Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Trying to learn...... Next Topic  

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi All, It's no secret that I absolutely hate to cook! While talking with my sister who loves to cook and is great at it we realized that maybe the reason I hate to cook is because I've no real knack for it? Mom was home and did all the cooking when I was growing up and years later went to work and would have recipes and beginning meal preparations done for Sis to cook for supper in her place. By then, I was off on my own and trying to "make do" with whatever came out of a can, fast food or box!

Well, here it is all these many years later and I'm tired of not being able to make delicious homecooked meals like the comfort foods I grew up on.

So, anyone willing to share some simple cooking tips, ideas, recipes for a novice like me? I can shingle a roof, dig a garden, quilt and craft to my hearts content and yet have no "talent" for putting things together to make a decent meal....I lack the "know-how" of putting foods/spices together and how to stock a kitchen for homemade meals every night!

Thanks for not laughing, truly not being able to cook has really shaken my confidence in entertaining, how sad is it when my nephew cooks gourmet meals without any special schooling and I can barely boil water!

Thanks for your suggestions!

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü

Edited by - hapyhrt on Oct 18 2005 2:34:13 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like me when I first moved out on my own...couldn't boil water, but absolutely refused to eat the canned peas and waxed beans I'd been raised on!
Not sure just what to suggest Sher...what if you sat down with a pad of paper and made a menu for a week of exactly what you'd like to have for dinner each night. Then go on the hunt for the recipes. I know some of the folks here have some great tried and true ones and I'd be happy to contribute my own if you'd like.
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  2:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, thanks for your great suggestion. I'll maybe figure out a couple meals to start with and then look up their recipes and give it a try. I suppose like anything else in life it's the old adage of "practice makes perfect!" :)

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm a great cook (she says, modestly), but I'm fearless in the kitchen. I'll try anything that sounds good and usually it is, sometimes it's not! The Food Network might help - there's one show called How to Boil Water that is geared for beginners. I'd find a cookbook you like and just start practicing following recipes - the creative part will follow. There are some good basic cookbooks out there - Fannie Farmer was the first I bought when I was about to get married. First thing I made was lasagna and my husband and family loved it. Over time, I've tweaked that recipe to make it more to our liking. My favorite cookbooks now are by Barefoot Contessa - most of her recipes are easily followed and everything is delicious.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Sher I didn't know how to cook for the longest time either back when DH and first were dating. My mom was a good cook but she hated it. My MIL is an awesome cook so I learned some things from her and then I just did what has already been mentioned here, I found recipes I liked and began to try. I watch Food Network and have learned a lot of tips and techniques as well as recipes. I still don't consider myself a good cook because I'm a recipe cook not a creative cook. To make something up or just throw things together--doesn't happen because who knows what it will taste like but I think of something that sounds good and find the recipe online or from friends. I LOVE to cook but it takes time to learn...hang in there and enjoy trying the recipes!!!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  6:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Sher -

I've been cooking forever..., since I was about 10. I am still learning new things, it is a never ending process. I do suggest, if you are interested, in subscribing to Cuisine at home. It is a monthly magazine that has simple recipes for good comfort type home cook meals. It also gives you tips on how to pick certain cookware, what terms like braise mean and how to do it, there is a question and answer section in the back, plus it has wonderful step by step photos along with the instructions for each recipe. I loved the one where you could cook a whole fryer in a cast iron skillet and make the stuffing with it at the same time. A meal in one pan kinda thing. In October's issue there is a recipe for deep dish pizza, made in a cast iron skillet.

It's a thought.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  8:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Sher - my mom was a fabulous cook and made the best comfort food. I used to help her some in the kitchen but she never really taught me. I have a few dishes that I can make that are good but for the most part I don't consider myself a very good cook. I need to take the time to teach myself how to make good bread, pies, etc. I tend to get stuck in a rut making the same stuff for dinner all the time and would love to venture out of my comfort zone and make new things. Food Network is awesome as is America's Test Kitchen on Public Broadcasting. The best way to learn is to just get a recipe and go for it! Learn from your mistakes. So I'm going to take my own advice and try something new tomorrow!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  9:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Sher-What kinds of things do you like to eat? I may be able to offer some suggestions to help you. Like KJD, I am fearless in the kitchen. I'm a mad chef when I'm in the mood to cook. However, I also have some staple things that I keep around....which are simple & easy & tasty...and you can add to them as you become more confident int the kitchen. I don't really follow recipes, but if you have favorite foods...etc...I can send you some ideas for keeping your kitchen stocked.
Love, Judes
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  07:06:48 AM  Show Profile
Sher, I was blessed to have a mom that was an outstanding instinctive cook. She taught me how to figure out ingredients by smell and taste, and to reproduce dishes this way. She also taught me how to figure out what was lacking in a food; if it needed more richness, more salt, more sweet, more tang, more herbs, etc, and how to fix it. It was great learning at her knee.

