Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  09:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Do you know if making your own yogurt is really any better for you than buying it? I used to make it years ago and am wondering if it would be worth my time to start it up again.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  09:13:15 AM  Show Profile
I feel like anything I make at home is ALWAYS better for us than storebought!! I need to get to yogurt making again here soon.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I was wondering this too and would like an answer. Not that I have enough time to make anything from scratch these days. : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca, I believe it is healthier for you if you use organic milk, ALOT healthier if organic and not full of hormons and antibiotics. and not ultra homoginized. But i think is cheaper to make your own too.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  10:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, I think you are right anything made home is better.
Hi Cindy Lee, I make at least a gallon a week the only hard part is waiting for the heating up and the cooling down. I think it is worth the time. And it tastes better than the store bought. The texture also. Go for it! he he

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  12:37:02 PM  Show Profile
I am wanting to make my own Soy yogurt, because I make my own soymilk. I just like to make my own stuff.
That way I know I can & I don't "have" to depend on the grocery store and convenience foods.
That's not to say, that on a busy week I don't use the store bought version!!
Plus I know what is NOT in it, as far as sweetners,salts and preservatives. Plus it is much more economical.
It's on my list to calculate the cost of the yogurt. But I know on the soy milk I save tons (have the actual numbers somewhere, I can look them up if any one want's them)

Edit to add this tip.....
TO MAKE FRUIT-FLAVORED YOGURT, simply add your favorite low-sugar jam to the yogurt just before eating.

This is a really good site with info on making soy yogurt, I had it saved in my favorites.

Soy Yogurt Information

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Dec 29 2006 1:00:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I have been making a half gallon (using that size maker from The Baker's Catalog) every week... using organic milk. We eat it plain, and I know it saves us a lot of money. I'd been buying organic plain yogurt. Just compare that to the price of the same volume container of milk... And, I got into a routine, so it really doesn't seem like a big deal.

Confession: I left the milk heating on the stove this morning and went upstairs.... and forgot! My DH returned to the house and called up to me that the milk was boiling over. The scorched smell, and the horrible mess was, well, horrible. I don't plan a repeat anytime soon.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  8:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the great info. Now all I have to do is figure out if I still have the yogurt maker. It wasn't very big, it made 6 small containers. Maybe with just my husband and I left here, that might be enough.

I'll try and track it down and give it a go. Thanks! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic yogurt making question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page