Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  04:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Im thinking about investing in a "pop up" tent in the hopes that I can get out on the road someday. I'd be travelling abalone a lot of the time, so I need something I can put up and take down easily by myself. There are so many pop ups and "instant" tents out there. Anyone have any experience with them?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  05:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy, I don't have experience with a pop-up but I think if you posted your question on our Glampers on the Loose Facebook page, you'd find quite a few women who have them and can make suggestions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/glampersontheloose/

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Amy, check out LL Bean. I know they can be pricey, however, they have a fabulous guarantee on the poles, etc. I was looking into the one that had a screened area for hanging out when the bugs gets to be too much.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Amy,
I agree with Mary Jane about posting on the Facebook Glampers on the Loose page. LOTS of gals there with all kinds of experience with all kinds of equipment.

I'm sure you'll find something because there is so much available out there.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Amy,,, at last years Sisters on the Fly Glamping event (200+ trailers) there was everything from attachable truck tents to tents to fiberglass pop-ups as well as pop-up tent trailers... camp trailers, RPods, motorhomes etc.
One gal had a tent attachment that hooked up to the back of her little Subaru Outback wagon...
For sure check places like Cabellas, Camping World etc., and other like type places.
I camped with a gal who had a 'Chalet',, it is a fiberglass type pop-up/tow behind. It was the smallest model,, and she could set it up by herself in less the 20min. and she loved it.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

719 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
719 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Amy, as someone who has done a lot of camping, I find that most newer tents are quite easy to set up for one person. We have had a couple of North Face tents and the smaller one is super simple, but I can even put up our 6 person one on my own if need be. Our small North Face tent is somewhat similar to their Talus 3, and we've just loved it. Ours weighs about 8lbs and my son has taken it on backpacking trips. I see the Talus 3 only weighs 5 lbs. I would just keep in mind that you need space for your belongings and personally I would choose at a minimum a 2 person tent, but would prefer a 3 person just to be comfortable and not crowded. Also you want the fly to go all the way to the ground unless you are only going to camp in good weather. Hope that helps.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  1:47:58 PM  Show Profile
They're pricey but REI has great tents and they're guaranteed. They have employees who can answer any question about a particular tent. I have a two-person tent that I think came from Target and I can easily set it up. I once had a very small tent that I had to move---I just picked it up (already set up) put it in the back of a truck and moved it. Easy-peasy. Good luck.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  7:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh this is so much wonderful information! I will follow up on all your suggestions, and am so grateful. I recently requested to join the "Glampers On The Loose" Facebook group. Thanks so much!

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Amy,
I agree with the comments about getting something big enough. Our tent is supposed to be for SIX people, but there is NO WAY you can get siz people in there with any room for beds, clothing, or even to breathe. We MIGHT be able to get four in it, but it would be a tight fit. My daughter like to use air mattresses, lots of lovely bedding and rugs and a little table between our mattresses and have room for our clothing, etc.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  10:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Amy, many moons ago I did a lot of tent camping (I think my bones are getting to used to a comfy bed) and I bought myself a 2 person tent. They are easy to put up and had just enough room for me to have some space next to my air mattress. I didn't spend a lot of time in my tent so it was perfect. Did a three week cross country - Quebec to British Alberta camping away. Stopped in Alberta for the Calgary stampede ..... ah .... to have young bones again!

Good luck finding something you will be comfortable with! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Amy,,, here is a pic of a really easy to set up Alpine....(Chalet)
there are so many options for easy Glamping be it tents or trailers.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you could find a tent to rent or borrow to try out, then select the one you want.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  05:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace and Bonnie. I think I am going to try to rent or try things out somehow after I do some more research. Right now I'm just starting to plan. It will be several years I'm guessing before I can actually hit the road on a regular basis. Caring for my mom is my priority, she'll be 94 on Wednesday! I'm not in any hurry for her to go to heaven, but when she does, I want to be ready to glamp.:)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  9:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Amy,,,, you can 'Glamp' in your living room,, just pitch your tent (sheet over the dining room table), grab your favorite MJF magazine, some munchies, a soda pop, flash light and sleeping bag,,, find your inner lil girl and just be silly and enjoy!
Heck, if Cj and I could, we'd come over and join ya! A Girlie Giggling Glamping fest!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Tenting? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page