CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile
i just submitted my SPRING article for Mercantile Gatherings (Winter will be out sometime in January or February i think .. that one went in a couple weeks ago). but i got to thinking of the 'colors' we tend to generate towards when it comes to 'decorating' our homes .. and wrote my article about my favorites .. especially as they relate to PRIMITIVE DECORATING.

what your your favorite colors to surround yourselves with in your homes .. and why are these your favs?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Cozy greens and earthy browns. For some reason, those are the colors that make me feel the most at peace. I am always drawn to shades of brown when I look at fabrics, pottery, china, etc. It is a color that mixes with others well, thank goodness! Kinda wierd, but then, that's me! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:50:52 PM  Show Profile
karin .. brown really isn't weird. actually, it is about 'brown' that i write in my mercantile gathering article .. brown being the most popular shade with primitive loving gurlfrenz in their decorating. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:56:06 PM  Show Profile
I love brown, too. In the 70's, when all there was were brown, orange, yellow, and some funky green, I didn't like it. But now I see brown, and use it with, pink, periwinkle, burgundy, dark blue, country blue, mauve...brown is a very versatile color. These colors seem homey, earthy (like you said), peaceful. I like my home to have color, but when I get too many, or too much bright, I feel more stressed. But, that's just me!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  5:47:55 PM  Show Profile
I only have one room that's very primitive (the rest have antiques but are dressier rooms). In the family room I have some rough sawn lumber from the old barn addition-- wide planks some eighteen inches across. Of course this is the natural wood color. Wainscoting is oak, and the doors are solid old maple. There's brick in the fireplace, and the furniture is nubuck leather with brass knobby things (I can't remember what those peg things are called!). Tables are black and rough wood, and I have the mantle decorated now with greens, baby's breath, and tiny rusty toys; and a garland of bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, dried pomegranites, dried artichokes, and a mustard colored star. I've used hunter and brick red/burgundy as accent colors, and the carpet is ivory. It's a comfy room.

I change out my pillows (horsey prints in dark colors) and put in ivory ones for spring. I add some silly bird houses in ivory, hunter, and mustard. I use some yellow silk flowers that look very much like summer daisies that grow around here in a wire basket. I stick out little bird nests with eggs, too.

Why are they my faves? Because I can bring the outdoors in and not upset my color scheme much. My windows are open almost all summer; I can hear the beautiful bell like wind chimes, and listen to baseball games while I bring laundry in from the line and fold it.

You sure are making me look forward to spring!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:02:59 PM  Show Profile
I tend to gravitate towards soft spring time/summery colors. Although I do like a mix of burgundy and light beige in my living room/dining areas.
Most of my colors are sunny yellows, pale yellows, light greens.
Then of course I mix and match with lots of other styles.
I'm constantly changing things it seems.
But tend to gravitate towards the warmer pastels.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:23:55 PM  Show Profile
My living room is Browns and Reds. We have a brown brushed leather couch and recliner and a red recliner. My "accessories" are mostly reds and browns although I am NOT much of a Nick-nack kind of person. Our bedroom is green and brown and our bathroom has a green floor mat and the shower curtain is White with green leaves sewn on. I like natural colors which is why I have chosen all of these. My kitchen doesn't really have a color. My cabinets are a very subtle sage type color but I decorate with antique tools and kitchen utensils so I gues the color is mostly RUST!!! LOL! I add brighter color in the spring and summer by bringing in some fresh cut flowers.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Is rusty a color? I love Mustard, Red, Blue and Black. I like dark deep colors and old grungy wood. Things that are worn & faded usually catch my eye. I think the sense of things that are well loved and well used is what attracts me to the primitive look & colors.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  07:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Well if Rusty isn't a color I now deem it to be one!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  09:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Rusty for me, too! Along with barn red, mustard, blue, black and brown... and lots of wood. My fabric stash is very heavy on the tea stain through browns. Goes with all the other "old" colors. Look forward to your article, Frannie!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I go along with the browns and greens. Those are the paint chip colors I have at home right now. I have a whole house to decorate now. I stopped in a field last fall and picked a stalk of soybean, I love that golden color. I also took a piece of corn stalk and a purple aster. I've got those at home to match up paint with.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Moss greens and neutrals throughout the living room, dining room, and kitchen. I painted the bedroom in a lovely twilight lavender, bedding is periwinkle/white, it's very cool and relaxing.

I went braver in my home office - been trying to refer to it as my "atelier" since I do 90% crafty things in it and only 10% paperwork - and did the walls a deep portobello-mushroom browny taupe. The window treatments, moulding, and flooring are white. Furnishings are a neutral linen with cranberry accents & cherry bookcases. It turned out much prettier than I had expected, the white and red just pop out. Looking at the paint in the can, I nearly got cold feet thinking it would be too dark and muddy, but with all the windows it worked beautifully.

Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile
In my last two houses I have painted the walls a color called Spiced Applesauce by Behr. I love Fall colors. It is weird how you change. When I was first married, I liked the colors of spring and summer best. Now I have drifed over to Browns and Reds. Does that mean that I am in the Autumn of my life already at the age of 33?
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I certainly hope not, Lindy. That would mean I'm in winter, at 41!!LOL It is true though how our taste in color change..mine have also. The deep rich colors of fall have always caught my attention though. I still brigten up things with splashes of bright yellows and orange. I think Mary Ann said it best...so that you can bring the outdoors in with out upsetting the balance. Very nice thread by the way.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile
I look around and see deep colors in red, gold, sage and some browns too. When I was younger I went for the blues, greens and reds of old milkpaint colors, but I seem to have changed my taste a bit.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Sounds boring, but I'm a neutral girl and I live in a cottage, so the space is small and I need to keep it light. I love color, but only as an accent, and get bored easily of things that are "out of the ordinary". My living room is a very creamy, deeper, vanilla color of which I never tire, and the floor is hardwood, but painted and roughed up, ecru and taupe in large checkerboard pattern. The accents and furniture are all colors you would find in nature, I guess--mossy greens, saddle browns, cinnamons, pumpkins, and different kilim fabrics for accent, which incorporate all those colors nicely, with dark woods (I inherited period mission furniture, and it's aged really dark). It makes sense for me--I have wooden bowls filled with gazillions of fossils that I find, and bird nests and feathers under glass domes, so the color mimics my interests, I suppose.
We are working on our two backrooms-the study is painted Pineapple Sage, which is a deep yellowy green, almost loden, and the bedroom is painted "Mourning Dove" which is exactly the color of a dove--it has a green base, though, and changes color with the time of day. It's very peaceful. All of my woodwork and wainscotting is painted high gloss Macaroon which is a fancy way of saying white, but not "optic" white. My kitchen is a color called "Scone" and it reminds me of coffee with heavy cream.

I have all of the house together, except the dining room! Can NOT decide on any kindof color, or style--more inherited mission furniture in there, so it will be dark.

Any suggestions?

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi!
This is a wonderful topic, thank you for introducing it. Jonni what brand are the Pineapple Sage, Mourning Dove and Scone?
What I like and what I have are not totally the same, I actually like whites very much, by that I mean the entire range and cool and warm, and then accented with dark lush colors, or sort of offbeat colors. I like these colors because, I feel calmed by them, and I can more easily see shadows of tree branches etc. against the white. And, well I just like them!
Our home is a work in progress, so it is nice that paint is pretty easy to change and makes a huge fresh difference. The living room colors are sage,cream and sortof a soft green grey, which I like.
Anyway, I think colors that people like really are a way of getting to know them a bit.
Take Care,
peapodjane

Edited by - peapodjane on Dec 18 2006 11:29:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:29:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow! How much our color tastes are in common.
Mine our tan/brown/most any shades of warm greens/deep blues and maroons. I call it woodsy.

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile
It's funny how much we all have in common--Go for the whites, Peapodjane!!! I'm always so envious when I see those lovely homes decked out in whites in Country Living--they always say they have kids and dogs, but I'm not so sure :) I've always loved the look, but with four giant dogs, I'm just not that brave!!

The Scone color is Martha Stewart, and the Pineapple Sage and Mourning Dove are American Traditions at Lowes. They weren't in any special collection, just on those little cards with the multiple colors. If you can't find the card, you can still request the color--they have the formula in the computer system. We've purchased cans for touch up here and there.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  3:28:39 PM  Show Profile
HI ALL, can anyone give me some names of paint brands that have old time prim colors? i have tried Village brand .( did not look like the color on chart at all.) i would like a mustard or something like that . Its for a big floor to celling cuboard. thanks randi
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  3:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Randi, would you consider the "Real Milk Paint" Co? There's a website, and it's less expensive than "Old Fashioned Milk Paint". We used it (OK...My DH did all the work) on lots of built in cupboards and drawers, and liked it a lot. You can order a set of painted chips, and I highly recommend using them instead of the website color chart. Phil made samples for me with no sealer, linseed oil, and oil based varnish--changes the color quite a bit.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  5:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information Jonni! My home does have dogs and cats, I would love to have the whites, but may have to go for them in a few rooms, thank you for the encouragement!
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  8:23:22 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe how often the same colors keep coming up as favorites! It must be a farmgirl thing! I too like greens (kinda olive) and reds. Years ago I liked country blues and mauves.......who didn't? I think I wore myself out on them, as I'm not crazy about them anymore. Go figure!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  08:43:58 AM  Show Profile
My living room is "dead seaweed" green - sounds bad but looks nice, kinda a mossy green with yellow undertones. The trim is "pale straw" which is a nice pale yellow. Our front hall and up the stairs, the walls are painted the pale straw and the treads on our stairs are the seaweed green with ice cream white as the trim. Our adjacent dining room is sand stone city- kinda a dark tan with the ice cream trim. Our bedroom is pale green apple, with a yellow trim. In there I have wedge wood blue and lavender accents. I also use deep red, black and a warm brown as accents in our living room. Today I am getting back my couch, I just had it recovered in these accents - can't wait to see it.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile
These are the colors I would like to have in my new kitchen - the chocolate browns, barn/brick reds, mustard/goldenrod, mossy green - all those colors that show up in the rooster prints... My current kitchen has not been updated since the 70s, except for the wall paint. The floor is a brick red faux tile (vinyl), appliances dark brown, the counters a honey gold/brown and the walls and cabinets a pale, icy blue. The blue would be very pretty in a bedroom and was added later. Not sure what the original color was (prob white) but the change to blue was for a specific purpose - something to do with it's appetite suppressant tendencies maybe.

Anyhow, once we build the new house, we'll have to see what the lighting is and then decide. If there is not enough natural light in the kitchen, we'll have to use more white/yellow than reds and browns. But I think that in a house with wood heat, the warmer colors at least help make you think you are warmer.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I am the strange one here! I love funky retro greens, blues, and yellows mixed in with my antique farm impliments and quilts. I call my decorating style farmhouse funk. It's a comglamorate of found and repurposed objects (the more wear the better), worn furnature, and retro colors. I use the bright colors that I do because they just make me feel happy, like it is always spring time. Since I spend a vast majority of my time at home, I love the fun and energy they give to my surroundings. Hubby humors my decorating choices, but his library is painted in two shades of brown...buskskin and beaver tail (even the names suit him).

Strange as it sounds after reading my decorating colors, my wardrobe staple is chocolate. Chocolate is beautiful with sunset colors and those seem to be the best for my complection.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic favorite 'decorating' colors Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page