Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Floral Fabric 10" Square swap SIGNUPS CLOSED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Floral Fabric 10" Square swap SIGNUPS CLOSED Next Topic
Page: of 12

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  11:17:50 AM  Show Profile
Doris, So sorry to hear about your Mom. Will pray for you and your sister. It's so difficult to see your parent's health decline. Especially, their mind. My heart goes out to you all.

Well I got some more squares from Beverley today. Love them! Thank you!

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Today I received squares from Michigan.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Received blocks from Linda, Lisa, Marilyn, Sara Marquez and a Michigan sister. I love all of them. It warms my heart to have such wonderful sisters.

Sara,
Your envelope is fabulous. Thank you.

Doris,
Bless your heart. It is so hard to be a caregiver. I am a retired nurse. In my early years I worked in ICU, ER, OR and various other areas but in my later years I devoted my time to the elderly. I did hospice and dealt with all types of dementia. I have been punched, slapped, scratched, spit at, kicked, you get the picture. Just remember they aren't who they used to be. Keep yourself and her safe and agree with whatever she says. You usually can't redirect them when they are out of control. Do they have her on meds to help her? You have your hands full. Your mother's doctor has tmo give an order to keep her on hospice. If she has improved she may not qualify anymore under the guidelines of 6 months or less to live. Some people are on a few days and some are on past the 6 month timeline. Should she decline further she may qualify again. I have seen people go on and off hospice numerous times. Have you talked to the Agency on Aging in your area? They may be able to help. Good luck and take care of yourself. Many blessings to all of you

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Edited by - HealingTouch on May 21 2016 9:49:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  9:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Well girls, usually I check in to this forum to get a good word at the end of a hard day. My last two days have been exceptionally challenging, but I sit at my computer with tears in my eyes. I feel your pain. I don't know why it seems like such a surprise that everybody faces these decisions and challenges with aging parents. Is it like cancer used to be in the 70's--you just don't talk about it? Why didn't I know how widespread this problem was long ago?
My mother's memory lapses just began last fall, and they took us by surprise because none of the 4 grandparents had this issue, nor has my father. But ever since it started, I have put in some serious time considering how I can avoid placing the same burdens on my children. I can't guarantee them that I won't have senility, or even Alzheimer's, but I am bound and determined to set myself up--well before I arrive there--in some arrangement whereby I am already dependent on someone and not hanging on to my house, my car, my independence from receiving help.
There is a considerable population of Indians in our part of the state, and in their culture the youngest child automatically stays in the parents' house along with his spouse and children. This way, there is a system in place for taking care of the aging parents. It is so smart, and because it is tradition, it is not questioned. I'm trying to come up with a similar solution (assuming my children are on board) so that they never wonder who or how or all of that. Its not flawless, but its an effort.
I will keep you and your mother in my prayers, Doris.
Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  9:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, Brenda, and Darlene, Thank you for the encouragement. We are learning as we go and I guess I got really lucky by finding the Area Agency on Aging very early. They are very nice people and gave us leads on some supplies. I so appreciate what they do. Unfortunately, because of income, mom is not eligible for assistance and private pay is too expensive for any meaningful respite/companionship care. However, we are exploring options for future arrangements.

Getting away for short intervals does wonders for my outlook and helps me reset my expectations of mom's behavior. Learning to distance yourself and develop a thicker skin is tough. Before we had a clue of what we were dealing with, we tried to "reorient" mom and "remind" her of place, time, and details. After attending support groups for Alzheimer's Association, I realized that we were doing it all wrong!! I felt incredibly guilty and thought how could we be so in the dark about Alz and dementia? Honestly, it has been the stories shared by other people that have helped the most. Knowing that we are not the only ones to experience this and feel like we've awakened in the twilight zone really helps!

On a happier note, my squares are bundled and ready for Monday drop off. I was just too tired to make the early morning run to the post office today. Being such a small post office, they are only there until about 8:45 on Saturdays. Just long enough to put the mail into the boxes, I guess. Can't blame them. . . it's a one horse town.

I'm excited to be in this swap and hope you all like the prints that I chose. Hopefully, I will not mess up an otherwise beautiful scheme!

Hugs to all!!

SouthForty, MJFG#3794

~*~ You can put your boots in the oven but that don't make 'em biscuits! ~*~
Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  10:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, I think I must've been composing my message for so long that I did not see yours. Indeed, there are other cultures who have worked out some of the logistics of who stays and who goes when it comes to aging parents. My father's wife comes from a large family and they each take turns staying with their 95+ year old mother. And a coworkers siblings did the same with their aging grandparent. Very nice stories of family taking care of family.

Thank you for your prayers!

SouthForty, MJFG#3794

Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - May 22 2016 :  4:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh dang...no return label from Michigan is me :( I was in such a yank to mail them I forgot.

quote:
Originally posted by Liscuva

I rec'd fabric from Linda, Sara and someone in Michigan ( no return label)...thank you all:)

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/albums
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - May 22 2016 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Doris,

There is form of hospice called "Palliative Care". My husband is no where near death and he would qualify. Check into it for your mother.

