Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread" Next Topic
Page: of 3

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  1:08:07 PM  Show Profile
I had heard all the rage about the "No Knead Bread." I ignored it as the lastest foodie craze. But, then, my friend, who by the way, is definitely NOT the Betty Crocker type, tried it and gave me rave reviews. She sent me the recipe. And, I did it. OH MY GOODNESS IS THIS BREAD WONDERFUL! It is every bit as good as bakery bread and super, super simple. No previous bread-making experience required. No kneading at all. Patience is all it requires. If I knew how to link in the recipe, I'd do it here, but alas, I am THE computer goober of the century. Versions of this bread is all over the internet, though. The recipe I used is the one with 3 cups of flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 1/4 salt, and wheat bran. Let me know if you can't find the recipe. I could type it in here, but the directions are pretty long. Or, if a non-computer goober can link it here, would you....please? Pretty please? Y'all will love this bread. I promise. You gotta try it! You won't believe it.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Is this the one? Sounds so yummy! http://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the_wednesday_chef/2006/11/jim_laheys_nokn.html
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  7:20:38 PM  Show Profile
This sounds great! I'll have to give it a try. But I must say that I throughly enjoy kneading bread.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  1:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Yep, that's it, Katie-ell! Thanks for linking it. I've got a batch about to go in the oven right now. Kay, I love home-made bread too, even the kneading part. (Although I do rely on my bread machine a bunch.) But, this bread is different. It's more like bakery bread. Give it a try. I can't get bread like this close to home because I don't have an good bakery in the area. But, this is fantastic.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  07:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow sounds good.
I'll give it a try, if I like it as much as you do. I'll make some for gifts!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I printed out the recipe and will try it for tonight dinner. One quick question will there be a need to make changes for high altitude? I was not sure where this recipe came from (state wise) so I hate to have a brick for dinner.
Thanks

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  09:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try to paste the photo of my bread last night. Now, I'm no photographer and I'm no computer whiz (opposite on both!). But, it was both beautiful and delicious. My guests actually thought I was lying when I said that I had made it with my 5 year old daughter! Grace, I'll check around the internet and see. It came out of NYC I think. I've been putting it together the afternoon on the day BEFORE I make it. That has worked out wonderfully. And, Karen, I don't know how this would "save." I've never had any left-overs. But, my feeling is that you'd need to get it to the lucky recipients on the same day you bake it.
Here's my try at posting the pic...I tried Gabe's instructional post, but who knows if this worked...let me know.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  09:40:05 AM  Show Profile
The photo is great, and that bread looks perfect! Yummy!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I think the recipe came via the New York Times.

Beautiful loaf of bread! It's on my 'must-do' list this week.
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  11:31:42 AM  Show Profile
It worked! I posted a photo...I posted a photo...Yippee! (Y'all are in trouble now! I'm going to go WILD with this photo-thing!) Grace, I didn't find anything about altering the recipe for higher altitudes. Kate, Let us know how yours turns out.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Congratulations, Rebekah! And I'll agree that it looks wonderful! I'd love to have the recipe, too! Did you bake it in a cake pan?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  12:35:18 PM  Show Profile
OMG -- that looks wonderful. I can just imagine the smell and taste. I'm off to the kitchen to try and make some! YUM!

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, At first I used my black cast iron skillet. But, the crust was really browning more than I wanted. So, I switched to my old enamel pan with a lid. It's a cheap one too, not one of those fancy enamel-coated pans...just an old-timey round enamel pan. Are you able to link to the recipe, Mary Ann? Kay, I hope you do try it! I tell you, the first one I did, we (my husband, my daughter and myself) stood by the counter in the kitchen and took a bite with butter just to taste it right out of the oven. Once we realized how wonderful it was, we pulled up the stools and savored every bite. Didn't need dinner that night! The texture and taste is amazing. It is YUM!

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  1:40:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm gonna have to try this one this week, thanks for posting it and the wonderful photo too! Great job!! Smells wonderful!!!lol

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Yum, Rebekah! That looks delicious!! I will have to make some this week for dinner. My family loves homemade bread- there is nothing better. Thanks for posting this :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah, I found it here: http://www.recipezaar.com/194745. They say this is the same recipe as from the November 8th New York Times. One of the comments on the side said to use a four quart iron dutch oven like one of the Lodge pans. That makes a lot of sense to me, and it's an economical pan. I'll be going to Cracker Barrel soon to get one, and I'll use some artisan flour from www.kingarthurflour.com.

I really look forward to making this bread; thanks for suggesting it, Rebekah!
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile
I just made the plain jane version of no-knead tonight that I found on the net - no wheat anything or oats, etc., just yeast, flour, sugar & shortening.....wow, was it ever great. Browned up so pretty and tasted great! Thanks so much for starting the post Rebekah - I had not even heard of no-knead until I read your post! sandi

Edited by - sandi on Dec 17 2006 3:43:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:50:22 AM  Show Profile
I mixed this up last night and baked this AM. We had it warm from the oven with butter for breakfast -- it is so good. I love how the crust is crunchy with a soft middle. I think this would make great bread for dipping in olive oil and also great with beef stew. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. It's a keeper!

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  1:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,
Ther recipe calls for INSTANT YEAST, what is it the rapid rise type or what kind did you use.
The only thing I saw instant on was brewer's yeast at the store.
Please let me know what you used, yours is beautiful!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Great! I knew you guys would love this bread! Sandi, your recipe must be different from the one I used. Mine was just flour, yeast, and salt. No sugar, no shortening. Where did you get yours? It's amazing how easy the process is, isn't it? Kay, I was planning to try some rosemary in my next batch...yum...imagine that dipped in olive oil? Bread's not fattening, right?!

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  2:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Karen, we must have been typing at the same time. I used just plain "active dry yeast." I did use very warm water when I added it just because that is what I do with other breads. I don't know what "instant yeast" is and didn't see it in the store either. I've had no problems with just my regular active dry yeast. Perfect results every time. Good luck!

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  3:11:54 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah - my recipe came from www.cooksrecipes.com/bread/no-knead_bread_recipe.html It calls for 2 T each of the sugar & shortening so probably not too different from yours. It makes one loaf and I think there may be ONE PIECE left over for tonight's supper - guess hubby and I will flip a coin - ha! good stuff! sandi

Edited by - sandi on Dec 18 2006 3:23:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  3:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah -- my bread is fattening because I have to slather it with butter! The rosemary sounds wonderful. I'll have to try that the next time around.

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rebekah!

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  05:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Question for those of you who have tried this loaf.

I see they recommend a heavy pot. I would have to buy one. I have stock pots for the top of the stove, but for the oven I only have shallow roasting pans or one big lidded one that belonged to my grandmother that I try not to use (made from an aluminum alloy). I also have an old graniteware one with a lid, but it's not heavy.

I kind of hate to waste the kitchen space on a big heavy iron one if I'm only going to use it for a bread pan.

With your experience with the recipe, do you think the graniteware one will do the job, or is it too lightweight?

I'll go get the pan if I have to....
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  06:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Morning, Mary Ann. When I first made this bread, I used my Lodge chicken fryer black cast iron pot. The bread browned too much for me. I switched to what is (hopefully) pictured below. It's an enamel pan. Mine may be "graniteware," I don't know that term. It is thin and lightweight. It gives me beautiful results with this bread. If I were you, I sure wouldn't buy something until I tried what I had first. And, Sandi, I'll check that version out. Bet it has a totally different flavor.

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic You "Knead" to try "No Knead Bread" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page