Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 How did your business/farm get it's name?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How did your business/farm get it's name?! Next Topic
Page: of 2

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  10:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Someone asked me in the marketplace forum how I came up with the name of my farm. It got me to thinking how fun it would be to hear if other's had any special significance as to how they came up with their farm/business name. Just for fun!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile
Well, Missy, how DID you come up with the name of your farm? It's wonderful - sort of exotic!

susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  11:49:43 AM  Show Profile
My place is called Freestyle Farm. In the horse world, there are lots of people who think the "others" are wrong, crazy, poor horsemen, etc. It can be a divisive group.

In reining as well as dressage there's a class called freestyle. It's done to music, and the rider and horse do their own thing and are scored accordingly. Well, I think everyone ought to be able to do their own thing, pursue their own dreams, and not be judged if it's not like everyone else. Hence the name Freestyle Farm.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  5:28:20 PM  Show Profile
About 5 years ago I opened a little cottage/shabby chic store called The Daisy Patch. Later I moved around the corner to a bigger and better location. French decor became more and more popular, so we began adding that along with what we were already doing and felt that The Daisy patch didn't reflect who we were as much any more. My mom did a little research on the internet and found a french botanical translation for the marguerite Daisy, which was LaMarguerite.

Because of health issues a few years ago I had to close my store. I continued doing a little here and there from home under the LaMarguerite name and then when we moved onto our property it became LaMarguerite Farm. What's cool is that in the summer we actually have wild daisies that grow around our place.

Love and Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile
I love your perspective on the name freestyle farm. So true! This is so fun!!

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  5:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Well mine is from the ladies here. Bliss, because I have finally found mine here and Blossom fro all the flowers that grow here, especially the lilac in spring and the frannie sunflowers all summer. I want to have 100 sunflowers blooming this summer.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  5:59:27 PM  Show Profile
My crafting business got it's name from the fact the I feel like I was born to be a merchant. I dream all the time about my "someday" old fashioned Mercantile. Since I sell a variety of items as an old general store would along came the name "Mercantile." I have sales from time to time from my own home...so it is my homestead...there it is Homestead Mercantile. I have used just "The Mercantile" for most of the time. It was more recent I added the Homestead and this came as a result of my blog. There was already someone using Mercantile. So I added the Homestead part. My price tags still say The Mercantile. So I use both. And that's the facts!

I like this idea...now how about the rest of you sharing about your name?!

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  7:33:04 PM  Show Profile
My business Willow Tree Creek Studio got its name (sortof) MANY years ago. Ever since I was a little girl I have LOVED willow trees. They were always so magical to me. I also loved playing in the creek - even now! Since willow trees always seem to grow best near water it just seemed perfect to combine the names of two things I love. We have 1 willow tree in our backyard that I planted the year we got married. I love that tree. My goal is to one day build a shed/workshop right next to that tree.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I was taking a business development class thru G.R.O.W. (Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women - www.growbusiness.org). We were writing a business plan and had to have a name for our business and also design a logo. I actually thought about Willow Creek Farm or Willow Brook Farm because we have willow trees and a part time creek on our property. Pepperberry Farm and Bayberry Farm, were also in the running. I was crunched for time and trying to complete my assignment while taking care of my munchkins. I used Forrester Farm for the class - thinking that I would change it in the future. Once I had my business card and logo designed, I really liked it. Considering that my products revolved around gardening, I figured that Forrester worked - even if it was my last name. Ann http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I love all the names! Maurgerite is a small lil old coal town near where I live. I can't help but think of it and its sweet simplicity. Bliss is what this place is all about! I love how everyone helps and I have YET to hear or read an unkind word! :) Hugs to all! I still want something of my own to name sigh...someday:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile
"Bright Meadow" is a very loose translation of my name, prior to my marriage. "Burning pasture" or "Roasted veal" could have also been arrived at by twisting it just a little more.... somehow those names don't call up the image I was looking for. Depending on which name book I look in, Brenda means either fiery or sword. But since it's a derivation of the name "Brad" which sounds kind of like "bright" that's what I settled on. I've been using "Bright Meadow" for over 20 years, first for my rabbitry, then for my knitting machine dealership, now just for any of my farm enterprises.

