New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Knits Next Topic  

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, Ive been a lurker around here and I love everything about this sight! Anyway Ive been so inspired by everything Ive read here. What I want to begin to learn is knitting.Any one know of any goods kits to start me on my way? Thanks!

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  12:38:16 PM  Show Profile
There are learn-to-knit kits at Michael's craft stores and probably Jo-Ann's too. Just pick up some size 8 straight needles (middle of the road size), some Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn and a simple booklet if you don't find a kit.

Also, www.knittinghelp.com is a FANTASTIC site with great illustrations and videos for learning everything about knitting - from casting on at the very beginning to learning to do cables later on. My favorite book with awesome illustrations is "Stitch 'n B*tch" by Debbie Stoller. A great reference for all techniques too.

Learning to knit is very easy, you just need to practice in order to get your fingers to move smoothly with it. Remember what it was like learning to write cursive in grade school? That's what this is like for a little while, but it's SO worth it! (And while you're on the "learn to knit kick," check out my blog for a great charity knitting idea!

Good luck, mima! And keep us posted on your progress!!

Catherine (obsessed with all things knitting)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  1:30:03 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Catherine - I learned to knit from the S-n-B book, it can be irreverent but that's great when you're trying something new/intimidating. For magazines, try Knit Simple or Knit 1, both are good for beginners, have glossaries & diagrams, and come out quarterly. Knit 1 is geared more toward teens/twentsomething hipsters, while Knit Simple has more classic or conservative patterns.

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  2:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, mima!! Try to start with a small project, like dishcloths. They work up very quickly, they are simple to do and success is just a couple of hours away! That's how I started and they are still my favorite things to knit. Plus, they make great gifts. Good luck and happy knitting!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  2:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I taught myself from a book too, about six years ago. The first thing I did was a scarf for my daughter.She was three, so it didn't matter if it looked right. :) I remember sitting in front of the tv in the wee hours of the morning until I got it- I finally did. The book I used was Knitting for Dummies. It has the basics in each chapter, and then a project to work what you learned. Another good series is the one by Sally Melville- "The Knit Stitch" and "The Purl Stitch." Each book has projects ranging from basic to advanced using just either the knit or the purl.

I'd get a good book before I'd get a kit. You can use a good book over and over (I use my basic ones over and over to "remember" things.)

I think the thing that I found most helpful was remembering that there are only two stitches in knitting- knit and purl. After you learned those two stitches, it's all a matter of what you do with them. :)

Good luck!
Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  02:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your suggestions! Im going to get a couple of the books you mentioned. Especially those with a little humor in them!My new years resolution is to learn something new! Thank you again for responding!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  06:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Ok--I'm a brand new knitter myself--and I purchased stitch and B**** and love it, but still have difficulty learning from books. I'm left-handed and I have to "see" it and have someone help my fingers before I can make it work....it's a muscle memory thing for me.

I contacted my local knitting store and did a one time classe for 2 hours, $16.00. It started me on my way, and I've been going like crazy ever since.

My mother in law also knits, she's big on felting purses, but she said her Michaels store offers knitting classes for $7.00 and is very helpful in boning up on skills.

Just some thoughts from a new knitter.
J

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  5:08:17 PM  Show Profile
I think you will love to knit. I taught myself to knit from a book too.
I also crochet. My deceased Grandmother taught me.
Knitting is so much fun and very addictive. You will learn quick.
I found it easy to learn on bigger needles and worsted yarn.
Like a size 10 or 9 would be better. Good luck.
Also Michales and JoAnn's has videos where you can buy. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  11:15:32 AM  Show Profile
just a thought ... the aluminum needles can be a bit slippery for new knitters. Stiches can more easily come off the needle before they are supposed to! You might want to consider bamboo needles - pricey, but if it makes the learning process easier, worth the investment.

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I love the bamboo needles. I have been replacing my old news for these new ones. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  09:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Mima

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. If you would like I will send you a copy of a DVD that is great for the person just starting in knitting. I have a lending library in my shop and I will gladly make you a copy since you are not close to me. If you would like that just email me privately with your information and I will send it out to you. Welcome to the group.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  06:16:45 AM  Show Profile
i got bitten by the knitting bug ! THis summer i bought myself "the big ball in a box" at Hancocks. At pastors open house i was talking to 1 of the perishoners and she had been setting in adult sunday school knitting that morning. She walked me throu casting on and knitting. So Since Tuesday i have knit 2 dish cloths and started on a scarf. I feel so excited.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  09:29:13 AM  Show Profile
I think dishcloths are the perfect first project...useful, quick and easy and they don't have to be perfect to be functional. There are so many pretty colors in the cotton Sugar and Cream yarn to use too, and it is inexpensive and easy to find!!
You are going to love knitting. I agree about the Stitch n B*ch book too..love it. I learned to knit when I was 7 from an aunt, but took a long break and sort to broke out the books as a refresher about 10 years ago...knitting is so theraputic!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  10:09:47 AM  Show Profile
I've just finally gotten basic knitting down over the last year. I was a little frustrated in the very beginning and it didn't feel very relaxing. I just kept at it and did LOTS of scarves(everybody got scarves for christmas this year-haha. Once I was comfortable with that, I had mom show me dish cloths and now I feel very ready to move onto something more involved. My mom showed me the basics and I took a two hour class last winter. I still struggle a little with purling, but I'm practicing. I also found some good insctruction just by googling knitting instructions. i found a sight that has great pictures. I'm a very visual person when I learn. I have really come to love it and have some sort of knitting in my hands every evening. It's very relaxing. I started with metal kneedles and just a couple of days ago swithched to bamboo. I love the bamboo!! I have fibromyalgia and my hands and shoulders would get achey with the metal needles. Anyway, I'm rambling now. Hope you find what you need and have fun!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  10:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Here's a link to a knitting kit that I just came across on Etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5136800

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who has replyed! I got the stich and B... book! cant wait to get started!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Knits Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page