I'm not quite ready for him to be on it yet. He has Esophageal Cancer, metastasized to his liver, spine and lung. He's doing pretty good...gardening and mowing so far this year :)

I should have read all the posts...someone already mentioned this :)

quote:
Originally posted by SouthForty

Hello Sisters,

So sorry for the lack of communication on my part lately. It's been a rough year and this past month has really been hard. For those of you who don't already know, my mother is on Hospice and my sister and I are caring for her for as long as possible in her home. Not to overshare here but she has a rare brain disorder (as best as the test can show before she passes) and her decline can take many paths. We are learning as we go and have found out jut how brutal the "system" can be. Little did we know, that taking exceptional care of her --i.e. no falls, no infections, and no bed sores-- actually has caused her to be disqualified for Hospice care. Basically, her body is not dying fast enough!! I say this not as excuse for being away but because I feel some of you out there may know about caring for elders and may have already ventured down this path. We are hoping that home health will pick her up and she will not lose access to the equipment and supplies that have become a part of our daily life. Okay, enough of that issue. . . let me say what I came on to say. . .

I have received three envelopes so far. Thank you to: Marilyn, Linda, & mystery sender from MI!!

My squares are all cut and every envelope is addressed, all ready to go in the a.m. I was worried about adequate postage so I was going to have them weighed just to be sure that I covered it but now I see two out of the three made it here with a single "forever" stamp. If that is typical then I probably have enough stamps already - but since it is now p.m. I'll go ahead and have them weighed tomorrow. This is my first fabric swap and I didn't want to screw it up!

Things are busy and I'm sure my family is tired of my calendar of deadlines for what they probably feel are silly projects. But having this outlet helps me focus on things a bit more pleasant than long term care and ever after plans! This forum and everything about MJF makes me happy! Thank you for having me in your groups and being virtual buddies!!

SouthForty, MJFG#3794

Farmgirl Sister #2315

Edited by - Christy925 on May 22 2016 4:12:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  11:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh what fun I just had, opening envelopes of flowers covering 10" squares of fabric. Thank you goes to Maryellen, Beverley B., Brenda, Darlene, and Lisa in New York. Thanks, this is so exciting.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  11:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Flowers in my mailbox from Maryellen, Brenda and Beverley. Thank you. #128522;

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  3:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow! This was such an exciting mail day! Thank you all for the floral fabric squares to Christy, Lisa, Brenda, Maryellen, Darlene R. and Beverley!
I did cut fabric today...DH keeps wanting to head for town for errands and they turn into day trips..and I crash when we get home.
Well, tomorrow is another day!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  9:18:35 PM  Show Profile
I want to add "ditto" to all of the above. Soooooo fun to find all those pudgy envelopes at the end of a hard day!

Also, thank you to Lisa for offering some company to my squares! They shouldn't feel quite so lonely anymore lol! I'm glad I went straight out and picked out what called to my heart, cuz if I'd seen all the others and how well they get along with each other, I'd have felt like I had to choose something else. Instead, they represent the weird me, they have two more "quirky" flower prints to party with them, and I know every crafty one of you will do something amazing with them all! What fun this is!
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  04:26:57 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
Thinking of you and your family.
I am behind sending my squares. I am off tomorrow and am hoping I will not be too late at work today and will be able to stop at the post office. My daughter's step grandmother passed away last weekend, and needed some mom time last night. I have several envelopes to open and I can't wait until tonight to open them!
Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  11:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Bev M. for the pretty floral fabrics.
Tasks have been reordered for me so often lately, I'm just about dizzy. Today I am ironing and cutting my second fabric. Envelopes are ready! Wish me luck!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  11:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Dear Sisters,
Don't fret if you are behind or got busy. We all live in this world and things happen. Relax and when you send it we will all be happy to look at all our blocks and say "look how my sisters love me!" We are all good and have the best of intentions. As we can see, there are far more important and sad issues than sending the blocks later than you wanted to. We must always remember to lift each other up. That's what we do. Thank God for each of us.

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by HealingTouch

Dear Sisters,
Don't fret if you are behind or got busy. We all live in this world and things happen. Relax and when you send it we will all be happy to look at all our blocks and say "look how my sisters love me!" We are all good and have the best of intentions. As we can see, there are far more important and sad issues than sending the blocks later than you wanted to. We must always remember to lift each other up. That's what we do. Thank God for each of us. We are blessed to be sisters

Darlene
Sister 1922

Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  4:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Doris and Sara, I am so sorry for your mothers' health issues. My sister and I went through those times with my mother about 7 years ago. I certainly understand it is not easy!

Darlene, thank you for your hug in words on a day when I really needed it. Okaaaay then! I now have only half of half the last half of the fabric to cut! Here I go girls!!!

