Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What kind of stove/range do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What kind of stove/range do you have? Next Topic
Page: of 2

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:28:09 PM  Show Profile
What kind of stove/range do you have? Is the oven part of it or do you have a separate oven? Do you have one or more ovens? Is your stove/range gas or electric? How old is it? Did you pick it or did it come with your house? Do you love it or hate it...or somewhere in between? Is it easy to clean? Which stove/range is your absolute dream?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I have a ceramic top Kenmore, have had it for 6 yrs, bought it right after we bought the house.It is electric. I love it, the ceramic top makes cleanup a breeze. Although you can't use cast iron cookware on it, and the cookware you use has to have flat bases for even cooking.But..I can still make cornbread in a cast iron skillet in the oven though.:0)
Now if I had a "dream" oven..it would be one of those old fashioned looking stoves converted to electric. Although I have cooked on a gas stove before, it really isn't my favorite method, mainly because I remember growing up in a house where folks would often forget that they had turned on a burner, walk away, get busy doing something else..and the house would smell of gas..not a pleasant thing and a danger.
With my stove there are lights that come on to let you know that the cooktop is hot, beeper to let you know when the oven is preheated, etc.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I have an old,old gas apartment size stove made by Belknap Hardware(used to be here in Louisville - store has been torn down). Above it I have a combination convection/microwave oven - I've really loved that thing and I don't think they are made anymore. :( My dream oven is out in the farmhouse, just covered up and waiting for me to move there...It was made by Lindemann & Hoverson in the late 1920's - early 1930's. It's a beautiful green/cream beauty with contoured legs. It's the color of my Jadeite Fire King dishware. It was love at first sight. I've tried to research the company that made it, but it's hard to find much about them. I bought an old iron on ebay in the original box made by them. If anybody knows of Lindemann & Hoverson, I'd be ever so grateful for any info. you could give me.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a KitchenAid dual fuel with the heavy commercial type grates all across the top. Big burner has a high heat flame, and part of the grate comes out to use a wok. That burner has two flame outlets, so it can be used on a very low simmer with just the small center burner or full blast for stir frying or such. Burners are sealed. Top is black and not easy to keep clean, which suprised me. Oven can be used regular or convection. Three racks,one is split so you can back something large like a turkey and have half the rack for something else. I see they have basically the same stove now with an oven steam feature which would be wonderful for baking bread.
Overall, I'm happy with it. Would have loved a commercial type range, like a Wolf, but it's not practical for home use without extra space around the stove to disburse the heat these put out. Front and trim are stainless steel. My KitchenAid fridge next to it is black and I didn't want so much black in the kitchen, but it goes well with the cooktop being black.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:14:20 PM  Show Profile
the Lindemann's were no longer made after 1981, they are difficult to find from what I found out on google search. sounds very interesting though...and pretty.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Tina, I didn't know that. I did know that they started out just making small electric lamps and small appliances. It has been very hard to find out anything at all about them. Thanks for this new tidbit of info to add to my list.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 03 2007 1:37:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah, I have a JennAir. It has modules on the top so I can have a grill for steaks or a griddle for pancakes, or use the glass cooktops there. And the oven has a convection feature that you can use, or you can shut that part down. I like the way the heat can be dialed down so low, so it can double as a food dehydrator. It also has two timers on it, so you can keep track of two separate things at once.

There's a huge fan in the middle that sucks so hard, you won't know if your food's burning if you're not careful. The steam/smoke from the pans goes sideways and down! I really do love it though.
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  2:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,

I have a ceramic top stove, too. But I haven't had any trouble using cast iron on it. I just don't scoot it across it ever.

Val
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  6:21:58 PM  Show Profile
My friend was boiling water on her ceramic top stove, and it was way over the time that it should have boiled. so I sugested a different pan, so we poured it into a different pan and it started to boilr right away.
The pan she had it in was a VERY flat on the bottem pan. thats the only thing we could come up with as to why it wouldnt boil
very weird
shirley
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile
My current stove/oven is the one I inherited when we bought this place - a 1970's vintage, one piece unit with the stove/oven on the bottom and the microwave on top. Makes the back burners very difficult to reach, and so I rarely use them. I would love a new unit, but this dang thing just won't quit!!

What I think would work well for us is the newer Maytag unit. Rather than having a pull-out drawer at the bottom, they moved the space to the top and made it a smaller oven. Perfect size for cooking for two. The racks in the lower oven are on rollers, and they extend out farther than "traditional" ovens which makes placing dishes in and out of the oven much easier.

Sandy

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  9:28:45 PM  Show Profile
I grew up cooking on an already antiquated 1920-30's enamel and chrome double oven space ship! It was very spacious had shelves and pot ledges and my Mom somehow managed to keep it going and it looked beautiful. The last time it broke down the repairman said "Lady, this stove is obsolete didn't anyone ever tell you?" As if we were living in a time capsule or something! Sadly, we could not find an element and it moved to a "retirement village" for old appliances!
Bet with ebay now we could have found one!

