Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Article About Hexagons in MJF Book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Article About Hexagons in MJF Book? Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile
I've been tearing my hair out trying to find something I thought was in a MaryJane's book, but maybe I'm wrong. I thought I read something about ants, bees, etc. forming hexagons, and the article talked about making quilt blocks from hexagons. Something about using stiff paper shapes and wrapping fabric around them and cutting the paper out later. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  12:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's called English paper piecing and you don't cut the hexagons out you just remove them and use them again. Lots of books and you tube videos on them.

I don't know about it being in a MJF book though.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Feb 01 2016 10:07:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, If you get the MJF magazine, look on page 60 of the Feb/March 2016 issue. I think that is what you are looking for.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diane! Jessie, in addition to our recent hexagon quilt, there's also an article about hexagon quilts and how to make them using a cardboard template in the Feb-March 2009 issue called Honeycomb Quilt. Here's a template: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/hexagon-template.pdf

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Also, here are a couple of books that might help:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Points-Patchwork-English-Projects/dp/1612124208/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454337507&sr=1-1&keywords=all+points+patchwork

http://www.amazon.com/New-Hexagon-Blocks-English-Paper/dp/1604683848/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454337507&sr=1-2&keywords=all+points+patchwork

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Diane and MaryJane. I hadn't had a chance to read through my MJF magazine for February yet.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Article About Hexagons in MJF Book? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page