Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Have to take Freida to the Vet...UPDATE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Have to take Freida to the Vet...UPDATE Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile

Update Tuesday: Freida will be euthanized Thursday morning and we will bring her home to be buried next to Truman. I am inconsolable. We decided late last night that we did not want Freida to suffer through the arsenic treatment as she has clear signs of neurological paralysis and weakness. Thank you ladies for all of your kind thoughts and prayers.

Update: Just got in from the vets....it's not good. Freida is full of heart worms. It has affected her neurologically and that is why she is losing her ability to use her hind legs. She has a temp and she is losing an enormous amount of hair (the vet said it was called blowing her coat) Treatment is an arsenic based therapy - which she orders from Europe. But, Freida is sick and will have to be put into a hospital to get her to recover somewhat for the long and dangerous aresenic therapy if we agree to go with that. I am torn. It is a dangerous and very expensive treatment and a lot can happen during the course. According to her adoption papers she was tested in Alabama and in Green Bay and the test for heart worms came up negative. Since we brought her home I have been giving her monthly preventative medication specifically for heart worm. But, Bruce and I believe Freida must have had this before we adopted her. Her placidness and calmness we feel was because she was already ill. We have a decision to make whether to put her thru the treatment or to euthanize her. It is already manifesting symptoms within her own body the paralysis of her hind legs-the fever-the loss of appetite. She has not eaten in two days. I am crushed. I tend to be an old bat -my nature-and I have always held my emotions in check, but today ladies, I completely lost it in the clinic. Your thoughts and prayers are so very much appreciated. Thank you so much it has helped me a lot today and will continue to give me strength in the days to come.

Melody

Yesterday, Freida lost the ability to use her hindquarters. She actually "slid" down the front steps because she could not navigate. I walked her on over to the warm grass and checked her over, but could not find anything out of the ordinary. We walked a while very slowly and tried to get back up the front porch steps. It took her a while and when we got inside she immediately laid down. I gave her a baby aspirin right after that. She didn't eat all day just had some water. When I coaxed her outside to go pee she did the same thing. It's as if her back legs won't navigate so she can go down the steps. This morning the same thing. I placed her water bowl and she drank, but she refuses any dog food. I spoke with our vet this morning and we have an appt to see her at 3:00 this afternoon. I am assuming for x-rays. I am worried-that it might be a slipped disc-Corgi's and Shepherds are known for this. Think good thoughts girls....

Melody

Edited by - melody on Mar 22 2016 09:54:48 AM

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  10:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Melody...prayed for Freida...please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  12:02:55 PM  Show Profile
How sad. I hope she is okay. Please let us know what happens.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  12:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melody I am sorry, I hope all goes well at the vet for Sweet Freida. Please keep us posted .
Big Hugs to you, your family and Freida.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  1:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody, so sorry to hear this. Hoping and PRAYING the vet can help her!
HUGS and PRAYERS!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  3:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Melody! Thanks for the update, so heartbreaking! I'll be praying for you and your decision! I'm sooooooo sorry!
HUGS and PRAYERS!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  05:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Thinking of you today Melody, keeping you in my thoughts and heart.
Big Hugs.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  07:30:15 AM  Show Profile
This is a difficult decision to make. I would say that if she loses half her body weight because she won't eat, the outcome has been decided by the dog. For my own pets, I have noticed that they stop eating their regular food first. I then feed them canned food. When they stop eating that, I give them people food. When they stop eating that, it is time to let go. You will know when it is time. I am so glad that Freida has had a good life with you.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Melody,

I just saw this. I am so sorry about your beloved Freida. I don't know what I would do without my pom, Oreo, he's my constant buddy. Know that you are thought of and cared about. Please keep us posted.

sending you big hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

FGOTM August 2012

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
What a difficult decision to be made, but it's made out of love for Frieda. I'm sooooo sorry!
Sending Hugs and prayers!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  12:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Melody, my heart hurts for you. I am so sorry you had to experience this. It's such a tough decision. Give her many loves from me. Let me know if you need anything.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  12:33:29 PM  Show Profile
She is a beauty. I know it is hard sometimes to let them go, but it sounds like you are doing the loving thing. She will appreciate that.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile
Melody, you have given her the greatest gift that can be given, to know love and feel safe. I will pray for all of you.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Melody...I am so sorry. Most of us know the heartache of having to put down a Fur-baby who is
Precious to us. I know you didn't have Frieda long...but it was long enough to love her and grow
attached to her. I think you made the right choice...in the end it will heal all of you. I do believe
that our pets go to Heaven and so I can picture Frieda running and romping with other dogs and
being happy and free from pain and abuse at the hands of others. Try to keep that mental picture.

I will be praying for you on Thursday!

Hugs and Empathy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Have to take Freida to the Vet...UPDATE Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page