Page: of 2

ShawnMarie
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

ShawnMarie
Dauphin PA
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2004 :  4:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ShawnMarie an AOL message
I can't start the retired husbands topic... my isn't retired and still needs to keep busy someplace other than my kitchen, unless he wants to do dishes.

As for the kitchen, my Mom's cast iron frying pan, cast iron Dutch oven, my Grandma's patty pans (for small pies) and my favorite paring knife are things I couldn't live without. Also my glass milk bottles... they keep the milk so much colder. And my Kitch Aid mixer... love that dough hook!

I just finally broke down and got a food processor, a Kitchen Aid on clearance at Kohls for $84 down from $249. It was a steal at that price since it was the last one. I just couldn't spend a lot on it since most gadgets just sit in my house, but $84 was within my budget.

**Expect Pleasure**
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2004 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm wondering if any of the Farmgirls use a bread machine? I've been thinking of getting one since my hands give me a lot of trouble when it comes to kneading dough for bread. Do you think it's worth it? I'd probably start making my own bread again, at least once a week but I'm not sure if I'd like the results.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2004 :  10:45:50 PM  Show Profile
I don't have the counterspace to devote to a machine that does only one thing. I use my kitchen-aid with bread hook. It works great for kneading. Good luck whatever you decide!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

sugar1
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Diane
Fostoria MI
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  10:11:37 AM  Show Profile
I second the notion of "kinship". I inherited many of my great aunt's kitchen supplies two years ago after she moved into a nursing home. Many of her belongings were donated, but for some reason I couldn't bear to let her kitchen stuff go. Most of her things are from when she got married in the forties. Every time I use her measuring spoons I think of her, measuring out food rations during the war, wondering when her husband would return home. (He did.)

I also use the dough hook on my kitchenaid mixer, and I have a bread machine. The dough hook seems to make much better bread, the bread machine isn't bad, though. I mostly use the bread machine for kneading and rising, then I bake it in the oven.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2004 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your input on breadmaking. I guess I'm leaning towards using a bread hook; actually my hand mixer has one, I haven't used it yet because I didn't think it would be powerful enough. Guess I'll have to just try it out. I have to agree on the counter space issue, also using a machine for only one purpose. Still thinking on it....

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2004 :  09:59:36 AM  Show Profile
I have never had a bread machine...although my sister swears by hers. I have used my dough hook on my faithful old kitchen aid for bread dough though and it does work great.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  09:10:01 AM  Show Profile
My kitchen is rather like cooking in a VW bus, very little counter space but the bread machine occupies a place of honor on the counter top!

I think having one or not having one depends on how much you use it and the reasons for using. I admittedly love gadgets but this is one i thought about long and hard before buying. In my case i have a husband who hates store bread and while he was working he liked to take his lunch every day, usually a sandwich. At the time i bought the bread machine they were very expensive but i quickly calculated, the expense vs. my time (little), the wear and tear on my hands (i had an autoimmune disease and as a result my hands are very arthritic so i find some types of exercise helpful and others to produce just pain and fatigue...kneading dough means i will do little else with my hands that day :-{

My big Kitchen Aid Mixer has a dough hook and i have used it at times but i still prefer the bread machine. Perhaps some of it depends on the brand of bread machine. Mine is well over 10 years old and still performs beautifully, we have had to replace the belt numerous times since it really gets a regular workout. The one we have is a Zojirushi and if it ever croaks i will buy another of this brand. Their newer models even have a setting for sour dough which is one thing i don't make in the bread machine (it over kneads it). For sour dough i use the food processor.

So there you have it just one more point of view :-) Years ago when i used to make bread by hand i very much enjoyed the rhythm of kneading the dough and the feel of it as it changed shape and texture. I loved breathing in that yeasty, flour scent particularly if the flour is freshly milled mmmmm. Wonder why Maryjane doesn't sell flour from her mill ala King Arthur?

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile
my cast iron pots and pans
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen tools/gadgets/machines Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page