Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 volunteering at an organic farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic volunteering at an organic farm Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello Girls, I just wanted to share this with everyone. About 4 to 6 weeks ago, I contacted a couple organic farms in my area to see if anyone wanted a volunteer a couple mornings a week. I cant go apprentise somewhere, no time. Anyway, I didnt hear from anyone. I was a bit miffed, if it were me I think I'd jump at it. Well last night I checked my e-mail and one of them responded. They asked me to stop at the farm over the weekend and they were very interested. It looks like I may learn something about organic farming after all. I dont have my few acres YET, but between my herb studies and this, Im learning for when I finally do. It just feels good to be working towards the dream. At 53 years old, I hope it come soon. My husband worries Im spreading myself too thin but summer is only so long. Anyway, I wanted to share that with people who really understand. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea, Michele! Wonderful opportunity for you... might want to take notes after each days volunteering. I imagine there will be lots of good things to remember that will come in handy later! Let us know how it goes.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  4:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! You can share what you learn with us! We have an organic farm near my city that allows volunteers, even begs for them! Classes of school children also visit there and they hold seminars and workshops. I have never gone, but you have given me an idea!

Good luck, have fun and I hope you learn a lot.
jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  6:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Michelle! That's a great way for you to get your feet wet (so to speak...) and get a feel for the way things are run. No word from Allaire yet? I used to know the superintendent there but he's been gone about 10 years now. Too bad, he would have loved the community garden idea. Keep the faith, blessings arrive when we least expect them.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Michele! You've taken that first step toward acheiving your dream!! I admire you!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  04:35:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michele,
You are gonna love this!!!Even though I have my own gardens to tend to I also volunteer a bit at our local community supported garden.
Somehow, weeding someone else's garden beds with other people helping make the job so much more enjoyable.
By the way,I am interested in your herbal studies in NJ. I also did my herbal training in NJ 10 years ago now. It changed my whole life!
If you want to chat about it here ( or email me directly) it would be great to hear what your up to.
Have fun getting your hands dirty!

Susan

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  10:05:56 AM  Show Profile
Good for you! I have a suggestion. Keep a 3 x 5 notebook and pen in your back pocket for notes. It's small, easy to write in and not something you have to hang on to all the time. I bet you fill it quickly.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  10:25:46 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a lot of fun Michelle. What a really good idea. Your hubby is concerned for your well being. That's sweet. Mine is the same way. Have fun volunteering and let us know how it's going.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic volunteering at an organic farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page