Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Weekly Organic Produce Co-op
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Weekly Organic Produce Co-op Next Topic  

JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
I order Organic Produce wholesale for 22 other families. We split it up into a bunch of wicker laundry baskets and everyone stops by on Tuesday evenings to pick up their share. It's lots of fun and we have gotten to know lots of like minded families.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  9:22:22 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea! Can I ask how much each person pays. Something like this just came to our area. The box is $25, and is filled with organic produce, and specialty items from around our state. I love it, but wish I could afford it every week. Right now it is just a monthly treat our family enjoys!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile
That's a great idea. Where do you get your produce?
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I was part of a group that did something like that for years. We had a monthly meeting where we all shared the items we would like to purchase. Then we would decide if enough would want to share the expense of a 25 or 50 pound bulk pack of the items desired. We even bought complete wheels of cheese every so often. From that we then figured out how much the total would be including shipping. We added up each families costs, divided the shipping cost and payed the elected order person. The order was placed and a delivery date was scheduled. On delivery day we would all come with baskets and bags to divide up the groceries. We had access to a grocers scale so weighing was easy.We spent an hour or two weighing and measuring while the kids all played together. It was so much fun! We always brough our own sack lunches but the host would provide drinks for us. We rotated the meeting place each month. We ordered all of our bulk from Azure Standard out of Oregon. Those of us with little vegie gardens would bring extra produce to the meeting and eggs if we had chickens to sell or barter with one another. We moved away and so I have not been involved in one of those great groups since.
Most of my neighbors where we moved to were navy wives who would prefer to shop at the commissary so I could never find enough women who wanted to start up one of these groups again.
It is such a great idea when there is no co-op near by.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile
We get the produce from B&B Organics, families can choose a $17 -20 per share or $34 -$40 share per week. Most people get the smaller share or split a large share with a friend. We are hoping to fine local farmers who will grow orgaic produce for us this summer.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Weekly Organic Produce Co-op Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page