Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  2:38:31 PM  Show Profile
While I would love to have a warmer kitchen color theme, our current colors in the rest of the house are those retro greens, golds and oranges you mention, BarefootGoatGirl. And for me, chocolate brown is just wonderful with cherry cream pink right now!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  4:18:08 PM  Show Profile
The previous owner of our townhouse chose a color she liked - a neutral somewhere between cream and light tan - and painted everything that color. Everything! Walls, ceilings, woodwork, crown moulding, shutters on the windows....EVERYTHING! While it made for a nice neutral background, and worked well with the oak hardwood floors, I definately needed something else.

We had faux stacked stone installed on the fireplace - looks absolutely wonderful! On the walls on either side of the fireplace is wallpaper in a muted red - not quite rusty, but not barn red, either - with a little gold accent here and there. Added some area rugs under the dining table and in front of the fireplace (this room does double duty) which pulled together the colors from the existing upholstered furniture and the wallpaper. The family antiques are primarily in darker woods, so now the room has a very cozy, almost English library look to it. It is especially comfortable when it is cold outside, and we have a fire crackling to keep our toes warm.

In the warmer months, I change out the rugs for lighter colors and add different pillows. I'm a weaver, so I craft different table runners to coincide with the seasons and holidays. The only difficulty with living in "limited" spaces is that if I find something wonderful at an antique store, there is no room to bring it home. If something comes in, something must go out and DH stays very busy to make sure it isn't him! ;-) It's common knowledge that if you stay in one place too long around here, you might get rearranged!

Sandy in Missouri

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  5:58:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow! We really are kindred spirits! So many like the same colors. I love brown, earthy reds, earthy greens, mustards, etc. I am kind of a mix of Primitive/colonial and English Country. My husband says I am a "mutt" but I prefer the word "eclectic"!

Jonni,
I think Cottage is very sweet and your home sounds lovely. I do think dining rooms are the rooms you can be the most dramatic in, so perhaps you might want to do the walls in a cinnamon or pumpkin, this way it flows with the rest of the house but has a bit more "punch". You can still incorporate your white painted furniture to soften the look, so it doesn't overwhelm your desire for softer decorating. Best of luck!!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  8:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Count me in on those colors!! I love earthy browns, greens (my favorite color!) and rusty reds. I love oatmeal, mocha and mustard colors too. My house has SOOOOO much painting needed and all my paint chips are those colors. My "theme" if there is one is woodsy, old and baskets and quilts I think. My kitchen is more 1940's happy bright and John Deere. I have my whole house pictured more primitive like the living room is now. (it needs painting too, but is the closest to my vision I think!)
I love that we all have such similar color taste!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:45:12 PM  Show Profile
This is so much fun to "see" everyone's color choices and learn a bit more about your homes - my farmhouse is old, old, old... right now, the colors range from a periwinkle blue in the mudroom with "tortilla-colored" beadboard and trim to a light green - a nice beachy-glass green - in the bathroom, with white trim, then the rest of the downstairs walls are the same color as the mudroom trim, with white woodwork. The stairs are painted that same tortilla, too. Then upstairs is the most wonderful warm apricot color with white trim - it positively glows in the morning sunlight. I love my house. When I repaint in a year or so, I'm considering doing it all one color with white trim. It seems like touch-ups would be so easy! And with boys and farm animals? Some of this poor old house takes a real beating, even though they "try" to be careful. My farmhouse style is really utilitarian because I love a clean house but I don't like to dust - so plain is my thing - I might just repaint the whole darn thing in that beautiful apricot with white trim and paint the outside periwinkle with white trim. My husband would faint... Oh well - he would also get up again!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  06:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Abbasgurl I'm similar. I adore red though the nice primitive red there's a ralph lauren bedding set called cold springs that I love and has gingham sheets! I shopped around on ebay and got them. I love it with my cherry wood bedroom set. I love browns as well. They are warm I like more auburny browns and the hearty browns. Not the dark ok it had to come out "poop" browns. I love white and white paired with navy blue. Navy is so pretty. Greens are outstanding and rarely one I dislike. I still have a bit of "young" or "girly" in me where I'd love to have a room in like pink and brown or black and brown like in those overpriced girly lingerie stores think better than victorias secret. I also keep dreaming of a pretty pink christmas tree or white with pink ornaments. SILLY ME!

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  07:05:16 AM  Show Profile

oh bridget .. those lauren sheets sound devine .. are they and olde pattern .. or can they still be purchased new?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  3:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ann, did you use the powder or the ready made stuff? also is it washable? thanks so much randi
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh Frannie the pattern is new as of 2006:) I want to buy some "cheap" material or pillow cases or sheets and make things out of it. I'm a sucker for gingham:) but the comforter is a rusty kinda/ colonial red with white/cream flowers on it.

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Red white and blue. And cabin, primative, antiques and old farmhouse "looks"

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Had to post my new recovered couch. Our love seat is now at the shop being recovered also, but completely in the paisley that is shown on the couch cushions with the piping in the brown.

The first photo is how our couch looked before. I loved the material, but it didn't hold up well and split after about 7 years. Sometimes a deal on material is really not a deal.

So I went with a heavier material this time, still got a good deal from the store - 40% off.

I will get the love seat sometime around the end of January/first of February.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic favorite 'decorating' colors Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page