Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Remembering Full-Service Gas Stations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Remembering Full-Service Gas Stations Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6919 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6919 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  07:59:41 AM  Show Profile
This morning I have to fill my car's gas tank and it's one of the things I don't like to do. I remember when I could drive into a full service station and an attendant would pump the gas, clean the windshield, and check under the hood. Oh, I do miss those days. But I am thankful I have a car to put the gas in so I'll pull up my big girl knickers and get it done.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  08:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I remember the good ole days as well Sara.
I remember a few years back like 2007 we were traveling through southern Oregon and had stopped for gas. Hubby got out of the RV and went to the gas pump to start pumping our gas in our RV. A older man came running over and said sir I will pump your gas, hubby said I got it but thank you. The gentleman told Tom it was a stAte law and he had to pump our gas for us and then proceeded to tell us why. The law was put in place for more folks in the state to earn a living, what a fabulous law! More states need to apply this law!
Have a fabulous week!

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile
You just have to make a trip to Oregon. All the gas stations are full-service, although I don't think they look under the hood anymore. I remember really wanting those Texaco barbie dolls!

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6919 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6919 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  08:56:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm back so I can check off the big thing for the day. Fatigue hit me on the way home, but it wasn't a problem cause I had taken the backway. There's always a backway ~ less traveled way that gets me there and back.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  10:25:09 AM  Show Profile
I remember them, too, Sara! My dad actually owned one! I worked for him as a kid during the gas lines - remember those? People would have to come on certain days, depending upon their license plate number. They'd show up with their RVs just to make sure they could fill up their tanks at home, too. It was something. I worked in the miserable heat, the freezing rain, the icy cold... And at the end of summer, I was the only kid who didn't have a full-body tan. MINE was only on my hands, arms and face - and the arm tan was only up to where the uniform sleeve began! Oh, my those were some busy, busy days. Back then, I swore I would NEVER pump my own gas or check my own oil ever again! LOL! Trick was on me, though, huh? ;) In all seriousness, though, actually have some wonderful memories of those days, but I'm glad it's now something I only do when I need to, and not my actual job!!!

I remember, too, when in some states it was illegal to pump your own gas! I didn't think it was still like that anywhere, Kristine! That's amazing!!!

I actually prefer taking the back roads, Sara. SO much less stress going the round-abouts. Usually much prettier, too! :)

Drive safely! It's always okay to pull over and take a little rest when we need to!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  10:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm in CT. One station near me is still full serve, but you PAY for it. In New Jersey, ALL gas is full serve and cheaper than here, too. Pumping my own gas is not one of my favorite things to do, either. My dh tries to do it for me, but once and awhile I have to do it myself. I sound so spoiled, lol! Nothing is worse than when it is cold, and I used to hate to pump gas with my baby in the car seat when my dh was young.

Another thing better 'bout the "good Ol days".

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes, those were the days . . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  1:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Fill 'er up and please do the windows! Yes, those were the good old days. Especially when it was cold, windy or raining.

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  2:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, Dawn . . .
and when there lots of bugs on the windshield that took extra effort to get off!! :D
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile
All our gas stations are full serve here. It is against the law for us to pump our own here.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  6:27:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh so I remember,,, I remember being a starving college gal and would put 27cents worth of gas into my (the family extra car) VW,,, just enough to get me to school and back... lol! then the mid 70's hit and yep,,, long lines for gas,,, odd, even days only... as for Oregon,,,when I lived in Spokane, WA., I had to literally stick a post-it on my dash when I would drive down to Pendleton to not get out of my car at the das pumps... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  7:47:15 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing your stories. I haven't ever been to a full service gas station before. I like the idea of making it a law to not pump your own gas. The more jobs we can provide the better.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  9:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Not only did the full service pump your gas, they washed the windshield, checked the oil and if you had a problem they would look into it. If it was a quick fix they would fix it and mostly charge nothing. I love Oregon's policy to help more people keep jobs.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2016 :  1:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I remember the Full Service Gas Stations. I miss them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2016 :  4:27:04 PM  Show Profile
This was a nice reminder today, Sara, about full service gas stations. They were such a part of our lives back in the 1950s and 60s. Remember Tony the Tiger? My Dad refused to get one of those tiger tails to hang out of our gas tank!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile
There's a great book called "The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion" by Fannie Flagg. Well, I think it's great; she's my favorite author! I highly recommend it for a fun read.

A few years ago, I helped out an elderly woman who was literally spraying gasoline around a rest stop gas station on the Pennsylvania Turnpike; I thought she was going to blow up the joint! She and her equally elderly traveling companion were from New Jersey and had never, ever pumped their own gas. I showed them how to do it, and the poor dear actually took a piece of paper and wrote down notes how to do it. They were taking a long-distance trip and didn't know self-serve pumps even existed.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile
I read that book Jessie and it is good!
I had to teach my Mom how to pump gas after the last full service station finally closed near her. I really miss those days and the personal service you would get. Not just as gas stations but all over. It seems that real customer service has gone away. Everything now a days seems so impersonal.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  05:37:26 AM  Show Profile
This brings back such memories! Our local service station was owned by Ed Murray, and all the high school boys wanted to work there. It was an "Esso" station (now Exon). Yes indeed, "Put a Tiger in Your Tank!"

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Feb 01 2016 05:38:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Remembering Full-Service Gas Stations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page