mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  5:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Alee and I have been talking about our grocery budgets and we thought it might be fun (and save a little $$) if we set goals with our grocery budgets, then posted our menus and what we actually spent for the week. No competition - just challenging yourself to do the best you can. Maybe keep track of how far over or under budget you are at the end of the month and hopefully reward yourself with your savings. There probably shouldn't be a certain day to post as we all shop on different days of the week, but I'll stick my neck out first and say I want to cut my usual $75 a week back to $65 for now. This weekend I'll make out my menus and grocery shop. I should be able to post those by Monday. I think it should be fun and inspirational! Might inspire us to use up some of that stuff we already have!! How about it ladies - post your goals!

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  5:42:40 PM  Show Profile
goal to use what is in the cupboard with adding some fresh produce and meat. I bought a lot of strawberries today, i went 8 dollars over budget. i didnt know how much it weighed when the tray was full but i know for next time about 8 dollars a tray if you dont fill it so its over flowing
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile
I would love to cut back on our grocery budget!! I am currently spending around $125 a week for my family of 4. I have totally changed our diet and my way of cooking over the last 5 months. We are eating more organics and lots of fresh produce. Our garden is starting to produce tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash and cucumbers. We are also growing canteloupe and watermelon for the very first time. I haven't been very good about meal planning or making a list when I shop so that is going to be my first goal in cutting back on the budget!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  9:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My Goal is to only spend $130 for our household meals for the month of July. I will go shopping the first Saturday in July and report back :) Wish me luck!!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like we're getting some really good concrete goals so keep us all informed at how you're doing. Alee - I will be very impressed if you can pull that off!!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile
One of the best ways for me to save money when I grocery shop is to leave my husband at home! He always costs us an extra $30 when he comes "along for the ride".

By the way, does anyone know of a good source for coupons on organic products? I shop at Whole Foods & even though they give out some coupons each week, it's not much.

Thanks,
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Stonyfield and other such places have coupons that they will send you. Just go to your favorite organic brand website.
http://www.stonyfield.com/coupons/signin.cfm

Alee

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:49:21 AM  Show Profile
I would love to work on this grocery challenge! My goal each week is usually $75 for a family of four (and three cats and one dog) but sometimes I have gone as low as $45 when we are low on funds. I would love to try for $60 a week for a month or so!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  12:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I dont even want to tell yall what I spent last month on groceries! you would pass smooth out. Do yall buy meat? Just curious.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We buy meat...do you Susan?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  12:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Yes. I guess lots of it. I feed anywhere from 5 - 10 for supper meals when my husband is home. I was just thinking meat is probably my biggest expense in the grocery dept.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  1:00:56 PM  Show Profile
We have a bit of a challenge in our household. I have a freezer full of heaven-knows-what (ie, I'm not really sure what lurks in the dark recesses) and a pantry similarly loaded. Right now the only thing we're buying is fresh veggies and milk until the stock runs lower.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile
I cannot seem to spend less than $130 per week for 4-6 people since we also eat meat nightly. I have been shopping biweekly and planning menus ahead of time, so I am not wasting money at least. Fruit and veggies are VERY expensive too, but will hopefully go down a little once everything is local and not shipped in. Also, we are all adults in my house (age 20 and over) and my kids bring friends here for home cooking quite a bit. As an aside, I cannot believe how many kids do not have home made food EVER at their houses. So, I enjoy the cooking and sharing with kids who are always asking me, "How do you make this? Can you teach me?" Maybe they will do more things for themselves as they become adults. I am going to try to spend less than $100 per week next time I shop. I think I can do it since I can do some meatless pasta dishes and we all like them.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  2:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Well my dear husband works in Tunisia 28 days and then is home 25 days and meatless meals are not often what he wants when he gets home. He usually gives me a list for the grocery before he starts home...this time a beef tenderloin was at the top of the list...$35 for one piece of meat. Of course him being a gourmet cook, he tends to not really think about the cost of the meal as much as the content. We purchase some pretty unusual ingredients for these parts- sometimes driving 70 miles one way to grocery shop. He cooks a lot of lamb and chops were $12 a pound last time I bought some. We could save money if we used ground meat but that is a rare occasion and when we do, he normally has it freshly ground because he likes a specific cut of meat for ground - something like half round/half chuck or sirloin - I really dont know. We rarely buy fresh vegetables because we keep a garden. But still it is not unusual for us to spend $700-$900 for the month he is home. Granted groceries are very expensive here because there is no competition in a small town but we spend a lot of money out of town for things he likes to cook with.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Susan! I think that it is great that you get to spend that much on groceries! It would be fun to have gormet meals more often. I am going to be looking forward to when we can afford to splurge a little more on our groceries :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  5:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Frankly Alee, that is our splurge in life. Food! But the man LOVES to cook. And he is quite gifted - the kids and I beg him to go on Top Chef or some such show but he really just loves to cook for us. I am a good cook but he is amazing. So its what we do for entertainment!

