Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 mj's knitters motivated me
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic mj's knitters motivated me Next Topic  

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  5:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
After reading about all of the neat things you ladies create with knitting needles...I just had to have some. I got a very basic set and books to learn. I have crocheted, sewed and crafted for years...but never had anyone to teach me to knit. With all of the great help available by internet and my books, I am sure in time I will reach beginner status. I am very excited and already very addicted and I can't do anything more than knit and pearl stitch..but enjoying. Thanks ladies for enticing me with new projects.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh that's awesome, Birdi! The power of Knitting...you can't escape it! Have fun...and be sure to keep us updated on your projects!!

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Birdi,
Would love to see what you create! I love to knit and have been knitting little things while away over Christmas (although some days have been a bit hot and sweaty!!). I have made a few gnomes and flower-children from my Steiner-inspired books and some chicks so far.
Good luck with the knitting - you'll find lots of help here if you get stuck!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Birdi -- that's so exciting. Can't wait to see what you do. I love to knit because it is relaxing and something I can anywhere.

I'm expanding my knitting. Used to be pretty good then didn't do it for years. Now I've only done dishcloths. Missy and all of you have inspired to try knitting new things. Am really anxious to try different types of yarn. Am loving my bamboo needles! We'll learn together.

Missy has her first sock class next Thursday. I'm anxious for her to learn so she can teach me.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  05:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne,
I saw that you were making some gnomes, fairies, etc. Are those knitted, felted, both? Making some Waldorf style toys is one of the things I'd really like to learn. Where did you get the patterns? Thanks -Megan
Go to Top of Page

wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile
I've been having fun making up a bunch of knitted/felted bowls. Made a red one for my mom and at Christmas time she filled it with candy canes, looked very festive! I'm going to head out now and find some wrapped Valentine candy to fill her little bowl with for the season. Very quick project and felting anything is like magic:)

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  2:24:40 PM  Show Profile
That's a great gift idea! I love felting and want to try the felted sqare baskets in Mason Dixon next!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  9:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Megan,
Yes, they are Waldorf inspired - there was a great Steiner store where I was on holidays and I bought heaps of books. I haven't tried the felted ones yet, but there are patterns for both. I have a few books - The Knitted Farmyard, Making Flower-Children, The Nature Corner - they are all on amazon if you want to look.
I haven't searched the internet much yet, but I'm sure there is probably heaps of info - I'll let you know if I find anything.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:48:05 PM  Show Profile
Birdi, keep at it!
I'm a beginner knitter too. I was taught a couple summers ago but am still at the knit/purl stage, but that's not half bad. There are lots of little projects that can be done with just that knowledge. In fact, today was my first day as teacher to a coworker. She was so excited when she had her first little bit of knitting on her needle. She said she always wanted to learn but had never had anyone to show her. Yay! for farmgirls passing on the fun.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  05:16:07 AM  Show Profile
A note to all of the new (and old!) Knitters: Remember, ALL knitting it just combinations of knits and purls! Once you know how to do these two little things, you can quite LITERALLY do ANYTHING.

Lace, cables, sweaters, socks...

It's all within your grasp once you can knit and purl!

Keep on knitting!

Yarn Love, Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
Yay, Birdi! Welcome to knitting! It's great fun, even meditative for me. I'm always inspired by the cool things the ladies here are working on. As soon as I can post pics, I hope to share some of my recent knitting adventures, too. Keep us posted on your progress! =)

Dona, I made felted bowls for my co-workers for Christmas and they loved them. Since most were made from hand-dyed wool, they completely transformed when felted--so beautiful!

Live joyfully, deliberately, simply, abundantly.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic mj's knitters motivated me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page