knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am 52 years old and have decided this will be the year I learn how to quilt. I may only make one, but I am determined to at least do one. I am presently working on the Broken Dishes pattern and what I need to know from you experienced quilters is how big to make a double size quilt or do I just go and buy and the batting and make my quilt top big enough to fit the batting. Now if you have questions about crocheting, oil painting, candle making or sewing in general I can help you but quilting is all new to me.
Thanks for the help
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  12:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy. I would like to quilt this year too! I will be watching this thread to see any advice you get. You are way ahead of me though. I haven't gotten started on one yet, only looked at one pattern. Not sure if I will use it or not. It was a freebie hanging in the store. Just thought I would pick it up & see how to do it. I am sure there are some patterns online too. Just haven't had the time to search for one yet. I am new to sewing (just got my 1st machine). Not sure if it would be better to hand sew or machine.

How do you all choose the colors that are going into your quilt? I know that some use material from clothing that may have belonged to someone in their family. What is the best kind of fabric for quilting & how do you know if it will all work in the same quilt if there are different types of fabric?

Thanks!

Live! Laugh! Love!
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  05:49:35 AM  Show Profile
OK. There are general sizes listed for quilts for beds. Of course, I can't lay my hands on them at this moment. about.quilting.com is a good place to start for basic information, an issue of American Patchwork and Quilting put out by BHG OR their special publication Quilts and More will offer you plenty of info on techniques. There is a Broken Dishes pattern in the book on Pink Quilts for Breast cancer which I use often. I'll have to look it up for you, though.

As for pattern, I think that starting smaller might be nice. This way you get the satisfaction of completing a lap quilt and feel confident about starting another project. Eleanor Burns has wonderful books out there about Quilt in A Day. Her Still Stripping is her first book and it is marvelous. She has wonderful, easy to follow directions with detailed step by step drawings and pictures.

My first quilts were tied quilts to get them completed quickly. Now you can also hire out machine quilters to do it for you. Berries from this site has her own machine quilting business. I have two quilts being finished by her.

One of the KEYS to success is buying a quarter inch foot for your machine. You need to be able to sew EXACT 1/4" seams. You can mark with tape o nthe throat plate, but the foot helps me so much better to be exact. This way when you sew pieced parts together for your block, they will match up. After that, a walking foot is helpful for doing layers (like if you decide to machine quilt your quilt yourself.)

A rotary cutter and mat make quick work of cutting strips, squares, rectangles and half square triangles. They come out exact and it is so easy as well as conserving fabric.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Kathy -- I want to learn this year too. I've been saying that for 5 years but this is the year. I have all the supplies, just need to courage to start. I'll be anxious to see what tips are posted too.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Add me to the list of farmgirls who want to learn to quilt. My friend Cilla gave me a huge basket of quilting supplies for Christmas- everything I will need to get the job done. Now, to just figure out what to do with it all!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  1:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,

You might like to start with a Log Cabin quilt which is really easy and is assembled with straight stitching. It's also a great take along project. This one is very easy to do by hand if you want. Or -- you can do a very easy lap quilt with 6 1/2" blocks on the machine. Just choose three different colors of fabric, cut your blocks (you can buy a 6 1/2" square to do your cutting with), and sew a straight seam on the machine. You can do your design by first laying them on the floor to see how you want it to look. I like making the colors go in a diagonal direction. I always pre-wash my fabric in warm water, with 1/4 cup white venegar, and Tide. Just jump in and start. We all had to start somewhere! Good Luck ; )

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jan 07 2007 3:50:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic quilting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page