Susan
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  6:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Dawn try www.mambosprouts.com for organic coupons. They usually have some good links, green Guide also.

I would love to cut back on my grocery bills. I just need to get organized...

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  6:01:01 PM  Show Profile
I think I'll join the challenge! I try not to spend more than 65$CAN a week on groceries. I know I could spend less if I went to the superstore but I really try to support my little IGA in town. This month I'm determined to buy as much local produce as I can from the farmer's market or pick it from the garden. Meat and dairy are always the most expensive - Fella insists on meat with almost every meal, and I adore cheeses, plus I get my milk delivered! My one splurge!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- So I made a big mistake. I took my fiance shopping with me. He "helped" me spend a bit more than I wanted to, be even still, I don't think we did to bad. The big ticket item that we got was a Beef Tenderloin for $25! Ouch!
So here follows what I bought:
Pita Bread
Hamburger Bun
5 Large cans of Tomato Sauce
A gallon of vinegar
Head of Lettuce
Red Bell Pepper
Green Bell Pepper
2 big packs of Tyson Chicken Thighs
2 big packs of Tyson Chicken legs
Half gallon of Whole milk
Small package of frozen peas
Corn Tortillas
Small package of forzen brocolli
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
10 lbs of Flour
Two packages of white gravy
One package of italian dressing mix
Bulk Pizza Dough Mix
Bulk Cheese Ravioli
4 White Onions
Bulk Italian Seasoning
Bulk Blueberry muffin mix
1 Cream Cheese
9lbs of bananas
5# of ground turkey
Tub of Nancy's Vanilla Yogurt
Cucumber
frozen salmon fillet
10# ground beef
tzatziki sauce
refried beans
unsalted butter
sour cream
celary
6 packets of yeast
4 tomatos
cooking oil
bulk chicken base
garlic
cinnamon
4 onions
worchestershire sauce
4 packages lunch meat
4 ears of corn
beef tenderloin *ouch!!*
10# potatos
top round roast (will make 2)
Nufatel cream cheese
tomato paste
green cabbage
ketchup
Dog food
ricotta cheese
coconut milk
refried beans
otter pops

We spent *drum roll please* $180.67!!! Now the challenge is to not have to return to the market for the whole month!!! :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh...I sure can't take my husband with me shopping..yikes!! I do okay with the kids..they gave up asking for stuff I won't buy a long time ago..but husband feels entitled I guess to put things like soda (grrrrrr) ice cream and cookies, sweet cereal that I just won't buy, and lunch meats that gross me out in the cart..it ALWAYS costs at least $50 extra if he goes along. And he complains about the price of things I consider neccessary like cheese, produce that I don't have at home, or can't grow here, and things like that. Men!! He never complains if he dosn't see the choices I guess. I would surely rather shop with 4 kids than one husband..haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  05:36:18 AM  Show Profile
I hate to go Grocery Shopping (unless it's Wholefoods such a pretty store) if I take my husband we come home with chips, cookies, snacks and nothing else! He gets upset when I buy organics or tubs of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc. all of which get eaten by my eating machines. I swear children can eat from the time they wake up to the time they go to sleep. For this reason I try to keep all that lovely processed food my husband loves out of my house. I now know why my mother used to say to us "you are going to eat me out of house and home"

