GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

my dog, Rocky, a GSD, keeps eating bees. HOW he does not get stung is beyond me. I have lots of herbs and flowers in teh garden, so the bees are here.

What has happened twice is that he throws up the dead bees. All water and little bee bodies (and occassionally, some flies). Last time I counted 8 bees.

sigh.

He obviously does not digest them. So weird. Anyone had this? When I am outside with him, I tell him to "leave it", but I can't monitor him 24/7.

Should I care, other than having to clean up regurgetated bees?

FarmGirl Sister #2245
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com

"Women with opinions, pendants, & KitchenWitches...all in one."

Find me on INSTAGRAM! Goddess in the Groove

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  10:11:03 PM  Show Profile
I used to have an Irish setter who ate bees. It apparently never hurt him. I think what attracts them is the buzzing sound the bees make.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  10:24:23 PM  Show Profile
That makes sense. He just plucks down one after the other, hunts them like prey!

quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk

I used to have an Irish setter who ate bees. It apparently never hurt him. I think what attracts them is the buzzing sound the bees make.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff

FarmGirl Sister #2245

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7032 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7032 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  11:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh no! I hope your dog will be ok. I have heard of dogs biting at things that fly by but I don't think I have ever heard of a dog eating bees. I would assume he is fine with eating them because he continues to do it. Maybe ask your vet. I have a dog with a severe allergy to bees and I we have to keep her away from anything that attracts them. Good luck with your silly dog!!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Krista, that must be hard!

Given that Rocky has eaten so many already, other than a tummy ache, I don't think they are harming him. Plus, I give him Bee Pollen as part of the regime to help with his dry skin & hair loss.

Poor bees :(. I am more concerned now about the bee population. I planted many of the herbs to give them a place to collect pollen, and now it is a trap.

quote:
Originally posted by MaryJanesNiece

Oh no! I hope your dog will be ok. I have heard of dogs biting at things that fly by but I don't think I have ever heard of a dog eating bees. I would assume he is fine with eating them because he continues to do it. Maybe ask your vet. I have a dog with a severe allergy to bees and I we have to keep her away from anything that attracts them. Good luck with your silly dog!!

Krista

FarmGirl Sister #2245

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog eats bees :(... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page