Page: of 2

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  1:15:46 PM  Show Profile
WHo has one? Where did you get it? What do you/don't you like about it? We are going to be getting one within the next two months or so for our planting this Spring and are in the prelim. phase of looking at them, wondering if we cannot build our own for lots cheaper by using windows bought from the guy at the swap shop? or if we should just buy one. I have been looking at www.greenhouses.com and I like a few there, but I am not sure what the cost difference would be between one from there and building it ourselves for $2.00 per window plus the construction of the frame and foundation. Rob is an excellent engineer when it comes to these kind of things and he is blue printing our animal barn right now which is also going up this Spring.....what do you all think? Just looking for ideas....bouncing things around you know?

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com

Edited by - GaiasRose on Dec 28 2006 1:16:12 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I have three greenhouses and my favorite by far is my straight-sided one that is built from 2x4's and covered with 6mil UV rated vapor barrier.
I have a large 35' x 50' x 12' high greenhouse made along the lines of a "hoop house" from galvanized piping. It's an extremely inefficient design and I am tempted to take it down and replace it. The curved walls make for wasted space as you can't plant from about two feet from the wall as the plants grow right into the sides. Not at all recommended.
My other greenhouse made from 2x4's is one I would highly recommend. I can replace the plastic in a day by myself as opposed to three of us taking a week to recover the hoop style one. The space is efficient. The greenhouse is made in sections, so you start smaller and let it grow as you can afford it by just adding more sections onto one end. It's a winner!
I can take some pics of it if it interests you.
Di
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  3:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Hello Di, received my cook book you little publishing wizard you. LOVE IT.
We need pics of your greenhouse with MORE instructions. This has been on our agenda as well..... thanks jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  4:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Diane, please post pics. Would love to start a honey-do list..ty

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  4:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Diane, yes, please post pics. we think we know what we are going to do but I am still interested to see your set up.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  5:14:28 PM  Show Profile
I will take some pics tomorrow when there's light and post them for you.
Di
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile
I want a greenhouse also. I have a potting shed but I always wanted a small glass one. I saw a few in different gardening mags that I loved. There's alot of nice plastic ones w/ shelves that I'll probably end up with.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  06:21:47 AM  Show Profile
We are (still...) working on our salvaged window greenhouse,and will use it for winter salad house and spring starts primarily. We are having a strange winter so far, but heating will be an issue and we are trying the solar approach. I agree with Diane that straight sides beats hoop house any day. The hoop houses offer inexpensive quick cover and you can get a large space quickly. Venting and replacing plastic should be concerns also. You haven't lived until a 60 mph wind rips it off in the middle of the night in the middle of growing season). A pane or two of glass may be more expensive but much easier to replace! (You also can't "emergency patch" a hoop house very easily.) From past experience with a L&B glass house, structure is important for the long haul.
You also have to look at your environment and weather (snow load, frequency of rain, sun (acid rain and uv light break down plastic more rapidly). Think about your uses and decide what you will find comfortable to work with too. Make your growing benches ideal for your reach and comfort level (premade are too short for me!)
It's a fun project to be planning Tasha, enjoy!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  07:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, once again you bring up some very important points. I've always wanted a greenhouse but haven't done it due to the extreme prairie winds we have here. I see the different ones in the catalogs and just don't see how they can take our winds. I might have a custom one built someday though. All I want is a nice little spot to start my seeds, and a nice spot for a few tomato plants and winter salads. Well, and maybe some chairs and a fan, and a banana tree, or a lemon tree or two. Did I mention grapefruit??? Uh oh, I'm getting expensive. But I know just how it'd look! And stupid me, I want to put it under some trees outside! You know, the kind that drop big limbs on stuff in our windstorms....

Somebody shoot me.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:42:29 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a greenhouse but I remember the one my dad built when we had the farm. He connected to the pump house that was in our back yard. Using cinder block for the foundation, gravel for the floor and windows that were salvaged from remodels. The roof was solid on the north side and had that milky corrugated heavy plastic on the south side. He used a salvaged sink and faucet, built shelves and potting bins for it. It was really cool and worked well. It was probably all of 200 square feet at the most. My sister set up a timed heating system for the coldest part of the year and things grew well in there and we wintered all of the geraniums and fushia plants in there. So I think you could do one on a budget using salvaged items. Just a thought.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay here goes...I hope these upload alright and I haven't created some huge monster mess!

This first photo is the smaller of my three greenhouses, my daughter uses it to grow gourds. It is the same as the larger one below, which just has more sections added to it. I've included it here to try and show how we did the door and venting windows (on both sides).

This picture is of the longer (more sections) greenhouse. It should hopefully show how we reinforced the peak of the roof where the 2x4's meet, with cut plywood. We did the same type of reinforcement where the side 2x4's meet the roof ones.

This is the outside view and as you can see, it doesn't have to be built on a completely flat area. The plastic is UV rated, 6mil vapor barrier. The hoop greenhouse is in its 7th year with this type of plastic covering and I think we'll still get another year or two out of it. You can mend holes with greenhouse tape (from weedwhackin' it and putting the handle of the wheelbarrow through it). The plastic is held in place first with a staple gun, and then I nail cedar lath over it to secure it better. Easier than it sounds and I did this one by myself. It even came through our mini-hurricane this winter without a single tear.

Here you can see what I mean by the wasted space in the hoop style greenhouse.

Tomatoes and peppers LOVE this greenhouse. Sure wish I could go out and pick one of these right now!

IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o39/daisyfarm/tomatoes.jpg

Di

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Dec 29 2006 3:17:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  3:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Here's the tomatoes.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile
DI!!!! What a beautiful set up and some of those are really great photos!! Love it!! We have decided on a mini pro from greenhouses.com. It's under what we were wanting to spend and it will be a nice sturdy structure. I think I will still do some cold frames from salvaged windows though....Thank you so much for the photos!!

