at the school, I have gotten to read more children's books. I loved The Napping House. I just read it this last year. It was great.
Another book, not by the Woods', I want to read is Bridge to Terabithia. I've heard it's great.

I guess I also need to add some adult titles to my list
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  07:19:28 AM  Show Profile
We LOVE the napping house around here! I am just loving that my little William is enjoying books and being read to. Of all the weird things, he requests Aesop's fables for children almost every night. Some of them seem a little rough around the edges, but he LOVES them. I'm still back in the "Goodnight Moon..." phase

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I found a beautiful new children's book called "the Big Book of Little" It is full of fairy rales, poems, etc, with beautiful vintage looking illustrations. It makes a great gift, I think I need to get one for my own kids now too.

-Megan
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Just picked up "Hit by a Farm" yesterday from the library read 1/3 of the book already last night.... Cracked up so hard I was crying. FUNNY!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on Jan 24 2007 1:57:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  03:45:08 AM  Show Profile
Just finished "Lady and the Unicorn" by Tracy Chevalier, who also wrote "Girl with a Pearl Earring; saw that at the theatre and now that I have seen how well she writes, I want to buy that paperback for sure! The "Hit by a Farm" sounds really good from what ya'll are saying so that may also be on the list. Love the suggestions from everyone. Nance
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  05:31:05 AM  Show Profile
How was Lady and the Unicorn? I really enjoyed Girl With A Pearl Earring. I haven't seen the movie yet, though.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  05:57:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nance in France

I just began reading "Sharing A Robin's Life" by Linda Johns, an artist and naturalist who lives in Canada: I forced myself to shut the book after the first chapter last night because I already know don't want it to end! For anybody who loves birds, this is amazing! I had to order it from Borders as an out of print book, but maybe B&Noble has it as a second hand book also. DEFINITELY going to get at least one of her other books. Nance

Nancy, my cousin in upstate New York recently sent me "A Robin's Life" and "Birds of a Feather: Tales of a Wild Bird Haven," both by Linda Johns. (My husband and I rescued a hatchling robin last year--we called him Birdbrain -- and it was one of the most amazing experiences of our lives.) I'd be happy to share "Birds of a Feather" with you if you don't see it in stores or online. You have to return it, though! It's among our favorites. Just send me your snail-mail addie backchannel and I'll pop it in the mail for you.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 27 2007 09:44:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  07:04:12 AM  Show Profile
@Amber - well, I read The Lady and the Unicorn a few weeks ago. I was rather "meh" about it when I finished - in my opinion, The Girl With a Pearl Earring was far better! Unicorn was pretty formulaic, I think trying to repeat the success of Earring. Still an enjoyable read, but I tend to be somewhat critical when reading books by the same author.

And I finally finished The Thirteenth Tale thanks to everyone talking it up here. Now that was a great book! (And I'm usually not a fan of the mystery genre, but this one had so much going for it - I do love a good gothic tale!)

Edited by - laluna on Jan 27 2007 07:05:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  09:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I am reading a book called "Eggs in the Coffee, Sheep in the Corn" right now. It is sure good! It is about a Minnesota farmwife in the 1940's and '50's...lots of real life farmwife stuff from that era (I love reading about that time in history!!) I am about 2/3 done now..I really recomend it. It has a few cute stories but isn't a really funny book..more real life stuff....but sure good.
I keep hearing about the Thirteenth Tale..will have to look for that one!
I love all the Jennifer Chiaverini quilting series..I have them all. I especially loved the ones about the Underground railroad!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  10:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Amber, since this (Unicorn) is the first book I have read by this author, I couldn't tell you if it was 'formulaic' writing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie for the Earring was such a beautiful period piece. You REALLY get a feel for how it was to live back then, such as the characters having to wind their way through pitch black narrow hallways clutching a candle. I will definitely read the Earring, too, and possibly her other books if I can find them cheaply.

Rosemary, AAAHHHHH, I would LOVE to borrow your Birds of a Feather and promise to send you my firstborn if something happens to it (yuck yuck). I will email you shortly, and thanks so much!!!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:57:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you girls, young adult books are very good. They don't ever drag and the content can sometimes be as involved as an adult book. When I was teaching, I would love reading Karen Hesse's books. She does some free verse and some short novels, but excellent writing and topics.
"Out of the Dust" is great, she also has another one called "Witness" I think, and "A time for angels" is good because she ends up on a farm in Vermont. Of course I loved that one!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  6:04:53 PM  Show Profile
"French Women for All Seasons"
"Rural Renaissance"
"Full Moon Feast"
"Becoming the Parent You Want to Be"
"Keepers of the Children"
"Keeping a Family Cow"
"Your Child At Play: One to Two Years"

Yes, I'm currently reading ALL of those. :)
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  6:55:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same room as Faith ~ I'm on either my 3rd or 4th read of "Voyager" - the 3rd in the series that she's reading. By Diana Gabaldon. I took it along with me when I went home for Christmas, cause I can usually just pick these up and put them down again, since I've read them already, but this time it grabbed me and I'm almost done now.
Anne - China Court sounds like it will be next on my list - it sounds a little like a Rosamunde Pilcher book - have you read her books? The Shell Seekers and Coming Home are two of my favorites and I love reading "Winter Solstice" at Christmastime. It is a wonderful story.

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page