Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Uncle Peggy's Squirrel Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Uncle Peggy's Squirrel Problem Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  1:44:56 PM  Show Profile
Kate Dorsey's article, "Who's That in My Garden?" (MJF Magazine, April-May 2016) reminded me of a story from my own life.

At the time, Uncle Peggy (his real name was Bill, but as a soldier during World War II, his trademark was singing a song called, "Peg O' My Heart," and a lifelong nickname was born) was living in a senior citizen apartment in Caruthersville, Missouri, that afforded him just enough room on a tiny patio to grow a single tomato plant.

One afternoon, he visited my great-grandmother (his little sister), and she thought he looked a little sad and asked him why. "Well," he said, settling down in a kitchen chair, "I've been watching this lovely tomato get ripe from my kitchen window all week. Just this morning, when I was washing my breakfast plate, I decided that tomato was finally ready, and as soon as I was done, I'd go pick it and have myself a nice BLT for my lunch.

"Now, no sooner did I have that thought than a big, fat squirrel ran up and stole my tomato, right off my patio!" My great-grandmother clucked sympathetically and offered her condolences. But Uncle Peggy didn't think of his tomato as lost. "It's all right," he said, looking at me with an impish grin. "I made myself a good slingshot this afternoon, and tomorrow I'll have fried squirrel for supper. THEN I'll get my tomato back!"

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Fun story, Jessie.

We have squirrels and gophers and they are annoying beyond belief. Having hard time controlling them too AND, then there are the deer! They chew on everything. I just noticed this afternoon that I think deer have chewed on my lilac bush. It's within 20 feet of the house too! Thinking about what I can use as a deterrent.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  3:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Worse than squirrels and gophers are the prairie dogs ALL over the fields. We don't have them on our property so much but they are a HUGE, MAJOR PROBLEM in this area! Always have been and they are more than difficult to control!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  4:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Jessie...that was a really cute story. Having the name Peggy...Uncle Peggy caught my eye as I was scrolling
through my MJF email. So glad I got to read that story...it was priceless. And I know the Song Peg of My
Heart quite well...as every older person had to sing it to me when I was a girl. LOL

CJ...we have a lot of pesty squirrels around here...but the Moles are what drive us all bonkers here. They
can sure make a mess of a beautiful yard rather quickly. I have tried everything to get rid of moles over
the years...but to No Success! My Mom told me that her dad use to plant Caster Beans and that kept the
moles away. I wonder it it would work for Prairie Dogs. LOL

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  09:06:49 AM  Show Profile
The problem here is rabbits. We have so many living in out of the way places such as under porches, in burrows in gardens or vacant lots, even in vacant buildings. They like to chew on stuff in the summer and dig stuff up in the winter. My dog likes to chase them. I try to keep them away by hanging old CDs around the garden. If you hang them like a wind chime, the noise of the CDs and the shine of light off the surfaces will scare them away. AND . . . some trash has been reused.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Apr 30 2016 09:09:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  10:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Good story Jessie Mae! Uncle Peggy....I love that!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  05:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Great story! Funny how people get nicknames. My Great Aunt was named Elva at birth. Her father was very disappointed at getting a second daughter instead of the "Richard Jr." he was hoping for. So he called her "Dick" and we grew up calling her Aunt Dick. Never gave it a thought!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  07:58:51 AM  Show Profile
ROTFL! Oh that's an awesome story. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the smile.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 08 2016 :  1:52:55 PM  Show Profile
Loved the story of Uncle Peggy's Squirrel problem. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if he had squirrel gumbo, or squirrel stew!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Uncle Peggy's Squirrel Problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page