knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile
I just wondered what everyone is reading in the middle of January? We don't have snow here in Kentucky, just lots of rain, so there is no better time than now for a good book. I just finished The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe (who is a wonderful writer from South Carolina.) Before that I read the Memory Keeper's Daughter. So, before I begin another one I am open to suggestions.
Thanks
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the middle of a few books...
The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, which is #5 in a series. The first one is Outlander. I highly recommend it!!!!
Moon Basket by SW Brouwer ...#2 in the series, Ghost Rider... it's a western
and I just got The Self-Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour

Another novel I have read that I enjoyed is Moon Women. I don't remember the author, but I liked the story a lot.

I'd love to hear what you decide to start and how you like it.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson

Edited by - faithymom on Jan 09 2007 11:15:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
You won't believe this but I am stuck in my copy of The Greatest Christmas Stories of All Time! It is just a darling book with 24 classic Christmas stories, many of which I had never seen before. Each one is more heart-touching than the last!
I guess I am just an old softie!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  10:16:31 PM  Show Profile
"Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. Great inspiration for those leaning towards a simpler life. I've also read a few books about women or couples who moved to the country and are living their farm dream. Also great inspiration. And,of course, my "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" manual.
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:30:39 PM  Show Profile
"And,of course, my "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" manual."

LOL, yes indeedy! The best ever!

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  03:54:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by faithymom

"And,of course, my "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" manual."

LOL, yes indeedy! The best ever!

I LOVE that...me too!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  04:05:11 AM  Show Profile
Right now I'm reading The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini (just started that series). I just finished The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan. It's about a woman who finds out she is a daughter of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Great read,and apparently part of a new series.

Good luck finding something you like!
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  04:16:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading two books. The first is Elizabeth George's "Before He Shot Her" and the other is "The Tipping Point" - Malcolm Gladwell.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  05:01:28 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "A Language Older Than Words" by Derrick Jensen . It is about how Western Culture and the emphasis on constant economic growth is inherently destructive societally, spiritually, and ecologically. It was hard to take at times. But I think it is a very eye-opening book.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  06:35:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm reading "Little Women", a borrowed copy from a young friend. The last time I read it was as a girl. I was curious to know how the movie differs from the book. Yes, it indeed has many differences! The same girl is planning to lend me her copy of the movie starring Elizabeth Taylor as "Jo". And my other book, set aside while I fast read L M Alcott, is one of the "Anne of Green Gables" series, "Anne of Ingleside". I'm definitely into "innocence" these days!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "China Court" by Rumer Godden, and it was so good I'm going back and reading it a second time. It's a story about several generations living in an English country house, and the stories are told in an intertwined way with bits of plot from each generation weaving in and out. I can't really explain what is drawing me so strongly to this book, but I feel like I've been visiting a place and I don't want to leave yet.

At the same time, I'm starting to read "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution". The politics of clothes is just fascinating. And I'm finding Marie Antoinette a much more sympathetic figure than her popular image would suggest. She never said, "Let them eat cake", for instance, and she wasn't even French.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  08:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Just finished "The Yada Yada prayer group gets caught" (5th in the series) and read "The Wright Three" after my daughter finished it, before that read "Fairest".

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  8:17:27 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I know curiousity killed the cat...but I have to ask. Is "Basic Instructions Before Leaving the Earth" a personal manual or an actual published book? It sounds very intriguing!

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  9:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I recently finished "For One More Day" by Mitch Albom (WONDERFUL!!!) and have ordered a couple new used books (that were recomended by farmgirls) that should arrive any time now (waiting impatiently ) on Amazon.com.
Actually today I have been reading the book on making the Underground Railroad sampler quilt that I am doing as a block a month project. The history and pictures in it are wonderful. But I do hope I have a new book in the mail tomorrow!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  9:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Just started Culture Warrior by Bill O'Reilly. It was a Christmas gift.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  11:14:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ponyexpress

Okay, I know curiousity killed the cat...but I have to ask. Is "Basic Instructions Before Leaving the Earth" a personal manual or an actual published book? It sounds very intriguing!

Real book and it is very good. Life-changing, in fact. Check it out.

It will be easier to find if you just use the initials of the title...

Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I love Jennifer Chiaverini books. I have read all of them. There's a new one coming out in April. I'm reading the first Harmony book. It came in the mail yesterday. I'm also reading the Cat who had 60 wiskers the new one by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading "Capital Crimes" a two short story book by Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. The first short story is "My Sister's Keeper" which so far is very good. It is a murder mystery surrounding a California State Representative's murder and her sorted past. I have two more books waiting in the wings after I finish this one - another Jonathan Kellerman one called "Gone" and the new Alice Hoffman book "Skylight Confessions". I haven't had any new books for so long, now I hit the motherload.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  07:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I get it now! Just looked at the initials of the book title..... So, in essence it is both a personal manual AND a published book.

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Yup, you got it!

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  9:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, have finished reading The Wedding Ring that you sent me - it was wonderful, made me cry heaps. I have just finished re-reading Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, and am going to try and find his latest in the library next week. I am now reading Voluntary SImplicity by Duane Elgin - have never read it before as wasn't available in Australia, so bought it on amazon.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  10:32:01 AM  Show Profile
I just began reading "Sharing A Robin's Life" by Linda Johns, an artist and naturalist who lives in Canada: I forced myself to shut the book after the first chapter last night because I already know don't want it to end! For anybody who loves birds, this is amazing! I had to order it from Borders as an out of print book, but maybe B&Noble has it as a second hand book also. DEFINITELY going to get at least one of her other books. Nance
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  2:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Let's see, I currently have Garrison Keillor's Homegrown Democrat going, along with French Women Don't Get Fat (I'm not overweight, but just find the whole concept/approach to eating and life fantastic), and because I'm teaching it to my students right now, I'm re-reading The Giver by Lois Lowry along with them - it's a rather intense YA book, especially considering our present situation in the world, and I have Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare in the queue to read next. *whew!*
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  5:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I just got a new book in the mail to read and read the first couple chapters this afternoon..."Hit By a Farm" by Catherine Friend..it was recomended here by a couple farmgirls..so far it is hilarious!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  9:54:22 PM  Show Profile
Pony,

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post, but you got it right - BIBLE :)
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:51:40 PM  Show Profile
I just borrowed Hit by a Farm from the library, but haven't opened it yet.
I received my book from Amazon... House Works by Cynthia Townley Ewer
It's good! I'm still trying to conquer the clutter-battle and get my home organized... It's a LONG journey...

Faith

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page