Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION Next Topic
Page: of 2

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile
o.k. farmgurlz .. this is not an 'official' book club .. but i figgered if we are ever going to discuss books .. it's best to start with the best .. maryjane's own wonderful book! i think lots of us have it .. and if not .. it should be at the very TOP of your christmas wish list .. to find underneath the tree in a few days!

i hate to start this and then skip out for a month .. and maybe we are too busy to start reading it just yet .. and if you DON'T have it yet .. you will have a whole month to GET it!

how's about when i return in February .. we all start going through it again (or for the first time) and ooooh and aaaah about our favorite things.

yep! i do believe we have somewhat done this before .. but there are so many new farmgurlz here in the farmyard since that time. sooo .. come FEBRUARY .. i'll start posting and ya'll jump right in!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! I received it for Christmas last year and just soaked it all up in the days following. So this time of year is already being dubbed "MJF Book Season" in my head! It's about time to get it out again and dig in. Have a fantastic trip Frannie, will look forward to chatting when you return!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Good idea, Frannie! I can't wait to revisit that lovely book --

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  6:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Merry Christmas (almost) to everyone!

I love, love, love this book!

I read it and re-read it...and try some things...and read some more. I just today put the sourdough starter in the refrigerator after starting it 7 days ago...it is wonderful.

I'm beginning to embroider dishtowels (slow going!!!) after reading about it in her book.

Again, this book is wonderful, and inspirational!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  7:45:13 PM  Show Profile
I might be more of an observer. I ordered two copies sometime back, but only one was sent (and I was only billed for one, too). I gave the one copy to my daughter, but I'm sure she'd lend it to me.
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  9:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll join in the discussion. I've read and reread most of the book. I'd love to hear other thoughts on the chapters. Feb. will work well for me.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  6:37:30 PM  Show Profile
oh gurlz .. this WILL be fun. IF i get distracted (ha! MOI??) someone remind me when i get back to town in february! and maryann .. ask santa for your own personal copy! you can get it at bookstores .. or give maryjane a jingle and ask them to send you another copy (she might even still be autographing the ones that come from the farm!) xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  9:13:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping that Santa will be delivering my book on Christmas Eve. That gives me all of January to read and absorb. Count me in on the discussion/sharing.

Sandy in Missouri

I'm at that age where I need my own warning label!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Im in.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  4:05:45 PM  Show Profile
I got the book for Christmas yesterday as well as a MJF gift certificate

What projects from the book have you tried so far?

I canned the apple pie filling and have made several apple pies using the pie crust recipe that's with the cherry pie in the book.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  07:13:24 AM  Show Profile
I've had the book about a month or so. I love it. I'd like to join a discussion.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a plan Frannie! I have read the book about...ohhhh a zillion times, but would be happy to "review" & chat about it! I keep my copy on the living room coffee table because I think it's so bee-u-tee-ful!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

smallcoffee
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Susan

18 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile
The sunday morning squash muffins are very good.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile
I would like to be involved too. I have questions about somethings, and would like to just chat about others.
Looking forward to it girls!

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  12:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Santa did indeed bring me a MJF book! I'm up to the chapter on holding a tag sale/barn sale and the wheels are turning in my little brain. And I don't even have a barn! ;-}

Sandy in Missouri

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  10:00:34 PM  Show Profile
well chilluns .. keep writing your comments and sharing with everyone. i'll be back to our little 'book club' in feburary! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:46:06 PM  Show Profile
My first MJF exposure was the magazine that I found at the local Safeway (haven't found any there since, though!).
Then I saw the book at the library and checked it out...I just recently purchased my own copy. I regularly look through it just to daydream.
I HAD to buy the stitching magazine when I found it, since I'm a seamstress...but I've lost it somewhere...that issue led me here...
My mom is now looking to purchase her own copy of the book, too.
Now I'm just waiting for the doors to open for my own little farm. This is a dream that has been in the wings for a long time, but I keep finding nudges toward it...like Carla Emery's Encyclopedia and MJ's Ideabook...
Good things come to those who wait, right?!
Faith
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile
I absolutly love my MJF book and refer to it all the time. My relatives always notice it when they visit since it is out visible all the time and I have converted several to NEEDING one and have given a few as gifts. I can hardly wait for more books an have all the magazines except the first one. I feel honored to have been in the round robin to read it and so I have read it but don't own one. I started getting the magazines with the "Art of the Egg" issue and bought back issues before that one and have bought the new stuff since. I LOVE the little Farmgirl Wisdom book too...so cute and the magnets are cute on my fridge.
I have had the Carla Emery book for 20 years and always loved all the practical info and all in that..find it neccessary to have. I even got to host Carla here in my home twice..she stayed 3 days the last time..what a quiet, humble gal..very sad when she passed away.
I do feel like I have finally found my perfect FIT with MJF though...more my style..I am not as "hardcore" as some of the back to the land books...a little bit of the girly in me that I didn't know about until MJF...I LOVE that part. I love having a definition of me. FARMGIRL all the way!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, Have the plans to read and discuss this great book been dropped? Is everyone busy getting ready for spring to spring, for gardens to grow?

