Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile
That IS a wonderful description - I feel like I was right there in your day, Cathy Jane!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cathy-

What a way with words you have! I could completely picture you day and even imagined your homestead a little!

I agree with you- MaryJane’s book really inspires me to sew as well. In fact, before I got her book I had hardly sewed anything before! I might have quickly tacked up a hem or two out of necessity. (No one makes clothes that fit my legs- I am only 5 feet tall!) But last year I purchased my first sewing machine and have since started on sewing projects. I always have at least one going at any given time now!

What I personally love about MaryJane’s book is how she captures the most perfect descriptions of _feelings_. It is so heart to describe feelings without resorting to clichéd phrases and cheap worn out platitudes. However, MaryJane doesn’t do that to us in her book. I particularly like the section where she talks about “Springtide”. It’s in Wall Tent Living and when she mentioned that feeling- I knew exactly what she meant. It’s the same feeling I get whenever I stand on a precipice looking out over a beautiful valley, or when I see an amazing old tree that has been growing for a thousand years, and perhaps best of all- when I see the earth and animals renewing themselves in babies and new sprouts.

So I have a question for all of you-

When you read the “Lend a Hand” section did it inspire you to reach out to your neighbors more?

Her description of growing up with such a great sense of community really reminds me of how it felt to grow up in my small Wyoming town. Living in a bigger city now and reading this section makes me realize how much that sense of community is being lost with our modernizing world. I loved re-reading this section a few weeks ago because it reminded me of how it is really a necessity that we network and connect with those around us. I should make pies and take them to my neighbors… or perhaps not. My pie crust isn’t that good. Maybe they would like Butter cookies? I have wonderful recipe for those….

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Alee - reading the "Lend a Hand" section DID inspire me to be what I believe is a better neighbor. I feel like I've always been friendly, but sometimes with a couple of little ones, I find it harder to go out of my way to stop and chat with a person who looks like they could use some company, or to take the long way home because I know it passes by the "Hansen Brothers" and they LIKE to talk! It always ends up being worth it, however. My little ones get to experience the love and knowledge of an older generation, and, even if the garden doesn't get weeded completely that day like I'd planned, it's okay. Thanks for the reminder. I also decided, after reading your post above, that there are a few people who need a pie - and my crust isn't perfect either - but good intentions and love make up for an imperfect crust in my book! When someone brings me a gift like that, I love it - no matter what it is!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie-

Thanks so much for reminding me of my goal to bake for my neighbors! I haven't had a chance to do anything lately but I am renewing my determination to bake before the end of the week! I am going to try and do a batch of cookies for my neighbors and a loaf of no-wheat bread for a family friend that I am going to be having lunch with on Sunday.

We have some friends that are struggling financially here in town. I am hoping that my garden takes off here soon so that I can help them by giving them the "extras" from my garden. I am really encouraged by how many lettuce sprouts that are appearing.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  08:49:09 AM  Show Profile
I just bought my copy yesterday and have only had a few moments to flip through it. All I kept thinking as I read here and there was that it felt like home. Everything just felt so comforting and RIGHT.

I'm so happy to have found MJF.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deb-

So glad you found us over here! I think you hit the nail on the head. MaryJane does an awesome job of describing and showing those things that make us feel happy, healthy, and homey!

I love her recipe section! All of her recipes that I have tried so far have turned out amazing! I always love baking her things because I know they are going to turn out beautifully and be healthy to boot!

So what is your favorite section of the book so far?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:31:56 AM  Show Profile
Reading her books IS like sitting down with a good friend - just what we ALL need every now and then!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:55:09 PM  Show Profile
may first, i'm going to go to town to look for maryjane's sewing book .. if it isn't there .. i'll be ringing them up for a copy! would be fun to 'discuss' this great book together too! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  11:37:40 PM  Show Profile
It sure would, Frannie! Do you have your copy yet?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  4:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
MaryJanes's book is never being put away! I have been using it so much with my explorations in sewing. I love all the examples of stitches that she provides. I don't think I would have had the courage to sew Nora diapers and do cloth diapering if it wasn't for MaryJane's book.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  11:22:20 PM  Show Profile
Mine are out handy all the time too..I love these books!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Mary Jane's Farmgirl Book .. DISCUSSION Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page