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  7:58:48 PM  Show Profile
ooooo! Some more beautiful fabric squares. Thank You to Darlene, Mary Ellen and squares from New York. Love them all. Just great to see all the different ones. I love Swaps. They are like Christmas all year long. Should have done this Swap a while ago. Hope there is another one in the future.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  9:34:03 PM  Show Profile
I love your "pudgy envelope" comment. Reminds me of pudgy short people (usually referred to as children.) Tall people are adults. Anyway I received two cute squares from BEV today. Thank you.
Please let's have a group hug. We are all so crazy busy and tired. It is supposed to be fun doing this swap. Please do not get stressed if you have a bump in your road. I get behind too, but Somehow it gets done, and I say, thank you GOD for helping me. Hugs all around. Have a great HUMP day tomorrow. Relax. XXOOXXOOXXOOXX

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 24 2016 9:35:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marti732
True Blue Farmgirl

398 Posts

Marti
Breckenridge Michigan
USA
398 Posts

Posted - May 24 2016 :  9:56:17 PM  Show Profile
well spoken Darlene, you're so right! Life happens and we can but go with the flow.
Sara and Doris, so sorry to hear of your troubles. Sending prayers for Moms, DHs, kids and all loved ones for all of my Farmgirl Sisters.
I have so many flowers in my mailbox! Thank you all, they're so lovely!
I meant to send mine out yesterday... had a dentist appt. and took them with me, but forgot to drop them in the mail.. so they went out today.
Christy!! I was like.. oohhh pretty!!! from... uh... hmmmmm. now I can put your name on that envelope so I know who sent them. I am keeping my squares in the envelopes till I use them, then I can add to my Sister quilt and put the names on the quilt with each square. it's gonna be a loooong time before it's done, but if I can get some together I'll take photos and show you all where your lovely fabrics are being used. I have 3 other quilts in the making right now and you all have helped sooo much in getting me where I need to be with them. HUGS!

Marti
Farmgirl #2684

Friends are sisters we choose with our heart.
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  02:43:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad we're all going with the flow:) My newest granddaughter "Evelyn Fay" was born Saturday. What a precious event to witness. Brought a much needed light to a difficult week. Marti your idea to keep the names with the squares is outstanding! Now I wish I'd done that. I can see a friendship quilt with everyone's signature on the block with their fabric. So many ideas and so little time. I pray for everyone's difficulties. May we all stay calm and enjoy going with the flow.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  03:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, DearcFarm Sisters.. My heart goes out to you and so many who struggle caring for ill and aging family members.
My own Mom had bladder cancer, discovered as a metasized. We had her for two weeks after she return home from the hospital. Hospice came in. A blessing. Kidneys shut down, coma for 10 days before dying a peaceful ( morphine) passing.

Dad went to the nursing home 7!years later with Parkinson's and P's dementia-- nothing as bad as Alzheimer's. He was made as a hornet, but eventually accepted the best he could. There was no way he could have stayed home any longer..And I promised Mom I would never do this. Tears.

So many of my friends are childless and have health issues. I worry so about them. So far, none have become dependent on health care agencies.

As a former CNA, Nursing Hime Medicaid worker, and Social services director in a Nursing home-- I have to say I am appalled at the amazing increases in Alzheimer's and cancers. I fear that much of it comes f I'm the chemicals/pollutants in our water and especially all the chemicals in our foods. Probably 80 %?of our food additives have been banned in Europe for years. I

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  04:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Dear Sisters,
I understand the struggles you face with aging parents and my heart goes out to you.
My Mom was diagnosed with metastasized bladder cancer and she was at home under Hospice care when she died. We had some home health care for hygiene, and Hospice was wonderful.
Dad went in the nursing home with Parkensons and P's dementia (so much lighter than Alzheimer's). He was really mad at me; and I had promised Mom I would not put him in a Home-- but when I couldn't get him from the bed to a wheel chair in the morning, he was totally inconontinent and wheel chair bound, it was unsafe for him to be in the house when I worked, (unmarried, so I needed to keep working).

Since there is a little Alzheimer's in my family, I did some research on preventative - or at least stave off this nasty disease.
I think with all the pollution in our water and chemicals in our food, if you can eat organically the better. Europe bans 80 % of the food additives our country( lobbiests) allow in our food.

That said: I found that maintaining a healthy weight, exercising, staying active and engaged in life, eating a vegetarian, semi vegetarian or Mediterranean diet with very limited red meat is somewhat protective. Oh, especially cultivating friendships like our farm sisters and reducing stress- finding ways to " meditate - perhaps remembering Mother Natures beauty, enjoying a romp with your pet, or holding a new grand baby ( or kitty) is good.

That said: I think I am failing on most of the above.

But I'm working at it in. Happily married now, lovely kiddos and wonderful pets. Life is good.
And with MJF Girls, a very special place to share, smile, and even cry together. You are all treasures.

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  04:20:11 AM  Show Profile
-message deleted-

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile
Just, a little "add to". First, nothing will put a damper on my fabric swaps! Today is a new day! and a nap does me wonders! My squares are all in the envelopes and ready for a trip to town. So, I am good again! Wow, Marilyn! My first layer cake too! (and not nearly so expensive) I loved the "pudgy envelope" too! Cracked me up! I really tried to iron mine v e r y flat this time! Hopefully, none will be torn.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Floral Fabric 10" Square swap SIGNUPS CLOSED Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page