Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Pam
Chehalis WA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  2:11:47 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE canning. My husband says I've got 'squirrel sickness' every Fall as I feel that every empty jar should be filled! We just finished canning dry beans (black, kidney and pinto). They are SOOOOO easy to use when they're already canned & on the shelf! Also - you can use up lots of apples canning pie filling (easy!) and cider (we can it in 1/2 gal. jars). What a great feeling - wood in the shed, spuds in the pumphouse and rows upon rows of filled canning jars!

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile
It was pickle day on Wednesday. We like vegetable pickles. I brine vegetables - carrots, celery, blanched green beans, onion slices, and very small cucumbers - for 24 hours, then rinse and pack the vegetables in pretty jars, a 3 quart jar, a funny looking jar with a glass lid and a rubber seal that holds over 2 quarts, and an old coffee jar that holds about a quart and 1/2. Add some black peppercorns, and mustard seed, and cover with a mixture of 2 parts water to 1 part cider vinegar. Then I just put them on the botton shelf of the fridge and after about 2 weeks, they are ready to use. We eat them so fast they rarely last beyond the first of the year. I know some folks think that canning cost more than just buying stuff in cans, but how can runny tasteless applesauce, and thick filmy tasting tomato juice ever compare with the great tasting stuff I can easily make myself? On a winter day a toasted cheese sandwich and a glass of homemade tomato juice is to die for. And tomato soup made with homemade juice and a can of evaporated milk---mmmmmm. Nothing better or quicker.
If I would just get to town and get another box of apples to make into sauce, I could get the canning stuff out of my kitchen for another year. There are preserving kettles, canning kettles and boxes of empty jars on the floor in the kitchen and laundry room, just waiting. It is kind of messy, but I love it. Say hi to your mouse, lorij

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  1:14:42 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, one year I made salsa that was way to juicy so I drained the juice and canned it, better than V8

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

Hilltophomesteader
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Pam
WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Kennie, I know what you mean about canning stuff everywhere! When we built our house we built a lovely entry with the stairs to the upstairs in it...only no one ever uses the front door! We all use the laundry room door and kick our shoes off in there as we come in, and we've taught all our friends to do the same! I came up with a new name for my entry since that's where we pile baskets of stuff waiting to be canned or eaten - like apples, squash, garlic, yams. I also have a couple of boxes of canning jars brought up from the cellar, pressure canners, Weck, canning lids. Now, it's officially the Keeping Room...after all, that's where I KEEP everything! Much more sensible than an entry. If I had it to plan over, I'd have made it a keeping room in the first place!

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page