I have a second hand Jennair down draft grill top from the late 80's.
Good for it's time and me being a new bride but I definitely know what I want now! Double wall ovens( electric) and a seperate six burner gas Viking or Wolf with the grill pan. Just cooked on one at Thanksgiving at the SIL's and couldn't find a thing I didn't like about it! I love the look of those vintage Elmira Stoveworks stoves but I don't know anything about how they cook. My aunt had an Irish wood fired stove that they bought in the 80's (that's how I got the Jenn Air) and she absolutely loved it but said you had to develop a knack for cooking in and on it! It was a pretty little stove, I always hoped I might get that 2nd hand too, but no luck! My cousin has it at her cabin and it is just perfect there! Are you buying a new stove in your recuperation time Rebekah? Hope you are feeling better soon!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  12:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, How funny...no, I'm not buying, I'm dreaming! I've got a pile of kitchen design magazines by me, Lord knows why. I adore the look of those old stoves. So charming and nostalgic. I've wondered if they cook well and how hard it is to keep them running. Janice's sounds incredible! I also love the look of those free-standing Vikings. The price, though, is quite shocking. I designed my "dream kitchen" 7 years ago. Didn't take long to realize that it wasn't my "dream kitchen" afterall. Funny how that happens. (Are y'all ready for me to get out of the house and away from the computer? I guess I'm jabbering too much lately.) Anyway, I prefer gas cooking for the stove and electric ovens. I did the double oven this go around and wonder now how I lived with just one for so long. We get spoiled quickly, don't we? Anyone have one of those Elmiras? Or an AGA? Anyone actually use a wood-burning stove to cook?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, you have the cooktop I'm waiting for... I have an electric cooktop, almost the age of our marriage. I should note, that other than replacing one burner, it's never needed a repair. However, there isn't one flat burner--everything drifts toward one edge, every burner a different direction. My oven finally died, and I now have a double frigidaire convection. I absolutely love it--it can have the temperature gauge changed to be used for dehydrating food, and has the keep warm feature. I have my baking stone in the bottom oven, but it is wonderful to be able to bake different things at differing temperatures.

Rebekah, we got the AGA information a few years ago (we dream and plan at a snail's pace here) and decided it would keep putting out too much heat where we are--doesn't it stay hot pretty much all of the time? Ditto for the wood-burning stove for cooking. I'd have to have a "summer kitchen" with airconditioning. Now, an outside wood burning brick oven has been discussed a lot more seriously. Mmmmm, bread.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  8:06:35 PM  Show Profile
I bought a Kenmore stove. Had to be all electric. Not crazy about it at all, but it is a good baker. Just need to adjust the temperature. It has the standard four burner electric coils on top. I would definately not have the digital controls on the front face like it is now. I think I would prefer them on the top to the side like the one that gave out before we had to buy this one.

Oh, and Janice here is an online catalog you might really enjoy:

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/tp&CISOPTR=4013

Hope that works.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  7:48:50 PM  Show Profile
My stove is very boring (came with the house, one of the burners stopped working, ugly beige color). I would love to get one of those old-fashioned stoves you've all been mentioning. Are you talking about the ones that have a higher part on one side of the burners? Is that the oven, or some kind of plate warmer? I used to see one in the basement of the home belonging to an elderly neighbor...my first job was doing housework for her on Saturdays...she had it moved down there when she got a newer stove, and she used it for canning. I never saw her use it, so I don't know how it worked, that's why I'm asking. It looked a lot like the one pictured in the Back Country Food issue of Mary Jane's magazine.

Although I wouldn't mind getting a brand-new shiny stove some day. Now that I think of it, neither I nor my parents have ever had one that wasn't second hand. And my grandparents bought theirs in probably 1965. Just like you, Ann, they got a convection oven when the oven died.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, I have a new Maytag gas stove converted to propane. It has 5 burners and a split shelf in the oven so you can cook a turkey and still put other pans in it. The stove its self works great but it is black in color and for the life of me I can not get it to clean so that it is not greasy looking. I have even gone so far as to use chemicals to try and degrease it. I hate the way it looks dirty all the time but it not yet a year old so I think a new one would be out of the question. If any one has any suggestions on how to clean it. I would love them.

3 Blue Start Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:33:37 AM  Show Profile
I have a gas GE stove and GE electric oven. I hate them. It takes forever to boil water on the stove and the oven does not stay at a constant temperature. They came with the house (we are the second owners). The oven is a strange size it is going to take some remodeling to install a new one. I keep hoping we will be able to make some major changes to the kitchen but something always comes up that I want to spend the money on more. Right now it is my new garden paths and raised beds and outdoor oven. Don't know when we will get around to replacing it.
Love the Aga have you seen the prices??? I think for that kind of money it would have to make dinner itself every night. My good friend has one and she loves it. It does require regular tune ups like a car. She has someone come in every six months for the tune up and she said it runs around $350 each time. That is if it does not need a part. I'm with you. I keep dreaming up a new kitchen and decide it is not for me. I love the dreaming part.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a conventional electric self-cleaning range/oven combination here. It is at least 20 years old. Unfortunately it still works. The temperature fluctuates and the burner is bent, it lies on the bottom of the oven. The oven racks are slightly off level, so my cakes are always higher on one side than the other. I would love to replace it. I'd love to have a gas stove but we are all-electric here... Of course when I look at replacing it I keep thinking how I'd like to remodel the kitchen, which leads to thoughts of adding on a new dining room to expand the kitchen. I'd like to put the microwave over the range, but that's out because our cabinets are too low. The kicker is that I already can't reach the top shelf of any of our cabinets because I'm too short.... Anyway the whole package is so expensive I keep putting off thinking about it as long as the range keeps working.