Anyway I am not very good at the saving game, but something my husband says I do good(he is all I have to judge by at this point)
I make a veggie base sauce at the beginning of the week (tomatoes.celery,carrots,mushrooms,peppers,onions all robocouped so you can't tell whats in it) freeze it in seperate containers. And this becomes the base for everything dipping sauce for homemade chicken nuggets(roll them in flax meal, wheat germ, whole wheat flour and pan fry then finsh in oven) Bolognese sauce in a hurry add browned meat and herbs ta da! Pizza Sauce we have make your own pizza night once a week I make the dough freeze it and pull individual balls out Taco sauce etc. etc. Anything you would normally have some sort of tomato based sauce. This is the only way I found to sneak veggies into the kids not very varied diet. And you don't have to spend money on all the different packaged stuff.

If anyone else does anything like this I'd love a new idea to throw in to mix things up a bit. It really keeps me from going to the grocery store to often(Saving gas and money) and allows alot more playing time with my kids!

Mandi
"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle

Edited by - threebusybees on Jul 01 2007 05:42:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Mandi-

My mom and now I put that same sort of base sauce into everything! I put it in my spagettit, chili, Cabbage burgers (or for those who are cabbagephobic- call them German Burgers- they won't even know there is cabbage in them!) Pretty much everything. As long as it gets cooked with meat, it absorbs a lot of the meat flavor and adds its own flavor to things. The veggie phobics get so used to it in the background of dishes that they miss it when you don't put it in! :)

Try cabbage burgers- They are a huge hit in my home town. Make bread dough and while it is rising or defrosting ( you can buy bread dough at the store) scramble hamburger and that base sauce you spoke of. Also pulverized some white cabbage in the food processor. Make sure it is pretty small sized pieces so that they don't know what it is! :) Let all the veggies cook with the hamburger so they absorb the meat taste. Then season to taste. I like salt, pepper, italian seasoning. My fiance likes his spicy.

Then roll out your bread dough, cut out circles from the bread dough and fill them with a scoop of the meat filling. Pinch it closed and bake until bread is done! I haven't ever met anyone who didn't like these. We even have a friend who hates cabbage. We told her they were "German" burgers and she LOVED them! She even still liked them when we told her they were really cabbage burgers! LOL

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  09:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Mandi-

I had another thought- Can you tell us what you normally feed your family and maybe we can all brainstorm to come up with more ideas for you?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Interesting concept...Susan, you spend a lot for the month that you DH is home, but what is your average for the month's he is NOT home? Hopefully when he retires from his current assignment, he'll want to be a paid chef so you won't be facing those gourmet grocery bills year-round! BTW, I spend $150+ week for a family of two; but we only eat dinner out a couple times per month and DH prefers leftovers for lunch the next day, so I am really cooking for three.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  12:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I know we spend about 500-600 when he is gone for the four of us.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  4:28:56 PM  Show Profile
I was shocked when Susan said that she sometimes spends $800-$900 a month on food when her husband is home! That is more than half our income and would never do in this family - but I can understand him wanting good, expensive real food when he is home - I just can't even fathom spending that much myself!
Has anyone read the book "Feed Your Family for $12 a Day" by Rhonda Barfield? It is a bit outdated since the prices have gone up since publication, but I bet you could read it and get your family fed for $15-$18 a day based on the suggestions. You can look for this book at www.paperbackswap.com (my all time favorite website!!!!).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page