Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 A Yummy Experiment in Frugality
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Yummy Experiment in Frugality Next Topic  

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:55:44 PM  Show Profile
All the posts about frugal living and saving money on groceries put me into action the other night and I wanted to share the results.

The night we decorated our tree I made chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches so we could picnic in the livingroom while decorating. As I was cutting veggies I noticed leftover rice pilaf in the fridge (not enough for two and nothing to go with it anyway) and figured what the heck lets not waste it - so into the soup pot it went.

My daughter frowned - mom cleaning out the fridge always makes her nervous and my sister was less than thrilled because "there's no receipe for it". Receipe for soup I said? - what a city girl:)

Well, the results were fabulous. Better than I would have thought. The spices from the rice blended well with the seasoning in the soup, plus it helped extend the soup to the point I had enough to freeze for lunches later on.

A second life for what's hiding in the fridge. I'll never look at leftovers in the same way again.

Jenn

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Sounds yummy!! I don't tend to use recipes for soup either..and I think that was the perfect way to use leftover rice pilaf...yum!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile
My boys at one time would give me that look when I would be adding things to the soup pot, but it always turned out just wonderful. My oldest had a short apprenticeship in a french pastry shop that we knew the owners, he came home one day and said "Mom do not order the soup - EVER", when I finally got him to stop repeating the same thing over and over he stated that Nick (my son) was to cut off the too mushy spots of the vegies and put it into the soup pot. He tried to talk with the owner about what he was told to do and the owner stated that is the way he has been doing it for twenty years and that is how you make soup. My son lasted only two more days because he just could not get over their food preparation practices. We love the shop dearly but now when we go in Nick is very carefull about telling me what to order. Last night we made a great big pot of creamed tomatoe soup with jasmine rice and homemade herb bread.
Not a recipe in site and no mushy compost ready vegies. Stay warm and well fell today - we have had 3 feet of snow and still coming down.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Yum! I have some rice pilaf and was thinking about soup for the weekend...sounds great!

Grace - your yarns on your Etsy shop are beautiful! I love the "Rose Fairies" yarn from your goat, Sugar. Too pretty!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile
well ever the frugal scrapper and after witnessing the powers of TheBabe's immune broth
http://www.farmatcoventry.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=9&cart=8393 I've become addicted to souperbroth. I have this mornings fishfumet=heads boiling right now....all together now ewwwwwwww In Accordance With The Prophecy

hey Beth makes that ramen noodle frugal land seem tame hohoho...
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  5:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, I have taken to saving those little amounts of veggies left over, that no one will clean up. I put them in a freezer bag, and just keep adding to it. Then when I go to make soup, I get out the frozen leftovers, and throw them in. So easy. I also have thrown rice in leftover chicken and dumpling soup, when all the dumplings are gone. Yummy. You do what you have to. My grandma used to have a mustgo night. I never could figure out the meaning of it, when she talked about what was for supper. Finally it dawned on me MUST GO!! Okay, sometimes I am slow!! :)
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Windy,

Your Grandma's "must go" is priceless. My mom did the same thing in summer with a big salad made with all kinds of leftovers. It was perfect for a hot evening.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  9:23:29 PM  Show Profile
After reading Michele's post, I just remembered a soup that my mom made a vegetable soup that she could never get us to eat. No way was I going to put leftover bits and pieces in my tummy! Well, the next batch of soup was delicious..kind of a beef noodle with a delicious broth. Her secret....the leftover veggies and broth were run through blender so as not to be recognizable by finicky children. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Sandy in Missouri

I'm at that age where I need my own warning label!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Yummy Experiment in Frugality Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page