Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic
Page: of 3

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  5:58:13 PM  Show Profile
Here's the dilly bean recipe. It's so good! The cayenne pepper gives the beans a little kick but not real hot and I'm sure it could be omitted if you don't like cayenne.

2 lbs. green beans
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic
4 heads dill
1/2 cup salt
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups vinegar

Mix the salt, water and vinegar and bring to a boil -- keep hot.

Make sure jars and seals are hot.

Fill jar with beans, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1 head of dill, fill with hot liquid (leave approximately 1/4 inch head space). Top with hot seal and screw ring on, let stand until sealed.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  4:55:58 PM  Show Profile
Help! Anybody out there have anything new and different to do with bushels and bushels of green seedless grapes? I make juice, & jelly, I have even frozen them in sweetened lemonade concentrate. There is only so much juice 2 people can drink!

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Celticheart-
Can you go through a master food preserver program just like you can a master gardner program? My mom went through the master gardner program in Indiana a long time ago. It might be fun to do the food preserving thing.

I also must share my good news. I decided on a whim to go to some garage sales today to look for canning jars. At the last one I went to (that I almost didn't stop at because I was discouraged) the lady had three boxes of canning jars sitting out. When I told her that I wanted them she said that she had more in the basement so I helped her carry them up and load them into my car. I asked what I owed her and she only wanted $10 for ALL of it. I don't even know how many there are, but the back of my little Cr-v was full. I might go count them just for fun.

So, are the rings and sealers pretty universal? Wide mouth are wide mouth and regular are regular?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LJRphoto

Celticheart-
I also must share my good news. I decided on a whim to go to some garage sales today to look for canning jars. At the last one I went to (that I almost didn't stop at because I was discouraged) the lady had three boxes of canning jars sitting out. When I told her that I wanted them she said that she had more in the basement so I helped her carry them up and load them into my car. I asked what I owed her and she only wanted $10 for ALL of it. I don't even know how many there are, but the back of my little Cr-v was full. I might go count them just for fun.

So, are the rings and sealers pretty universal? Wide mouth are wide mouth and regular are regular?

Oh my!! You lucky girl!! You are set! As far as I know the sealers are standard unless the jars are ancient. I've even seen that you can get the rubber seals for the hinged lids if need be. Wow! I'm so happy for you! What a find!

http://www.nuttnhoney.net
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  11:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kim! My girlfriend and I filled 35 of them this weekend with applesauce and I don't think that was even half. I haven't had any problems finding lids except that everyone is out of the regular sized lids. So, we just filled the wide mouths! Lucky me!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  2:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Ok tough question...I HAD green beans and strawberries frozen, also rhubarb, pumpkin, corn, venison and so much more in my freezer....Thenit died! I got the venison out of the frozen tundra and canned in the pressure cooker. Now that took some convincing of the hubby, the city slicker! But the beans were so thawed and soft even though surounded by ice that he convinced me to pitch them. We pithed most everything after I got a tummy ache after eating some of the starwberries. Would they have been savable if I would have canned them in the pressure canner? The corn, pumpkin zucchini and such I am not so troubled by, I can replace them yet this fall. But I must have had 40 bags of beans put away for winter, and 20 bags of berries. I am so sad. I feel like this is another one of god Lessons to me not to put so much stock in myself and rely moer on HIM, But next time???? Can I save any of it?

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  3:31:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm not an expert, but it is my understanding that once food is spoiled it's spoiled. The instructions always say to start with fresh, prime produce.

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  4:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
ON another note. I just finished making supper for my family. The only thing that did not come out of my garden was the potatoes (shhh.dont tell my grandpa!) I made shepards pie with the venison I hit with my van, a jar of garden tomato sauce I canned with zucchini, carrots celery onions and such, then added corn and peas from the good freezer. I mixed all of this in a 9X9 pan, topped it with fresh mashed potatoes, and baked for 30 mins....MMMMM good. Isnt it rewarding to have a complete meal come from your own work!

-Tami
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  4:43:42 PM  Show Profile
After spending the whole day getting two of my big Hubbards ready to go, (I have them steamed, peeled, pureed already) I started looking for processing times in my books and online, everything I have read says NOT to can the puree!!! this is NOT what I wanted to hear! then I found a really neat website

http://www.backwoodshome.com/index.html

it has a section called " ask Jackie " she states you CAN can pumpkin puree,,,any thoughts on the subject ladies? I don't have room in my freezer for all this, I have all three of my crock pots plus every bowl I own full of pumpkin puree ,,,,,,,,,,,,HELP!

by the way this is a SUPER website

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile
well, not pumpkin actually Hubbard squash