Now my name could also mean swordfish!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile
The name of our farm "Larkspur Funny Farm" started because of the movie with Chevy Chase called "Funny Farm" It was a duck out of water store and that surely was my husband. On the cover of the movie jacket you will find Chevy on a riding mower out of control - my late husband when I purchased him a riding mowing proceeded to go outside on our then 5 acreas and plow it thru our fence. After me up righting the mowing, checking out my husband to make sure we did not have to go to the hospital I proceeded to warn him like a little child not watch out what he was doing. I had not even taken 20 steps when he plowed it into the next section of fence. Needless to say, he was band from the mower. He was my computer geek with a thriving world wide business but no farming, animal or nature scense. It was his dream to have a sheep farm and log house some day and when he past away 10 years ago my two young sons and myself made that dream come true. We named ourselves Larkspur(the town were are located in) Funny Farm because although we have learned tons over the years it is amazing how sometimes we are still the ducks out of water but now it has to do with how to work a cell phone or get a blog posted. Also, you might remember in the movie how the postman was a drunk and the neighbors where anything but normal, well we too have those same characters in our life. All in all the name is just right.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  11:35:47 AM  Show Profile
I've been busy and haven't spent much time on the computer so I was excited to see all the posts!! I love reading about your stories. Grace, I love your story about your husband and starting your farm in his honor. It's so cool to learn how much of ourselves we put into even the name of our businesses. When I had my store I remember reading an article in a magazine about a woman that had the dream of her own little shop and it finaly came true. They quoted her husband as saying" when I walk into her shop, it's like walking into her soul". That was so touching to me as that's how I feel about what I'm doing and I'm sure the rest of you feel this way as well. When we pursue our dreams and do what we love it's as though our spirit and who we are eminates(sp) from it.

Blessings,

Missy

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:37:57 PM  Show Profile
it's fun reading how everyone came to name their homes and businesses. Cabin Creek Farm was already an established name when we moved here.

I thought about changing it to FREEDOM VALLEY FARM (and sometimes i actually refer to it as such) .. because at one time in history, this area was owned by a slave-owner. I am told that on his deathbed (just prior to the civil war .. that he freed all his slaves) .. many of them continued to live in this little valley for years. Their ancestors are all mostly gone now (I was also told that the taxes got to be too high on the land). The only remaining family that i knew of was an very olde couple .. (she actually took the last name of her 'marster') .. they both died this year .. but i understand that a family member bought their olde delapidated home and are going to fix it up for a 'vacation' home.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
oh .. i also have some little 'sub-names' for various 'businesses' .. like ... my children's tea parties are called: YESTERYEAR'S CHILDREN ...

my women's tea parties are called: WOMEN'S COMFORTS (a friend who came to my tea parties from time to time .. one day .. surprized me by telling me that she had been going for counselling because of depression .. i did not even guess this until then... she always seemed to have SUCH fun! she said that she told her psychiatrist that the times she felt best was when surrounded with friends, new and old, in a cozy home environment, being creative and feeling genuninely liked .. she told her that it was her "women's comforts" .. ..

my dollies are "TRUE FRIENDS" (one of life's most precious blessings)!
from Sister Mercy's Foundling Home for Rag Chillun.

And some of my more homely home-made nostalgic treasures are from MUDPIE MANOR MERCANTILE .. GOODLY GOODS OF YESTER YEAR (mudpie being from my dear daughter who has fond memories of me 'eating her hand-made mudpies').

my Glovers' Station Antiques shoppe is under the name of Cabin Creek Farm (where we live) .. and

my Bardstown, KY antiques shoppe is called: Crows in the Attic (it is in a most wonderful little upper floor of an olde building .. the decor downstairs is mainly CROWS .. and the CROW is my 'totem'!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile
my name for my B&B that I don't have YET is called "wildfleur cottage" it's also my other screen name & the name of a small tea and flower shop my sister & I are trying to get together. It is because I adore all wildflowers, cottages, cottage gardens, tea and anything french & english.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Grace - The movie FUNNY FARM was filmed right down the road from where I grew up. We got to watch some of the scenes with the lake being filmed! Love that movie!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
I got my first horse 15 years ago, and her name is Star. A few years later my dad and I moved to a nice location that was right on the highway, and I had big dreams of giving riding lessons and boarding and training horses. I wanted my farm to be called For Star Farm, but there would be 4 stars on the corners of the sign. Make sense? kinda "four star" For Star a play on words. Well. now that I am 24 and married with a place that's turning into a farm of my own, I will finally be able to have my For Star Farm. When My husband and I started our business we needed a name that went with "painting". So I was thinking back to four star...and thinking about Four Star Painting, but it didn't sound quite right, so I thought well, how about be top notch and call it Five Star Painting? So that's what we do business as, but we are registered with the IRS as Five Star Design & Painting, Inc. because Five Star Painting is already taken.

