OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
I don't know to much about cooking the goose as my mom always did that - but I think recently she said something to the effect that it should be cooked slowly and don't use a really hot oven. Sorry, that's all I recall her saying about it.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  6:22:04 PM  Show Profile
We vetoed the goose idea tonight, didn't really want to cook one, it was just a proposal..... Paul doesn't like shooting geese. They mate for life. That's definitely bah humbug if you ask me! jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile
We raised two geese one year with the plan to have goose dinner for Christmas and "chickened" out. We gave one away (both males it turned out or I would have LOTS of geese by now I bet!) and kept the other one until he got so darn mean I was afraid a little kid would get hurt. We gave him to a farm..where he lives as a watch goose. I had so many bruises from him biting through the fence. He chased the sheep around even!! But I would still get a pet goose again.
FYI...I HAVE cooked a goose before...the secret is: use a rack under the goose, don't stuff it!! (too greasy) roast with an apple and an onion (both quartered) inside, and well seasoned with salt and pepper..no need to baste. The ones I have cooked were NOT from our place.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:36:59 PM  Show Profile
Is the skin on or off? I roasted one earlier this year that was just yummy. A nieghbor had been hunting and he brought me one. :) It was too cold to pluck it outside, so I tied it by its feet to a kitchen drawer handle and skinned it.

Once washed and cleaned I tossed it into a roasting pot with lots of herbs, thyme, rosemary, garlic etc.. with a little frozen homemade chicken stock in the bottom and put it to the oven for oh ? 3 hours? on something like 400º? I should have kept better notes, sorry. But it was really easy and soooo good. Don't let it intimidate you!

Babs :)

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:42:19 PM  Show Profile
I have cooked a goose before ... I did it as Aunt Jenny suggests, on a rack. I stuffed it with apple and onion too, as a bread dressing would have dripped with grease.
It was extremely good, but way too greasy for my palate. Doubt that I'd ever roast another.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Mine had the skin on. Hmmm I wonder if it would be less greasy without??? that is a thought. Don't know if I will ever get the chance to cook one again...but I would try it that way if I do.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:56:49 PM  Show Profile
MY husband just got a goose ( as a gift!) and cooked it this past weekend. He seasoned it with rose pepper and stuffed it with apples, prunes, onions and carrots, rosemary sprigs and thyme. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and add water to the bottom of the pan about an inch. The water helps to control the smoking and burning as the fats drip down. Roast on a low temp (325-350) until the right time and temp for the weight of your goose.
Stuffing is best made seperately since goose is very fatty and anything stuffed inside of it is for flavoring only. It turned out really well and we all enjoyed it which was a HUGE surprise!

He made it once before with an orange madeira "stuffing" and that was good too although he almost burnt the house down as he forgot the water in the pan and the fat started to burn and smoke! We still tease him about the year we had "smoked" goose!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  07:51:06 AM  Show Profile
I like stuffing it with quartered apples and sage branches, and brushing through the cooking with a mix of butter and Calvados, a nice apple type of brandy made in France. And you're right about the grease.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I just saw this thread and can't believe that no one has said this before now! I guess you guys have more discretion than I do?
Leave it to me then......
"My goose is already cooked."

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  3:28:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you don't have discretion Rebekah. It's always worth a laugh when someone says what SHOULD be said. :)

When I cook a goose, I score the skin with a knife (all the way to the meat) and then rub salt and seasonings all over it. The fat drains out very well that way. I will never forget the first time I went to the butcher and asked him for a goose. He said he would have to come around from behind the counter to do that! I was only about 21 years old at the time and almost died of embarrassment!! Funny now though! Enjoy the holiday!! XXOO Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cooking a goose ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page