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:03:44 PM  Show Profile
Hey Arlene - I read the article and it said to can it with a pressure cooker. There isn't enough acid to do it in a hot water bath.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  5:06:32 PM  Show Profile
I got some Jonagold apples today and am going to make my first attempt at canning some applesauce. Anyone have a good recipe they'd like to share? We're getting into our apple season here and I also want to do some apple butter. A recipe for that would be great too. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  6:14:49 PM  Show Profile
I read that and took heart what scared me was some articles online that said not even in a pressure cooker, but I figger if Libbeys can do it so can I

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I can my pumpkin or winter squash in cubes...read to do that somewhere..then drain and mash when you are readya to use them. But..that dosn't help you with all that puree ready to go. I would sure trust anything Jackie Clay (the ask Jackie from Backwoods home magazine) suggested..she is awesome! You for sure have to use a pressure cooker and it does take awhile. If you find an older book it will tell you a time for sure. The new ones don't want us to can ANYTHING!!!
Kay...when I make my applesauce I cook the apples in just a little water to get them started and then simmer for a long time on low heat..probably an hour..I spend that time washing jars and getting the water bath ready and all..until soft and then mash with a potato masher, bottom of a quart jar or run through a victorio strainer and can em up..no added sugar or anything else! leave about 1/2' headspace and water bath can them for 20 min for pints 25 min for quarts. Sometimes I add cinnamon..just a little is all it takes.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  8:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny, next time I will do cubes for sure, but for now first batch is in canner,,,,,,65 minutes

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-P.html

this is the article that scared me,,,,,however I ended up ignoring it, just finished canning 32 jars (pints) from two hubbards, and an entire crockpot leftover that I am going to try pumpkin butter, these were some big squashes!!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  12:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - I made a very small batch of applesauce last night from a recipe I found on the internet. It only called for 2lbs of apples which made about 3 cups of sauce. It used 1/4 c sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. It is sooooo good!!! The apples I got are so sweet that the batch I'm going to do today I'll do without sugar. I just love the way the house smells when cooking apples. It reminds me of times spent with my Granny when she would make applesauce. I would beg her for a dish of hot apple chunks before she started mashing. So last night, in honor of my Granny, I had a bowl of chunks before I turned the apples into sauce!! YUM!

So you do your jars in the dishwasher as opposed to boiling? I read that the jars need to be hot when you fill them.

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2005 :  1:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I do mine in the dishwasher on sani-cycle and take them out one at a time so they are always hot

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile
speaking of canning... I went apple picking in the rain yesterday with my family, what fun that was , we were soaked but we had a blast. Anyway, I came home with almost 100 lbs of apples, yeah we don't know when to stop when we're picking . Anyway, I canned some applesauce, 12 jars, last night but I can't can anymore for a few days. I wanted to know if anyone has ever frozen apple slices and if so how can I do it.

I can't seem to find any cranberries around here, do I have to wait till next month?

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  1:55:32 PM  Show Profile
I have some older canning books, and I thought I'd just share what they say about canning squash...(it's fine!!):

Sunset Canning & Preserving, copyright 1981:

Summer Squash -crookneck, zucchini, pattypan:
Can be packed either hot or raw.
Processing time at 10 pounds pressure for all.
Hot:
pints -30 mins, quarts- 40 mins.
Raw:
pints- 25 mins, quarts 30 mins.

Winter Squash- banana, butternut, hubbard, pumpkin:
Steam untils soft, mash, jar as usual.
pints - 85 mins, quarts 115 mins

Ball Blue Book, copyright 1983:
Says winter squash results in a better product if frozen.

Summer squash, steam, pack, jar as usual.
Pints 30 mins, quarts 40 mins, both at 10 pounds pressure.

I think Aunt Jenny is right, they are taking some of these safety things overboard.

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing

Edited by - Clare on Oct 09 2005 1:57:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  2:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I freeze apple slices every year, I use my food saver and suck all the air out they never lose color,,,great for pies

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  3:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lareyna I will try that tonight.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  6:53:21 PM  Show Profile
Interesting article on pumpkins - and it mentions freezing the puree!
http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/foodstorage1/a/100703.htm?nl=1

Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
My Mom and I have made applesauce as long as I can remember...we usually quarter the apples popp them in a huge pan and cook them with a small amount of water in the oven until they are soft and juicey, then we run them through the sieve and can away! The amount of jars you will need depends on how big your pot is! We have also cooked them down on the stove top, but then you need to watch to make sure they dont burn or scorch, it can be hard to reach down to the bottom of the pan to scrape the bottom.

-Tami
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  5:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Tami, I have trouble with applesauce getting mold on top, am I just doing it wrong???????????????

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page