Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lehman's catalog Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  1:58:47 PM  Show Profile
I received their latest issue last week and got kind of excited! (Doesn't take much for me ! ) I have inherited a wooden paddled hand churn butter maker, sans the glass jar it should be attached to. Over the years, mom had tried to find an alternative that would fit it, but to no avail. Thumbing through the catalog, I came across replacement jars for butter churns, along with exact measurements of what it would fit. And, surprise, it's an exact fit! Now I have to determine if I want to invest $35 in something to have it be complete, because I don't anticipate that I'll be making butter any time soon. But it's nice to know that the option is available.

Have any of you made cool discoveries of your own like this?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  2:05:28 PM  Show Profile
I just love Lehmans catalog....it is so nice to have a place to find simple things. That is where we got our ice cream maker and I have ordered other things over the years from them too.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  2:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
i live about 45 min. from Lehmans it is a great experience and a frequent visit. They have the most wonderful stoves...their cast iron pots are my favorite.
So are the propane burners for cooking outdoors...
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile
Sounds intriging! DH would love this too, he is into farm supplies and tools. I have been looking for an old fashioned dinner bell. Remember those? Do not want to spend an "arm and a leg" on it but maybe they would have them. Are they online?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  3:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Some of my Christmas shopping was in the Lehman's catalog. Alot of good stuff for camping conveniences and praticality too. For quality you can't go wrong! Van Dyke's is quickly becoming my favorite for the house because it has all those bits and pieces old houses are always missing one or two of. My flour bin handles and the feet to the library cabinet came from there and that's just the latest in a long list that needs to be filled!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  4:09:00 PM  Show Profile
OH! I almost forgot... if you haven't checked it out Lehman's has a online "magazine" www. Countrylife.net that is alot of fun. Different people contribute articles and info about their particular experiences. I loved Guy Grieves adventures homesteading in Alaska, Connie Petersen's experiences living and working at a living history museum (my dream job!) and Rene Amundsen's life being a lighthousekeeper in remote BC with her family. You can look at past contributors articles as well. Hope you enjoy it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  6:49:55 PM  Show Profile
I have visited Lehman's and found it more interesting than the catalog! Wonderful place, wonderful things from the past for the present.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  1:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Bramble...

How do you get in touch with VanDykes? Do they have a catalogue or a website? We recently bought some land and it has the old farmhouse still on it and we want to redo it as originally as possible but so far had trouble finding any resources.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  1:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Erin , glad to have you with us! Lucky you to have a cool old house to restore, we have a little cottage that is constantly in need of something! Here's the info: www.vandykes.com and you can shop on line, order your free catalog, etc...I like to have the catalog in hand to check measurements and color matches. Have a great time with it, it's packed with oldies but goodies!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  5:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome Bramble and for the information. I'm really excited about redoing the house and lucky for us the people we bought it from have already gone in and gutted the ugly 1960 remodel....oh my gosh was it ugly!!!! So we pretty much have a clean slate to start with.

We're not sure when it was originally built, sometime the early 1900's, and we know that the family consisted of the parents, a grandmother, 4 girls and 3 boys. I'm just amazed when I stand in it because it is basically one room.......in fact we laugh because the whole house will fit into my living room, dining room and kitchen of the house that I have now and it's not big by any standards.

Anyway, thanks for the info....

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lehman's catalog Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page