Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New Year...New Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Year...New Project Next Topic  

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  2:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I spent some of last week sorting and finishing up old projects. I haven't been quilting very long so my WIP list wasn't too bad. Yesterday I went through some Quilt mags and books and picked out some projects I'd like to do. No pressure, just wanted to see what caught my eye...
So today I started cutting for a log cabin quilt. Most of what I made last year were little projects or things I made up to accomadate the material I had. I really wanted to try a tradition pattern. The Log Cabin is one that always catches my eye...so here goes!!!!
Have any of you made this pattern? (I'm sure someone has!) and do you have any pictures to share and/or advice for a newbie?

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Bonnie. I have not made the famed Log Cabin quilt, but I have made the Courthouse Steps block. It is very similar only you do two sides at a time and then the opposite two sides.

I think you will really like this pattern. My friends place darks in a bag and lights in another and just pull the strips out to use as they go. Chain piecing is defintely the way to do this one.

Happy quilting.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  3:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, the Log Cabin pattern is one of my favorites because it has so many options in setting the blocks together. I do have one hanging on my wall, and I will try to take a picture and post it. No promises, haven't done that before!

I have done "cabins" both traditionally pieced and paper-pieced. Sometimes, I do strip-piecing, which is that I sew a strip onto the block and then cut to fit. The only word of advice is to establish a system so that you are sewing the pieces on in the right order. It can be easy to get turned around -- and I do hate to rip out seams! I draw a sample block on a piece of paper and number the pieces and whether they are dark or light.... 1D, 2L, 3D, 4L etc. It can serve as a reference if you forget where you are in the sewing process.

I got an unfinished project from the closet yesterday and began working on it again. Of course, whatever plans I had for it in the first place have long since been forgotten, so I am reinventing the design! That's the fun of quilting!

Enjoy!

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile
I love Log Cabin quilts! That has always been one of my favorite patterns...in fact, the quilt on my bed is a log cabin in dark blues and greens. I strip peice mine. I would love to see pictures as yours progresses!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  2:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, I have made probably 10 log cabin quilts, My all time favorite.. I learned to do it from an Amish lady in Kinzer PA....I found it so easy and less stress-ful than anything with circles and curves...

margie

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I have made 10 full size quilts. and have yet to make this pattern. Lol.
I did try some small sample blocks and it was easy.
I think it would be an easy block pattern too. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  5:07:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love to make a log cabin quilt. It's on my list to make.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile
I would like to have a log cabin, then maybe one of you could make me a log cabin quilt to put in it.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  4:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bonnie - how's your Log Cabin quilt coming along? I have been collecting men's silk ties and I believe I have enough for a quilt. I think Log Cabin might just be the right pattern for the colors and patterns of these ties.

Sandy

I'd get a face lift - but then it wouldn't match my body!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  03:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sandy, I am still cutting...I have been working on Valentine's cards!!! But I have a 3 day weekend coming up so I should get the cutting finished.
I would have never thought of using ties, how pretty that will be!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  05:00:18 AM  Show Profile
I spent yesterday cutting strips...I am still on my lights, have red & blues to go! I know some people cute 2 or 3 strips at a time, but My accuracy kind of goes down hill when I do that!
So I sat at my table and cut while watching westerns!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  06:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
Your blog looks so nice!!! I checked it all out. good job. Keep cutting those stripes want to see the quilt when its done. I would prefer to see it here in my house, but from afar is good too. Now about the westerns?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:50:29 AM  Show Profile
I know Nancy Jo, kind of odd...But I LOVE John Wayne Westerns! They were on all day yesterday! Yahoo! I mean I love Little House, and Little Women and a good Kate Hepburn movie, or Carey Grant, but I ADORE John Wayne westerns! I have nothing to say for myself!!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Year...New Project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page