Love is to the heart what summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the lovliest flowers of the soul. --Billy Graham
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  2:29:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My farm got its name from wild honey bees. When we bought the first 10 acres with the old rundown farmhouse, wild honey bees were living inside several of the walls. You could hear their loud collective 'hum' if you put your ear to the wall(s). When we started to take the house down to the bare bones, I insisted on leaving the old, chalky, cracked plaster on the back wall of the 'front room' so as not to disturb the bees inside. We found numerous hive remnants in other walls. Whatever de-struction was going on, I always made sure to save the bees. Hence the name 'Bee Haven'. I also grow thousands of daylilies(which they love) and leave about half of our 23 acres growing wild for now. Someday, I hope to learn to 'keep bees'. And what else could my name be but 'Miss Bee Haven'? :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:11:29 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, the crow in my 'totem"! I had several as a child, my house is filled with photos, ads, figurines, all crows........ jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page

hammondfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julie
New Caney Texas
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Well our name just cam from our own name: Hammond Farm
We raise dairy goats and turn our milk into soaps and lotions.

A nice friend helped us come up with our trade mark which is really cool I think..

People Tested Goat Approved, tm

We did trade mark this name so no one else could use it.

Later this year we started using another name on our non goat milk soaps that are all aromatherapy soaps called Julie's Garden. That name is also listed with our county court house.

Best Regards,
Julie Hammond
Hammond Farm

Hammond Farm
www.hammondfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Shade Tree Studios is reminscent of the fact that "shade trees" played a big part in my childhood. We had a swing in a shade tree, used to have alfresco lunches under a shade tree, would go for walks down through the shade trees... it's just a generic term that was used for big old trees in the part of the country where I grew up.

And the Apartment Farm is just that-- a farm in my apartment!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  08:37:34 AM  Show Profile
We do business from an isolated spot in Wyoming, so our business name has sort of evolved. Last fall we decided to incorporate our web design business and make it grow more, so we wanted to choose a name that would focus more directly on web design, with a feel that reflected how we do business better than our previous business name (which had not been registered anywhere).

After lots of prayer and thought, and some brainstorming on some forums, we settled on Firelight. Because it is warm, cozy, and welcoming. We named the web design business Firelight Web Studio.

It took us some time before we could actually incorporate, because we had to get some financial things in order. Right after we chose the name, a guy that I had been corresponding with via email (through my position as Town Web Admin) came to town to look at some properties. He looked at one on the edge of town that had about a dozen buildings, and which had been neglected for about 20 years. I had actually tried to negotiate a deal for the purchase of it 4 years earlier, but the owner had not been able to trust anyone enough to work with anyone who was actually honest with him - I had worked out a complete plan for improving it one building at a time. Anyway, the owner of the property showed this guy around, and the guy came away depressed and discouraged about it. He came to visit me, and asked me to show him the property again, and tell him what I thought about it now - it had degraded some since I saw it last. I took him around it, and outlined what had been our plan for fixing it up and renting out the units. When we left the property, he was excited about it, and asking me if I'd like to manage it and handle the repairs. Since I knew how to do what he was wanting me to do, I agreed. He purchased the property, and we have been cleaning it up, repairing things, and remodeling. That contract has been the means of getting us incorporated, and right now, it is putting food on the table and keeping the roof over our heads.

This winter, we also worked out a deal to purchase a single wide mobile on a town lot, which we will manage as a rental. With an additional business line evolving, we did not want to incorporate under the Web Studio name - we went with Firelight Business Enterprises for the corporation instead, while keeping Firelight Web Studio as a DBA for the web services.

We just got the paperwork back from the lawyer yesterday, so our business is officially Firelight Business Enterprises, Inc!

Laura
Mom to Eight

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  11:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Our's is pretty original.... AC-DC Farms....it's after the initials of our names...but everyone thinks it's funny because it's like the rock group...plus it ticked off hubby's mom that we named our farm after such a "rough" group, so that got my vote right away!!! Our banker said we were the first rock group he ever gave a farm loan to!
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile
The name Past Blessings, which I use for my antique show, my antique booth, and my soon coming PastBlessings.com, came about as I was trying to find a way to express how good things of the past are. Past Blessings . . . that is the heritage left by our forefathers and mothers. It is my goal to teach others about the things of the past . . . in doing so, our next antique show will have demos of tatting, basketweaving, quilting, spinning, rug hooking, leather working, and other oldtime skills. I want us to carry on those skills of the past to generations to come.

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  08:26:26 AM  Show Profile
My business, littlegreen, came from a Joni Mitchell song. My maiden name is Green and when I was young I thought that her song was written just for me. "Give her a name she can answer to. Call her green and winters cannot change her,..." So it was born. I started dreaming of starting a crafty business when I was only 12 or so... and ever since then I knew it would be little green. (plus I just love joni )

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How did your business/farm get it's name?! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page