Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Chickens and Eggs Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  1:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I just received my brand new MJF magazine in the mail today and it's FULL of chicken and egg features. When I saw the pic of the little egg scale I was inspired to post a few pics in memory of all the chickens raised on our farm, hundreds and hundreds of eggs we gathered . . . and sold.

My dad always ordered "mixed chicks" so we had what we called the "fryers" (males) for eating and the "pullets" who grew up into "hens" and laid eggs. We had hundreds of laying hens and it was the job of my younger sister and me to gather the eggs, which we did twice daily. We had to clean them and then when my mom was ready we'd go into the cellar where she candled them and my sis and I "sized" them put them into cartons and prepared for delivery of eggs to my mom's egg customers. She had two routes per week . . . my sis and I disliked "egg day" a lot!

In any case, I know more than I want to know about chickens and I'm grateful to currently have two neighbors who raise chickens and we are able to get true, fresh, organic, run-around-the-yard eggs.

This is the first scale my mom started with . . . like the one pictured in the magazine

I have lots of chicken themed decor items in my kitchen. I'm happy with these kind of chickens right now.

This is the "newer" sizer scale my mom had. It had a divided foam mat to catch the eggs as they rolled off the sizers which were weighted. The larger eggs came off first, on down the sizer and the smaller ones rolled off the end into their own compartment. It was faster and more efficient than that cute little red one.

When we were cleaning up the farm after my dad passed away (my mom had already gone to heaven) my older brother found these items in the cellar under the farmhouse and, knowing my history with the chickens offered them to me. So, yup, I claimed them.

THANK YOU, Mary Jane for your magazine . . . and the memories!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on May 04 2016 1:57:57 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  2:12:20 PM  Show Profile
How cool you have the same egg scale, CeeJay!! My new magazine isn't here yet but I am looking forward to reading it. Chickens and eggs fascinate me.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  3:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
BY the way,
The eggs pictured with the Brower scale are REAL eggs from our neighbor! They come in about three different colors . . two shades of brown, some of them quite speckled, and white!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on May 04 2016 3:03:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  6:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful photos CJ! I got my issue in the mail today. Had to skim through real quick which lead to anything but quick as I got wrapped up in reading. Egg-cellent issue with so many wonderful things included in my favorite subject, chickens!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  01:16:03 AM  Show Profile
I already sent accolades to Mary Jane for the new issue. It's Myfavorite so far I will have to post the truly wonderful chicken quilt blocks given to me by
Minnesota Quilters members for being president last year. After the state park quilt, I can't wait to put the quilt together. My dh bought me a chicken pillow for the Davenport.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I love the "real" eggs too! I'm actually able to get eggs from either one of my neighbors through the winter. They have both talked about putting lights on for longer "daylight" hours and giving them warm water. I don't know what else they do. The production is decreased some but they still lay. I don't recall what my parents did in the winter with all of our laying hens . . . we always had eggs and some for my mom's egg delivery routes!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My little red scale doesn't look as shiny and fresh as the one pictured in the magazine. Probably because it got worked too hard over 50 years ago and sat in a cold, dark cellar for several years . . .poor thing!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile
We have one of those scales too-was my Grandma's. We had eggs most of the winter from hens just starting to lay. We don't run a light up cause I think it is good for the girls to get a break.
Go to Top of Page

MnMotherMary
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mary
Jordan MN
USA
20 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  08:46:58 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures & memories. Thanks for sharing.
We keep a heat lamp in our chicken coop for the winter and there are no production issues ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Chickens and Eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page