Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread" Next Topic
Page: of 3

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  06:23:26 AM  Show Profile
*Yesssss!!!*

That sure makes life easier! And cheaper, too! Thanks, Rebekah!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  06:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Mary Ann! Give us the report when you bake it. Which recipe are you planning to use, the salt or the sugar and shortening? Either way, have the butter softened and ready to go when the loaf comes out of the oven.
(PS I am so funny with this camera now that I have figured out how to post a picture. My husband walked in this morning just when I was taking that pic of my pan and said, "What in the world are you taking a picture of THAT old pan for?!") You just don't ever know what I might photograph next!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile
I have one of the big Pampered Chef stoneware bakers - not sure of the exact name. That's what I used but it got a little hard on the bottom. I think it's because I had too much flour and need to brush some off before I put it in the baker the next time. Other than that it came out beautifully.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  6:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow,
The loaf turn out wonderful!
I'm licking the butter off my chin as I type

I will be baking this again tomorrow for a gift!
Thanks,
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I have a few bottles of various types of olive oil with herbs that I plan to have standing by! I intend to do the one with no fat first, more like a real French bread.

And I understand the strange photos. I have several views of horses' butts and spines. I was trying to illustrate symmetry versus asymmetry, and how structure influences quality of movement at different gaits. But they're just horses' butts to anyone else.

Thankyou again so much! I'll report back as soon as I've got it done!
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  2:52:47 PM  Show Profile
Well,
The NO KNEAD BREAD was a hit here and at work!
I'll be passing on the recipe...alot!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies
I will try this bread this weekend if the snow lets up. We have had 3 feet and still coming down with drifts up to 9 feet, and all roads shut down. Yesturday I thought I would bake and tried a new honey raisin bread recipe. Got it out of the oven and let it cool, turned it out and just then I heard a big noise on the front poarch. I ran to see what it was (Huge chuck of snow/ice) came off the roof and in that split second my oldest pry Kasha who was in the house because of the blizzard ate the whole loaf. As I came around the corner and screamed, she smiled as if to tell me "Mom this is a keeper recipe". With her smile from ear to ear, I just could not get to made because I had just stated to her while baking that I needed her to put on more weight - I guess we should all watch our words. So I will get back in the kitchen maybe tomorrow and start up the bread making again. I did finish an herb bread that we had with dinner that was so good that at midnight I helped myself to another slice after checking on all the animals. Stay warm and keep baking.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Grace! I was just wondering how our Colorado girls were fairing in this big storm! Sounds like you are okay and still have power, just no bread! I am smiling about Kasha, we knew a goat named Thelma who used to let herself into the house and watch tv! They are rascally creatures! Must be amusing having her in with you! Stay safe and hide that bread next time!

Rebekah- THANK YOU for posting this topic and Katie for finding the recipe! I just love it! When you are a carpool" Mom Taxi" timed bread can be a pain! We had this last night with a big pot of 7 bean soup before heading out to a concert and it was wonderful. Not a crumb left I am pleased ( and sorry...) to say! Thanks so much, I will be making it again when we have open house next week.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  12:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you guys are enjoying this bread. KarenP, your loaf is beautiful! Mary Ann, now THAT's funny! Can't wait to tell my husband about your photos when he gives me a hard time again about mine. Grace, report back on the bread and the snow! Oh, how I LOVE bread and snow both! Bramble, yep...I think that's who this recipe is made for "Mom Taxi." This bread is impressive...as is every single "Mom Taxi" out there!
Now, here's a questions for those who have tried this....do you think whole wheat flour would work in this recipe?

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  06:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Two more loaves rising to bake today to take to relatives.
I think I'm hooked!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  07:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Karen, Me too! I've got a regular white flour loaf rising and am also trying whole wheat this go 'round. I'll let y'all know how the whole wheat turns out. Merry Christmas!