As was said before, it's a lifelong learning process. I'll make a couple of suggestions. The people who put out the Quick Cooking magazine come up with some easy country foods that are nice for beginners, with lots of pictures so you can decide if you'll like it.

And I'd also recommend a book for everyone called "How Cooking Works." It's available on Amazon, and discusses the science behind how leavening works, how fats break the surface tension on bubbles in starches, etc. It's fascinating, and helps a person develop the instincts for cooking. Because it's fine to know how, but even better to know why.

I'd suggest you think of a few dishes you like, and begin there. Find a few different ways to do it, and pick which one you and your family like best. Then you can branch out as your confidence increases, developing more and more skills. Before you know it, you'll be cooking from scratch, baking bread, and inventing your own recipes!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  07:50:27 AM  Show Profile
Sher- There is a magazine called Taste of Home that has alot of easy recipes without alot of ingredients that turn out well. This would be a good place to start because most of the recipes are straightforward and recognizable! Cooks Illustrated and Cook's Country would also be an excellent choices for you as the instructions are so clearly spelled out for each dish it's nearly impossible to go wrong! You can also just type into your search engine whatever recipe name you are looking for and it will bring up a whole list to choose from. You can compare and see which sounds like what you remember.Start with easy stuff and folllow the directions and you will be cooking well in no time!Also, if you can get family recipes you know you like , that's half the battle!(I did not always like to cook, but it has "grown" on me!)

As for good basic cookbooks: Fannie Farmer, Better Homes and Gardens and New York Times cookbook, The Joy of Cooking. They have just about any food you grew up with and then some! You can probably preview all of these from the library and try them out. I have alot of other cookbooks which have become favorites but any one of the these I listed will be a good place to start. If you want vegetarian The Moosewood books are great, easy, delicious and healthy!

Other favorites: Susan Branch books, any Southern Living cookbook,
Julee Rosso's Silver Palate Cookbooks or her Great Good Food (Lower Fat recipes).I don't like the Martha cookbooks because my experience has been that if it turns out at all, it doesn't usually taste that great! Hope we've given you enough "food" for thought!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Sher:

Do you have a friend who is an awesome cook? I would get together with her and learn some of the basics that I teach my children

Making a basic white sauce.
When making a cake, be very accurate about measurements and never alter the ingredients.
Never leave the stove or grill when cooking something (unless you are boiling something for hours) so you can avoid scorches and burns.

My favorite Basic cookbooks are "Joy of Cooking" and "Better Homes and Gardens". Once you master some of these tried and true recipes you can really move on to bigger and better. I also like a book called Desperation Dinners by Mills and Ross. It is very simple cooking for those with a busy schedule. I often give this as a wedding present to new brides. Our family has tried many of the recipes and find them to be quite satisfying.

Good luck in your adventure and keep asking questions!!

Tania in Boise

Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:03:20 AM  Show Profile
Sher:
Two words, Crock Pot. Lots of yummy comfort foods can be made in a crock pot. I like that I can throw ingredients in in the morning and let it go all day. I'm a morning person and have a hard time getting motivated to cook dinner in the evening. Basically, it's ready when you are and the house smells FABULOUS. One of the hardest parts of cooking, for me, is getting all the parts ready at the same time, and for the most part, the crock pot solves that. I also really like www.savingdinner.com for menu ideas and lists of ingredients. The meals are simple, delicious and good for you. Several options are available including crock pot meals and there are free sample menus to print out and try. I also like "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook, every new bride should receive one.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  10:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Sher- I have expanded a lot on my cooking skills in the last couple of years due to the desire to eat healthier and staying away from processed, boxed foods. I read the Maker's Diet book and a majority of recipes in the book come from one called"Nourishing Traditions", by Sally Fallon. I haven't made one recipe out of there that I didn't like and it has introduced me to new ingredients and ways to season food. I also always refer to my tried and true Better Homes and Gardens cook book(the one with the red checked notebook style cover). I have also used Taste of Home magazine and Martha Stewarts Cooking magazine is also very good as well. Good luck!!