Val
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  04:50:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm dreaming about a garden...I don't think it'll happen this year. I ususally help plant and tend to the garden at my parent's farm since I live in the city but this summer my brother is getting married and I think things are going to be too busy for us to tend to it like we should. We may just do some corn and possibly a couple other things that are a little easier to handle.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been making tea towels with hand embroidery lately. What a relaxing time that turns out to be. I also made a little dress clothespin holder before I got the book. Will make another one now for myself.
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  04:29:17 AM  Show Profile
You know I must have been "Asleep at the wheel " when this topic started..I keep an eye out for Frannie's stuff.....I could never find the books here any place,No Books no magazines, its like Md. doesn't know about MaryJanes Farm.....Believe me that the people at Borders Bookstore do now....I will have to look for the stitching Book asap........I have been doing Embroidery lately and love it.....Maybe I'll call MJF today....I love to curl up and just read,read,read these books..

Hi to Sunshine and Nancy Jo, how you all doing..??

Newheart.

NewHeart

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie

Edited by - newheart on Feb 22 2007 04:31:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I found you. It was the book that led me here. Please don't let this topic drop... Reading the book made me realize these ideas I've had too are important and beautiful to follow through on.

How has reading her book impacted or resonated with you?

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Mar 03 2007 11:20:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  5:34:37 PM  Show Profile
When I am feeling stessed out, I get the book out and read it. It reminds me to be thankful for the family I have and for the opportunity to live simply and honestly. For example, I don't usually like to iron, but when I do it for a little while, I find that it is relaxing and almost like meditating between the smells and the warmth of it. I had not appreciated that until I read the book and she talked about it as a chore that can be enjoyed. I even used starch on my linens (which I have been making myself), which made it more fun. It's time to stop rushing through everything just to get it done. The finish line is death, so why the hurry! :)
Go to Top of Page

cathy jane
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Cathy
Cynthiana Kentucky
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  6:06:24 PM  Show Profile
What has resonated with me when reading MJF - the book and the mags - is validation of this life I love so very much! Our pastor spoke this morning of the absolute AWE we hold as small children of the splendor God has given us in the beauty of every day! Yet, we are such a jaded world that takes so much for granted, and often without truly enjoying any of it. How sad! I find SO MUCH joy in the every day - I know it's mundane to lots of folks, that's why I love to connect with y'all about the simple pleasures and blessings.

For instance, we had a day that was good for hanging laundry out this week - temps above freezing, and breezy, but not too windy - I adore line-dried flannel nightgowns, big fluffy towels, soft sheets, and I truly enjoy hanging the wash out, too - even when my fingers get cold! And then, this afternoon I ordered 4 fruit trees to finally get our orchard started, and I just finished ordering vegetable seeds. What a lovely Sunday afternoon it's been here at Honey Hill Homestead.

I even had a small tragedy today when one of my old Americauna hens died. I knew she was doing poorly for the past couple of days, and I didn't think she'd last long at feeding time this morning. But she was still moving on her own, and eating and drinking, so I let her be. She was laying stretched out in the sunshine dead this afternoon. Her beautifully penciled feathers - she was a rich butterscotch color with dark edging - were ruffling in the cool March breeze. She gave us lots of beautiful blue eggs during her 4 years of life, and she went peacefully, lying in the sun. But this is just part of life that we farmgirls take in stride.

Reading MJF has also awakened a deep-seated desire to learn to sew. My Mom sewed all of my older siblings clothes when they were very young, but she had given all that up for store-bought by the time I was born. I love to cook and garden and raise animals, but I'd like to MAKE something that lasts - like matching aprons for my daughter and granddaughter and me!

Right now my book is lent to a friend, but thinking of it makes me want if back!

By the way, there's a mention of the wonderful soaps from Sunflower Sundries here in Kentucky. Jennifer Gleason makes those soaps, and some delicious jams, too. She is a friend whom my daughter and I love to visit each year at her Christmas Open House, and in the spring at her little community's asparagus festival. Jennifer is a lovely, gracious farmlady! Check out her website. - I think it's simply www.sunflowersundries.com.

cathy jane

"Treat everyone you meet today as if they are wearing a sign that says MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL!" Mary Kay Ash
contact me at www.marykay.com/cathyjrichie
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely description of the day! Wow. I could read it over and over. I loaned out my copy a week ago to someone who thought she'd only take a glance...I think she's hooked now too.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page