Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  7:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Yea Sara! I'm glad you have a new love. Enjoy!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2016 :  06:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody - she is a joy.

Over the last several days she developed a hacking cough 'kennel cough'. I gave her little pieces of bread soaked with weak thyme tea every two hours. It did the job and she no longer coughs.

1/4 tsp dried thyme steeped in 1 c boiling water

I am not a herbiest so before you use thyme tea for your dogs please do your own research.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  04:53:16 AM  Show Profile
I am a little late in posting this but Congratulations on your new fur baby!! Hope all goes great with training and your chickens. The tea idea sounds like a great idea, though I am not an herbalists either... Glad it helped. #128522;

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  05:09:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah.

The weather has changed and it's rainy & damp again so the cough is back. I have learnt that Vitamin C is good to use for kennel cough. I will get some baby Vitamin C and work out how much to give Sweet Annie. I Will make up a cup of thyme tea that will last several days.

Sweet Annie still trails behind the chickens watching every move. Mo'Dean will run at her so she has to retreat a little bit. If we are in the back yard for very long Sweet Anne tires of the chicken game and wants to go in which is always fine with me. Playing referee to one puppy and three chickens wears this 'little old lady' out.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Sara
Our Aussie has had a bad case of bronchitis and the vet said we could give him Robitussin DM. I read online that it is widely used for kennel cough. I bought the CVS brand. Not sure what your baby weighs, but our Aussie is about 55 lbs, and the dose was 1/4 t every 8 hrs. Put in a syringe or eye dropper, because most dogs are not a fan of that icky cherry flavor (most humans too, blech)
Good luck! Hopefully we can see a pic soon?

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  1:07:59 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, she's at 20+ lbs and growing by the minute. She has filled out just in the week and a half I have had her. I'll give the cough syrup a try. I wonder if she would take it if I dipped bacon in it.

It's raining so house breaking is on hold again. I'm using a bowl of white vinegar as room deodorizer. Works pretty good. Also I go room to room swinging a rag soaked in vinegar. Nothing cleans the air like a swing or two of vinegar - just watch out for ceiling fans and lights.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  9:13:14 PM  Show Profile
I use elderberry extract whenever I have a cough and it works like a miracle. I don't know if it's safe for dogs but you might want to research it.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2016 :  04:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cindy I will keep it in mind. The cough has been gone for some time now. I used Wal-Mart's children's cough syrup and thyme tea.

Sweet Annie has been shortened to just Annie. She now thinks Mo'Dean chasing her is a game. Annie will pester her by coming closer and closer until she shows her ruffled feathers than Annie will run off a little bit, look back to see if Mo'Dean is behind her. If not she will start the pestering again. The chickens don't seem to pay her much mind anymore, but I still watch Annie like a hawk when she is around my girls.

Housebreaking slowed down because of rain but it has picked up a little since I have my BIL's dog, Bit. She will be with us for three weeks as he goes through another round of antibiotics. Annie wants to do everything Bit does so I am hoping she will pick up doing her business outside.

I walk Annie everyday to get her and me ready to walk the Trail de Paris. It's a walking/biking trail that runs through town and it's marked every quarter mile so I can keep up with our progress.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  09:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Well FarmGirls, training with the chickens is on hold. Annie got a little aggressive and wanted to go for their necks. Annie is allowed in the back yard before I let the chickens out and after I put them up at night. I used to let the chickens out as soon as I got up but now it's almost 9 and I put them up a little after 4.

Between the times the chickens are free ranging I walk Annie in hopes of house breaking her soon. With all the set backs I can truly say she's the companion for me. She's a sweetheart.

My BIL's dog, Bit, is still with me and Annie has learnt how to interact with another dog. BIL will be in the hospital for another week at least so I still have hopes that Bit will teach Annie to do her business outside.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6994 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6994 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  12:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Annie is four months old and growing as I watch her. She had her first play day with my neighbor's three month old black lab Rottweiler mix. Inky is also an animal shelter rescue.

When Julie brought Annie home she was happy with how the puppies played together. She wants to do it several times a week at her house. She's taking a course to become a dog trainer so I know Annie is in good hands and may learn a thing or two.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Quest for a New Dog Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page