Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic
Page: of 3

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  1:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi, farmgirls!

It would be great to hear from those of you who can your summer garden crops, or make special homemade canned relishes, peppers, jams, or other special family recipes (if you're willing to share!). My mother canned each summer - putting up peaches, pears, apricots, string beans, and making jam, and while I helped her with some of the process, I don't remember the great tips she may have had for those special recipes, or methods she used. Please share your special tips, recipes, and time tested advice here - on any canning related topic you choose!

I love the farmgirl spirit!

Jana
Indianola, WA

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile
I love love love canning and will try about anything. One time I canned pickled eggs and they were actually a big hit! I had a bumper crop of anaheim and banana peppers one year and canned pickled peppers that were great too. I do alot of peaches and tomatoes and salsa and jams. I will look up the pickled pepper recipe and post it here..worth sharing for sure..they are great on sandwiches!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  9:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Today Dave and I can 12 pints of fruit. It was so much fun and we enjoyed our time together. Tommorow we have 12 more to can. We plan to make apricots jam and peach jam too.
We are stocking our pantry for winter.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  10:49:20 PM  Show Profile
I love to can too! Depending on the harvest (free from friends with orchards) I do applesauce, pie filling, cinnaomn apple slices and dehydrate some apples too. If it's a good year for pears, I'll can some of them too, and I have a great pepper-pear salsa. We also do mullberry jelly, and if the birds don't get them first, apricot preserves.
Jenny, I'm curious about canning the pickled eggs.Is that a recipe you're willing to share????
Have any of you ever pressure-canned meats? I've been taught, but I'm still hesitant to do it on my own. Please let me know if you have any specialties or tips on this.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  10:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh sure, I will share any recipes..I will look it up for ya tomorrow.
I have pressure canned meats alot..venison, chicken, turkey and tuna especially. It isn't as scary as it sounds at first. I just don't leave the kitchen so that I can watch it closely..and I usually work on a project (knitting or spinning or reading a good book) while waiting..meat takes awhile! I do alot of soups too...like turkey vegetable after thanksgiving, or just plain vegetable or tomato soup to use up the small amounts at the end of season that arn't enough to can up alone..One tip..I can up my meat in pint size jars mostly..you can always use more than one, but when I can in quarts it is sometimes too much for us..and we have 6 at home right now. I have canned up hamburger all seasoned for tacos...saves alot of time when needed!!! and other seasoned meats too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  9:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Canned taco meat?! I love that! I will ba waiting for your recipes. My frien who taught me to do the meat said the same thing about using the pint jars. I'm amazed at how much meat you can actually get into a pint jar.It's something I really want to do more of. Right now, I freeze most of our meats (buying in bulk and/or on sale) but if the power goes...been there!
Thanks for your willingness to help,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  1:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Canned salsa - I'd love to try to make my own. Does anyone have a recipe to share?

Also, please share your canned "specialty". What's the one canned food that you prepare that gets the most raves from your family and friends?

Jana
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Jana, as any canning book or Extention maven will tell you, with salsa, follow a canning recipe exactly. You can't just take a favorite "fresh" salsa" and process it.It has to do with the ph balance and bacteria growth. Look in the Ball or Kerr canning books (they aren't costly and you can get one just about anywhere) for a reccipe. The internet has many recipes too, just be sure they are specifically for canning and adjust to your altitude, if necessary. I'll dig out my pepper-pear salsa and send it to you if you'd like. I'm sure there are many out there more knowledgeable on canning issues, but this one has been driven into me by my canning supply lady...she's great! Have fun! Sharon
PS Ramona Home Canning Supply (www.homecanningsupply.com) is a great resource. She ships!
Go to Top of Page

JanaM
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jana
Miller Bay/Indianola WA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  5:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sleepless Reader for the advice on the salsa. I'm so new to canning that this is really helpful information - and thanks for the canning supply link, too! I'd love to see your pepper pear salsa recipe. Sounds great!
Go to Top of Page

roxy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  09:15:05 AM  Show Profile
This is my first post, I was hoping someone has a recipe for a strawberry jalapeno sauce/jam? I've had it, but can't locate the recipe, but was great on a pork roast and also mixed with cream cheese on crackers. I love reading how friendly everyone is and sharing of recipes is exciting.

share laughter cherish kindness encourage goodness
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Nancy
Groveport OH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  4:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Send NancyOH an AOL message  Send NancyOH a Yahoo! Message
We've been canning strawberry jam and triple berry jam this weekend. Yum!!! We did a lot of applesauce & apple butter last fall & will do even more applesauce this year as it was a huge hit. We're planning on canning green beans, corn & peaches too. I've done the beans & peaches before, but never corn. Does anyone have any advice?
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Would anyone out there know how to can jams without pectin? I read in MJ's book about a lady who makes fabulous jam, and when MJ pressed her for her secret, she said she doesn't use pectin, and cooks her jam at a high heat. I am wondering then if she doesn't actually can the jam, but maybe freezes it? I haven't made jam in years because of the tremendous amount of sugar needed, so that is another dilemma. While being careful to eliminate unnecessary sugar from our diets, could we possibly cut way back on the sugar, especially if using very sweet fruit?

