Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
I need some help ladies!

As a newlywed couple, we bought our first camper together this past summer. We take great pride in caring for it, but we have discovered that it is nearly impossible to keep Mice out over winter. Do any of you glamping ladies have any suggestions or thoughts on what works and what doesn't?

Sister #6700

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  7:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
I have a little trailer that I'm able to keep hooked up to electricity. I use the electronic PestChaser devices to deter them. So far, it has been working. Just a little unit you plug into an electrical outlet. I believe they are made by Victor and I've purchased them from Walmart.
I use those in my house as well.
Don't know but maybe they'll work for you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Melody, if you crawl around beneath your trailer with a caulking gun you'll be able to see where they're getting in and then fill the holes. I've also used foam in a can for that purpose. Check around the wheel wells, that's the first place where I find mouse doors. I prefer taking down the welcome signs!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  2:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Good advice, Mary Jane! I have never seen evidence of mice in the trailer, even when I bought it and I did take some prevention measures as well.
They are such little annoyances!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2016 :  9:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Here is my little trick for rodent deterent,,, hang little sachets of grated up Irish Spring soap,,, in the wheel well area as well as under the sink where the plumbing lines come into the trailer and in closets , drawers and under the bed frame to.
I also drape sheets of "Bounce" dryer sheets , over the tires...
So far it has worked for me,,, also hubby and I hang the little sachets of grated up Irish Spring soap in the inside /under the hood of our vehicles to deter the rodents,,, the mice won't build their nests in the engine because of the Irish Spring soap.
We replace the sachets yearly... if you don't want to make the sachets, you can buy those nylon draw sting bags at the dollar type stores, I use the little 2x2" size bags. Fill with the grated soap, and hang. Easy peasy.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2016 :  1:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all of the helpful advice, ladies! My husband and I are very thankful for all of your help!

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  12:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Melody,, just another lil trailer fyi tidbit...
When you close up your trailer for the Winter,,, get a box, like a shoe box... fill it with (non-clumping) cat litter... and place it on the floor in the center of your trailer... if you have a large trailer, over 16ft I would use two.
The litter helps wick up the moisture and helps keep the mustiness at a minimal... and the clay litter is cheap,,, I re-package up the litter in the summer and use it in the kitty litter box. Then the following Winter I put in fresh litter in the trailer. If you don't have kitty litter boxe, give the litter to your hubby to use for oil spills around the auto.
Talk about recycling! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Also make sure to take all food out when you store your camper. We always make sure to empty all food, vacuum and sweep to make sure we are all clear of any crumbs. My in-laws made the mistake of leaving food in theirs. When they opened it up the following summer the inside was completely ruined and the smell was awful.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Tru Dat! Krista....
Never Ever leave food in the trailer,,, Period!
I keep separate 'containers' for staples like tea/coffee, sugar, etc that I store in a larger container (think small tupper containers in a 2x3 storage container)... in the mud room... so when I am packing up to head out,,, I just grab-n-Go...
I also do this w/towels & bedding.... don't want to find any 'crawely' surprises in my bed or towels... It may sound like a pain in the middle of summer,,, but less 'surprises' this way. And at the end of the season, easy to bring in, launder and pack away for the next season.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  5:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Again ladies! You have all been so helpful. I've been a little paranoid about leaving anything in the camper over winter so everything is packed away in storage totes in my house.

I'm definitely going to try the Kitty Litter trick! I'm a veterinary technician so cat litter is easy to find around my house :) I really appreciate all of your help!

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

GoatieGirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Melody
Cochranton Pa
USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, just a fascinating update. My husband and I waged a full on war with these rodents. We are animal lovers and do own little dogs and cats so rat poison is not an option. We started setting traps. Both large rat traps for chipmunks and mouse traps. 12 Total. In one weeks time, we have caught 20 mice and 11 chipmunks! We live in the woods, so you can imagine my frustration! We love our new little camper and we hate to have some pesky rodents ruin it for us!

Sister #6700
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  9:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Melody,,, I hear ya,,, when I lived in Spokane, WA... we lived out on the West Plains,,, wheat farm land,, so rodents are plentiful!
Then we moved to Central Calif..., up in the mountains near Yosemite and yep... rodents galore! Thank goodness our 3 lil barn kitties love to hunt... but... for what ever reason they like to 'store' their 'kill' under my trailer !!! oh good grief!

I like MaryJane's suggestion about the 'spray on foam' for any gaps that might be a point of entry for the lil critters!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  10:38:34 AM  Show Profile
One tip for finding the holes is to place a bright light under the camper, go in side and look in all of your cabinets, hatches, etc and you will see any openings. Also, a rodent deterrent is peppermint oil on cotton balls and those can be tucked in tight spots.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  1:17:56 PM  Show Profile
During our recent prolongggggggged remodel -- my sweetie stored the contents of my sewing room in a mini-van in our driveway. (It was cheaper than renting a storage container) I expressed my concern, because we live in the woods and have chipmunks and squirrels and have had mice in the basement a time or two -- but of course he knew better and told me there was no WAY that mice would get into my things. The things that were sealed in bins are all A-Okay, but you should have seen the acorns, sunflower seeds and the unmentionable "left-behinds" from all the rodents that had been in there! It was interesting which things they attacked and which they left behind, but suffice it to say that I have had quite a time sorting through what I can keep and what has to be thrown away. In a way, it was a good lesson -- "things are just things," -- but rodents can get in anywhere and NOW maybe my sweetheart believes me! ha ha ha

I will have to try the Irish Spring, though! My car sits for a bit sometimes.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup Marilyn, they can get in ANYWHERE! The places we have found mice are unbelievable! UGH!!!

Haven't seen any in my glamper trailer but I sealed it up good and since I can plug it in to electricity I use a PestChaser device in it. Seems to work pretty good! I also know to NOT keep any food items of any sort out there!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MnMotherMary
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mary
Jordan MN
USA
20 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  08:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Make sure you pug all the holes with steel wool & caulk. We used Bounce or similar stinky dryer sheet in every drawer & space when we closed it up for the winter. Never a problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Mice in Camper Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page