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile
A good cook book to have when first starting to learn how to cook is The Joy of Cooking. I say this because I really learned a lot from this book. it's very informative, tells you about the food before giving you a recipe. Not all of it's recipes are the greatest but it's all the info that makes it one of the best books to own ( thats what I think) Like say you bought bok choy and you have no idea how to cook it. Well you look up bok choy and there it is, how the steam it, stir fry it and all kinds of stuff. No one taught me how to cook though I came from amazingly good cooking genes I was 3000 miles from anyone who would have taught me, so this book was it. You can always find it used, just get a more recent one so it's up to date with healthy preperations and the such.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey another suggestion is when I first started cooking, I wasn't work much at the time and spent a lot of time at the local library and I would read every veg cookbook in the place almost from front to back. Or think about the things you like to eat and start there. Don't be afraid to cook, we have all burnt something at one time or another. My DH is now in the process of learning to cook more since I'm working so much and he's doing such a great job. You just have to learn what goes with what and then start experimenting. But don't be afraid of it, it's just food.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  06:54:04 AM  Show Profile
Sher, I'm going to add one lone dissenting voice to the throngs who are suggesting The Joy of Cooking. Yes, it's a good book, but it requires a lot of cross-referencing and can be a bit complicated at times.

In my opinion, the best cookbook author for beginners is Mark Bittman. His general book is called How to Cook Everything and his "Minimalist" books are good, too. They don't presuppose that you know anything at all, and the recipes are usually really simple. After you've mastered Bittman, attack The Joy of Cooking with wild abandon.

Here's a link to his amazon.com page http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-0266512-9755207

Question, by the way...did you ever watch your mother in the kitchen? If you did, then you know a lot more than you think you do.
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  11:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all for your wonderful suggestions! I'm in the process of looking through some recipes that I found through Taste Of Home- site online, also Sis has said she will help me learn to make some of the comfort foods we grew up with when she has a bit more time, yay!
I forgot to mention, hubby is an extremely picky eater, refuses to eat most if not all vegetables, refuses chicken, fish, pasta except for vermicelli, cassoroles, baked beans, salads and most everything that I like! :(
I asked his mother years ago if he was always picky as a child and she said, "definately not!, with 9 people in the household it was eat whatever was placed in front of you or go hungry!" , well hubby was an extremely skinny kid but heck, he must have ate something all those years! We've been married over 25 years and he's yet to put a piece of chicken to his lips, stubborn man for sure! *Sigh*

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  12:05:25 PM  Show Profile
Sher, I am also learning to cook more. The last family gathing when the fire alarm went off-they said "Ellen's cooking-dinner's done." Nope-they weren't being mean-it is the truth. I was glad you started this post as I got many good tips.
I just got my latest krafts food magazine and thought I would share since I hadn't seen it mentioned. It is full of information and the web site even has some cooking classes which I am just now checking out-here is the link
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  4:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I never had any inclination to spend time in the kitchen growing up. The outdoors was my thing. In college it was whatever came out of a box or can - or I'd bake chocolate chip cookies. A batch of those could serve me as breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days! lol.

Then I got married - we had this deal - he cooks, I clean. Well it was great for about a year and a half, but I started CRAVING the kinds of food my mom made. DH often made instant stuff, or Hamburger Helper or frozen pizzas and stuff - I'd never had any of that as a child so it was okay for a while.

So I was shopping one day and came across an Italian cookbook (side note - Mom did not cook Italian - she had a lot of casseroles and I STILL want those recipes!). Up to then my favorite cookbook was "The I hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken - I just liked to read her snide comments really. I only made the spice and oatmeal cookies from her book - that was all!

At about the same time, we had started gardening and I had TONS of tomatoes - 21 plants all producing in the backyard, and not a clue what to do with them. So I bought the book. I read it for a month, then once in a while I'd make dinner. A lot of what I made at first was awful! I didn't know Gorgonzola cheese tasted so bad, or what the conversions from litres to quarts were...

I still am experimenting and learning, but now it is fun! I make white bread about twice a week (no bread machine here) and some kind of cookies or fruit yummy once a week as well. My fail-safe is onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Sautee them with some fresh herbs and maybe some garlic, toss them on pasta - dinner's ready. I get compliments on my cooking - and a fellow in town thinks I should open a bakery. HA!

Oh and absolutely do NOT experiment with changing cake recipes! No good ever comes of that! But otherwise I change recipes all the time now depending on my mood or what I have in the fridge vs. what the recipe calls for. Sometimes great things come of that... sometimes I wonder if DH is secretly wanting to order a pizza.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile
i don't hate to cook .. but i'm easily distracted into doing something else fun while already doing something else fun (especially cooking) .. i guess the one bit of advice i'd have to give (to myself) would be to 'find other projects to do IN THE KITCHEN while cooking! frannie

oh .. and while it is probably important to 'follow directions' when "learning" to cook .. it is lots of fun to deviate and add your own touches from time to time .. isn't that pretty much how 'recipes' are made up in the beginning?
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Trying to learn...... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page