Blessings and happy canning!
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Bay Area California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile
When canning jams without pectin there is two possible ways that I can think of, and if by chance I am wrong please correct me. One is that you can cook down the fruit until it thickens by itself because of the lack of liquid, and the other is apple peel or quince fruit because both are full of natural pectin.

Another thing I found in a little store in Chico, Calif while traveling was a box of pectin, but not the normal everyday brands that you buy from the store. For those of you who have problems with getting your jam or jelly thickening this may be the product for you. You can look at it at

www.pomonapectin.com

Yes, it does involve ordering it through on-line unless there is a specialty store that might carry it in your area.This product also helps with making your own recipes if you do not want to follow the everyday ones.

Good luck canning.
Danae
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  10:35:43 PM  Show Profile
I've never canned anything but this is the year I am going to start! If you can green beans do you process them in a hot water bath or do you have to use a pressure cooker? I am just scared to death of pressure cookers, although my mom used one all the time. Thanks.

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kay (and welcome Danae!!!) you really have to use a pressure canner for green beans. I was nervous at first, but as long as you are right there while it is cooking (I sit at the table with a book or project of some sort so I can obsessively watch the dial on top) it is so safe! You could do it! I started years ago by borrowing a pressure canner from a friend and then got my own about 15 years ago. They are really worth having !! Good luck!! Oh..just a thought..if you are dead set against pressure canning you could pickle green beans...dilly beans..and then you wouldn't have to pressure can them..really different though.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I have a recipe for dilly beans. I absolutely love them!!! I could sit down and eat a whole jar by myself.

I kind of figured I'd have to pressure cook the green beans. But I need to get over my fear of the pressure cooker -- guess I'll give it a try.

Kay

Proud Member of North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile
For the first time this year, I am freezing things to put them up. I have stewed my tomatoes and canned them already, but today I put up squash and green beans in the freezer. I scalded them in boiling water for three minutes and then immediately put them in ice water for three minutes. Then I drained them really well. I used my blancher in my canning set to do this. Then I packed some in freezer bags and some in containers. I hope they turn out good!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
You must tell more about pickled eggs. My Dad was just telling me that one of his favorite things to eat when he was a kid was pickled eggs. I would love to surprise with some. Can you post your recipe?

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I make a killer habinaro salsa with ten raosted habinaro in it. It's for my Stepmom she can't get things spicy enough, I think she crazy. I have to wear rubber gloves when I make this salsa. So if anyone needs a spicy, spicy recipe I got it. But now I'm concerned about the bateria because I've never PH tested it. So far I haven't had a problem and this probably my third year making it. Hum?

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Bay Area California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile
hi Jenny-
Thank you for the welcome. Kay i know how you feel about using the pressure canner and funny enough i do a lot of canning and i am still afraid sometimes, but the more i do it the better i feel about it. i also, do what Jenny does about bringing another project in the kitchen to work on, while watching the dial on top. once you do it for awhile the fear will begin to lessen.
Otherwise the only thing i can suggest is if you know someone else who uses a pressure canner in your area, and see if you can watch them when they do it. My great grandmother used one and she showed me as a small child, but i didn't get the guts to do it until now.

Danae
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  12:29:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey all -- I got a pressure cooker and I didn't even have to buy it. My neighbor lady is having a garage sale and asked if I could help her sort through her stuff (she's 68). We started talking about canning and I mentioned that I wanted a pressure cooker. She says "I have a brand new one still in the box that I've never used. You are welcome to take it." YIPPEE!! Free is always a GREAT price! I'm going over to get it tomorros.

Kay
North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile
LUCKY YOU! That is so wonderful..it no doubt has the manual with it too and you will find recipes and instructions there..That is so neat! Free is for sure the best price!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  7:11:55 PM  Show Profile
I just did a bunch of rhubarb. I am just doing freezer Jams for now because I don't have a can sealer yet. I've been saving my baby food jars and putting it in there, then on the rare days when the kiddos give me a break and actually take a nap at the same time, I've been doing fancy little scrapbooking and fabric decorations on the Jars to make them pretty to give out as gifts. The Jam recipe is super simple. 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 5 cups of finely chopped rhubarb, let the sugar and rhubarb sit overnight, then cook over low heat until boiling, boil for 10 minutes then add the jello and pour into jars. it yeilds about 6 of the taller baby food jars.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  11:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Kay
Would you share your Dilly Bean Rcipe. I would love to have it
Thanks

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  3:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Kay,
I felt the same way about using the pressure canner, even when my mom helped me. It's getting better but I'm like Jenny, I get a book or project and sit right there the whole time and watch the gauge. Another great place to get canning advice is to contact the county extension office in your area and find a Master Food Preserver. Just like Master Gardeners there are Master Food Preservers. They are there to help answer questions and help anyone who needs it. A great free resource. (My mom's one but not in your area unfortunately.)

And Dilly Beans are my family's favorite. If Kay doesn't give you her recipe I'll share mine:).

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  3:49:10 PM  Show Profile
One more thing....if you're buying an older pressure canner or inherit one or have just had one for quite a few years, find a place to have the gauge and the rubber ring at the top checked and replaced if necessary. Another reason to call the extension office in your area. They can probably tell you where to get that done. You really need to know if the gauge is correct.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning - How to, Tips, Recipes and More Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page