Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 How did your business/farm get it's name?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How did your business/farm get it's name?! Next Topic
Page: of 2

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  08:54:20 AM  Show Profile
I am leaning towards calling our little farm "Dancing Oak Farm". All around the property are Oak trees and when the wind blows they sway side to side like they are dancing. I am still not 100% about it yet though. I have planted several grape vines and blackberry vines and have been considering something related to that too like Blackberry Hill Farm or Vintage Farm.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

WEDGIE inventor
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Cookie
Chicago IL
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  8:19:18 PM  Show Profile
One can tell where I got the name of the tool I invented & market by looking at it. It's a wedge. But since I nickname everything & everyone, I called it WEDGIE. When I call retailers about reorders, I always say, "Hi, it's your WEDGIE lady!" They always know who I am.
Cookie
www.wedgie.biz
WEDGIE -- The container gardener's favorite planting tool
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  9:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Great invention, Cookie. I do a lot of container gardening and just use my hand as a wedge. How brilliant to actually have a plan as you did. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4246 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4246 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  04:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would finally post our farm name. Windy Pines Farm. We were hoping our farm had an original name, but it didnot. So we tryed to come up with one on our own. We had alot of pine, balsam, and 2 evergreens in our yard. So Windy Pines evolved. But alas, we only have 3 left. The effects of storms. We do have plenty of pines and balsams on our 80 acres, so that will have to count. Michele
Go to Top of Page

stonethistle
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Denise
East Meredith NY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile
The name of our farm is Stone & Thistle Farm. We moved to the Catskill Mountains 17 years ago - there was stone and thistle everywhere. We thought it sounded like an irish pub you would find along a toll road in Ireland. When we started raising sheep and goats - the stones kept growing but thistle was eaten by the goats (not that we don't still get thistles but they are kept closely cropped by the goats). So all of our organic grass fed meats (lamb, goats, pork, beef, poultry) are under the Stone & Thistle Farm name. When we decided to be truly insane and open a goat dairy on the farm, we called it by the name of the creek that runs through the pasture - Kortright Creek Creamery. We are opening up a restaurant on the farm this summer - it is called Fable - A Farm to Table Dining Experience and we are running two programs "Farmony" a healing rejuvination program with Harmony Hill - the retreat center up the road, and Farmer for a Day - families and children work with us on the farm and learn what it is like to be a farmer for a day.

I love all of your stories about where the business names come from. When we named the farm Stone & Thistle Farm, I never realized that we would actually be successful - It is too late to change it now - but I would have chosen something closer to my heart like all of you have.

www.stoneandthistlefarm.com
If you can't buy organic AND local, choose local. Support the local farmers who feed you!
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  01:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Well GrayHawk Farm came from my maiden name "Gray" and my partners maiden name "Hawk". Seemed logical and sentimental.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile
Our last name is Muller. We have a lane from the road, past the orchard and pasture to our home and barnyard.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Our farm is Bee Haven Acres....in honor of our honey bees, but also jokingly because none of our animals are ever "be-haven"!! I just took it a little further with Bee Haven Maven (the definition of which is an expert or connoisseur, usually self proclaimed......of which I am neither, but I thought it was funny) So in keeping with the bee theme (and I love bee items) I thought that Honey Beez was a good name for my etsy.....also, because I am always a very buzzy (busy) bee!!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  2:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Our farm came with the name "Sairy Hill Thicket" when my in-laws bought it in 1963, but after briefly using the name, it was discontinued. I LOVE it, however. Can you live somewhere for 30 years, then suddenly use a name for it?

Great stories!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yes, Ann - you just start calling your place the name that you love!!! There are NO rules for this!!!

I love hearing about all of your farm/business/home names - I've been trying and trying to figure out a name for my place, and no luck so far, but you are all so inspiring!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

In honor of Mother's Day, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How did your business/farm get it's name?! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page