At our farm, I have a 1970's-vintage Corning glass cooktop. It heats up very slowly and cools off very slowly and has hot spots. I absolutely HATE cooking with it. None of the pans there, including my cast-iron and Corning ware, are flat enough to really make good contact with the stove top. Last summer I ignored the warning on my canner not to use it on a glass-top range thinking, what would be the worst thing that could happen? If the cooktop broke I would have to replace it? Unfortunately, nothing bad happened, it still works too. I have a wall oven there and since it is from the 1950's it is getting to the point where it is rusted out. So last time we were there we went shopping for a new oven... Only went to Lowe's, but found out that the small, narrow wall ovens are not very common any more. Again, replacement of the appliance is probably going to lead to tearing out all the cabinets and remodeling... too expensive to contemplate until something actually breaks....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  9:06:48 PM  Show Profile
brioght meadow said "I have a conventional electric self-cleaning range/oven combination here. It is at least 20 years old. Unfortunately it still works." LOL!
I've been there for sure!!!
We just bought our house in June and I have a new Maytag gas oven/range. It's OK...it's miles above the one in the rental we moved out of (it was not level and not at temperature)
I mostly like the gas range for cooking, but handles ALWAYS get too hot to grab without a hotpad, which never happened on any electric stove I've used and for some reason the flame between HIGH and MED is lower than either one... I sound like such a complainer, but I guess I expected better from a brand-new oven...

My dream...double convection Wolf ovens with range on an island...
Then I'd need a kitchen half the size of our current house...
ACTUALLY...I think my real dream, not matter what oven I have, is to be able to do all the cooking and baking that I like to do and have someone else clean up the mess! LOL... I'll most likely get that Wolf oven before THAT ever happens...ha ha

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  07:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Let's see...I have a Kenmore bone-colored enamel gas oven/range. All in one, with black burners and I absolutely love it--it wasn't the most expensive ($375-400?), but I cook every night and it keeps up with me. It's also easy to clean and it has this great warmer drawer at the bottom where others have pot storage so when I'm making larger meals, I can store things away and keep them toasty (low, med. and high). I grew up with electric and when I moved out, had a small gas stove and I had to manually light the pilot everytime--believe it or not, I've been hooked on gas ever since. This Kenmore replaced an Avocado green gas stove that came with my 1930's bungalow (that incidentally exploded while I was baking a casserole--not a comment on the casserole, I presume :)). Unfortunately, I still have the avocado sink and range hood because even though I have the pretty new replacements, I have to find someone to do the work (and also the money!).

My dream stove is an AGA. Lived in England for a while and had a red one in my flat that I was crazy about--gorgeous to look at wonderful to cook with.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  08:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- My MIL wanted an AGA for the longest time (too many Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher books...)and after she got it she kept saying "It's so hot I can't stand it!" We thought she was kidding until we house sat one time and couldn't figure out why the house was so stuffy! Because it stays ON all the time, the air has a tendency to dry out if you have a well built home. After about a year of complaints, my FIL sold the stove to someone down the road with a drafty old farmhouse. A match made in heaven for all concerned! I do love the way they look and cooking on them takes some getting used to but is nice.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:46:03 AM  Show Profile
That makes perfect sense, Bramble!!! I lived in an old stone farmhouse from the 1700's, pretty much right on the north coast of Cornwall and the only other heat I had was a fireplace, so no wonder I loved that AGA!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  11:13:39 AM  Show Profile
I have a really old Kenmore almond color gas range. It is self cleaning, which I love. I put the burners and burner pans in when it is cleaning and they come out with ash. All you have to do is wash them off and they are slick as a whistle.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  11:16:53 AM  Show Profile
I had to look on the AGA website to see what they were. I love them!!! Reminds me of one my aunt had when I was little.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile
We have all Frigidaire products in our kitchen. I love them, each of them. the only hting I don't have is a dishwasher, which I purposely don't have. My stove and oven are only two years old. It has that glass top on it and cool touch feature, and a warming plate and an expandable burner-you can choose small burner or large burner. It's awesome! The oven is wonderful as well and is only now developing a hot spot in the left rear of the oven. I love my appliances and I am so glad we got what we did. Oh and it's electric, I am freaked out by gas stoves and ovens.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Patsy--
My Kenmore is self cleaning also, though I have to admit, I've never done it--I usually just scrub the stuff out after it cools down...
Is your oven gas? Are your grates heavy? Mine are almost like cast iron, it seems--do you think I could put mine in the over for the self cleaning cycle, too?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What kind of stove/range do you have? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page