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile
wow Diane, im jealous!! Very nice, very nice. After seeing your pics I don't need a glass one!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  10:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Diane- are these from today? Do you still have such amazing weather? here in MN we are slightly snowed though things are melting like crazy- my ice rink is a puddle and we have to skate at the indoor rinks. your green houses are beautiful. i would love to have a couple as my hubby used to make them. the gothic style is like the more squared one you prefer. I would like a couple of these in a small scale, better to heat. I agree the old hoop house style does have alot of wasted space, but works ok for bedding plants that can be moved outside when they are ready. Good luck to you- I will check in with some people I know as there are a few companies that offer smaller greenhouses at reasonable prices. Diane- thanks for sharing the great pic's!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:05:34 PM  Show Profile
Afraid not Beth, those were from last summer. I took some to post today, but it was so dreary I decided to get out some old pics that looked a little more uplifting!
Right now my hoop greenhouse is like a war zone after the 3 feet of water that flowed through it when we flooded...all the nicely placed cedar chips in the center are now neatly place on EVERYTHING! The koi tanks in the very back even floated up out of the ground (they were buried 3 feet deep). Tis a big mess that awaits me!
You are right about the hoop house for bedding plants, there is plenty of room to move around and plant and transplant.
Di
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  10:25:44 AM  Show Profile
totally lovely, it's snowing right now! jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  8:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Diane- Your photos brought back some lovely memories of helping my Gramp with his hothouse tomatoes. After he retired he started growing everything under the sun but was determined to grow hothouse tomatoes that tasted like summer grown. He succeeded and started a small business to local restaurants and stores. I can still smell that tomato plant smell that overwhelms you each time you entered! How do you pollinate them? What time frame do you grow them? You mentioned summer, it would be too hot here in the summer indoors so a new crop was always planted outdoors primarily for the family. What a treat for you and your customers, sorry you are still dealing with the flood clean up.

Tasha- That's a nice model, plenty of cross ventilation which can be so important on those unseasonal days that heat up. Looks like a good choice. Let us know what you think of the SnapGlass that's a new product to me. Curious about how clear it stays after uv exposure.Good luck and have fun!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  8:48:39 PM  Show Profile
really like the green houses Diane. very nice.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  9:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals, I really do have fun with these greenhouses. Bramble your Gramp sounds like me. I've had a field day this winter on eBay, buying some exotic and new-to-me seeds to try. I didn't go too nuts, but did buy some fun stuff. Anyone ever tried growing any of these?
Giant Himalayan Lily - grows 6' to 12' high!
Perennial Baby's Breath with red flowers
Leopard Lily "Belamcanda chinensis" - 2-3' high
Ylang Ylang
Sweet Fragrant Tea Olive
Climbing Bittersweet

Back to the tomatoes...I start them indoors about the end of February and usually have them to the ground by mid April. They will produce until first frost about the end of October unless it gets really cold and wet.
I hand pollinate them with either q-tips or a soft paint brush. It's a little time consuming sometimes, but also very relaxing to spend an afternoon pruning, pollinating and just working in there.
I can't grow good tomatoes outdoors here, mainly because we are so close to the ocean and evenings are typically cool and damp. Blight is a huge problem here and you have to be pretty diligent to avoid it.

I'm curious about SnapGlass too Tasha.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  08:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh MY! Diane, your greenhouse is wonderful. As always, your talent blows me away. My sympathy for the mess to be cleaned up after the deluge.

I do have a sweet fragrant tea olive. It comes inside every fall and stays near a south window. The fragrance is out of this world. Next to it is a Meyer Lemon tree which also has lovely fragrant flowers. I've had 7 lemons this year and the poor dear is losing leaves--too much fruit I guess, for the nutrition in-take (I humanize the tree.) I think they both need a greenhouse!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:32:52 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, we are interested to see how the investment pays out. Hopefully it maintains it's function for a good deal of time even after the exposure.

Oh I am just getting so excited to plant again....after not having snow for so long, I almost want it to just go away and warm right up so I can get dirty.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ann. I do love to grow things. Did you grow your tea olive from seed? I really need to research more about growing this plant, the pictures sure look pretty. My (unrealistic) dream is to build a heated arboreum off the back of the house to grow fun things. I'd love to have a lemon tree!

Tasha I can so relate...there's something so good for the soul in getting down in the dirt and just getting dirty. Lord knows I can sure do that...haha.

Di
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  12:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Diane ,
what a fantastic bunch of greenhouses, I just love gardening, I have a small molded greenhouse, but cant grow things inside in the dirt.
I hope spring come early this year, this rainy winter stuff is not my fav kinda stuff.
Its just ugly today, rainy,blowy,gray, depressing
but it will Pass and spring will appear:)
shirley
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Why can't you grow anything in the dirt in your greenhouse, Shirley?

Today I keep looking at the clock wondering if I've got my days and nights mixed up...it is SO dark in here today and just pouring rain. The river jumped it's banks about an hour ago, but there's not alot of damage it can do after our big flood. Maybe it will take away some of the branches and driftwood. But now I see the wind is starting to pick up...great, lets soak the ground and then get windy! <sigh>

Spring is beginning to sprung...I see daffodils starting to peek through! Yay!
Di

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:00:56 AM  Show Profile
because it has gravel for the floor and a row of potting benches on each side.
I only got it to mess around starting plants in the spring, and then keeping my orchids in, but that didnt work out because the heater in there is to big for the greenhouse. :) its only 17 feet , I think
But we have 10 acres, so there is lots of room for another one or two. hehe
shirley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Greenhouse? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page