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  08:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah- I have 3 loaves sitting in bowls rising as we speak! I thought it would be a nice treat to deliver on Christmas Day! I love this simple recipe-Sure fits into my busy holiday schedule!! Thanks for posting this-

Karin
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile
I just had to report on my whole wheat flour experiment with this recipe. It was excellent! I did everything the same, just used whole wheat instead of white and used oatmeal for the topping. Yum! The texture was, of course, heartier, but it was delicious. I'll probably do the whole wheat version frequently because whole wheat flour is supposed to be so much healthier than the white. I didn't take a picture, but it was a pretty loaf.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2006 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah! Whole wheat sounds soooooo good.
Did your loaf rise as well?
I have half a loaf of white left so maybe later this week I'll give whole wheat a try.
Thanks!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  08:18:44 AM  Show Profile
Karen, Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Yes, the whole wheat rose very well. It was a little bit smaller than the white, but fluffy and light and delicious. Now I wish I had taken a picture of the two together. Oh well. Now, I did let it rise the second rising longer than usual just because Christmas was so busy I didn't get around to baking it when I had planned. But, I recommend the whole wheat highly. Very, very good.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  09:35:37 AM  Show Profile
I have finally had time to sit down and report back. We have had no propane for the past three days and it took two days for a plow to try and dig us out to have the truck come to fill our tank. I made the bread and did not make any adjustments for our altitude. Looking at the pictures of other farmgirls bread I think mine turned out. I was surprise that it was not taller but it sure tasted great. My oldest son took it up iceclimbing today and requested me to make another loaf when he gets back. I did make a loaf of my regular whole wheat in the bread machine and and my pry puppies enjoyed that to ring in the New Year. I will try maybe some different ways with this bread to see what else is tasty. Stay warm and safe and HAPPY NEW YEAR - we have heat.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:29:37 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! I finally got the job done and made the bread! I had to fight the urge (*Must. Knead.*) but I got it done. I let it rise in my oven overnight with just the oven light for warmth, and it worked great for the first rise. And I used a floursack towel and a basket I have with little round ribs like is used for artisan breads for the second, and then flipped it in my small spatterware roasting pan like Rebekah suggested--- And the loaf is BEE-YOO-TIFUL!!! Perfectly formed, nice gradual dome, flawlessly browned and gorgeous!!! It's so pretty I don't care if it tastes like a hamburger bun, that was sure satisfying to make!

I'm making a tomato based fish stew tonight. Yeah it sounds gross but I've made it many times before and it's so delicous we'll need the bread to clean the bowls! I'm doing a little dance around the dining room; thanks, Rebekah!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  04:39:09 AM  Show Profile
I just posted on my blog (haven't gotten used to having such a thing yet...the blog, I mean) a picture and the recipe for my version of Whole Wheat No Knead Bread. Yummy! Visit me there for the scoop. Easy and delicious!

James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Ok. Now I have to try the whole wheat version. YUM!! We ate all three loaves that I made at Christmas in record time. I am giving the recipe to my oldest son who just moved into his own place. This is something I am sure he can do. I guess it means getting him a nice pot to cook it in! I'm heading over this weekend to help him paint. I think I'll bring a loaf with me. Thanks Rebekah!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Okay, now to try the WW version. But I really liked it with the artisan flour; the holes were big and even and perfect for holding up lots of herbed olive oil!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile
I made the whole wheat version yesterday. It came out great. I am having a difficult time trying to get the 18 hours of rising and the additional two down to exactly the right time for dinner (I have no idea why this is happening to me!!:)so it always seems to be done after dinner. We eat it at night then and we have it sliced for toast the next morning. That is good too.

Do you have to grease the pot before cooking the bread? I have been but was wondering if I needed to. I love the bread.

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  10:05:15 AM  Show Profile
I made a Oat No-Knead as per my mom's request
I added 1/2 cup of oat flour and the rest all-purpose and bread flour.
I have been trying to think about a different pan to get a little more height to the loaf. I think I'm on to something...

I just sliced it for her as she's recovering from cataract surgery.
But it sure made a pretty loaf.
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  3:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, I haven't encountered any need to grease the pot. It's okay to let that first rising go longer than the 18 hours, if that helps with your timing. I have also let the second rising go longer than the 2 hours. The only problem there was that the towel had some of the dough on it. KarenP! That's a beautiful loaf! Did you finally taste it? The oat sounds so hearty and delcious. What pan did you use to get more height?

James Taylor

www.ragstoroses.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  5:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,
The pan I used was 7" in diameter and about 4-1/2" high, a pretty little blue speckled enamelware pot with lid.(you can see it in the picture)
I didn't get a chance to try it, as I made it for my mom. She said it was great, I did notice a finer texture to the bread than regular ol' unbleached white flour when I sliced it for her. She said it was a stout bread.
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  3:23:25 PM  Show Profile
I am still looking for the PLAIN no knead bread....everything I see here has cheese or herbs or something in it....Just plain bread for me please..

Newheart

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page