Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 2016 Temperature Quilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic
Page: of 4

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love what you are describing for your blocks, Sara. Glad I could give you the idea for a scrappy block-a-week wall hanging.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  3:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Linda thanks for the kind words. I have decided on halving the block with one color on top and the other on bottom. In as large letters I can do I want to put the numbers 1 - 2 - 3 on top and the letters A - B - C - on bottom. Using different stitches for each number or letter.

Should I use the contrasting green for the thread. Example: Light green fabric with dark green thread or use completely different colors for thread?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
what letters and numbers are you doing? The Month and days? You could use colors that are in the weekly temp colors or always use white for them. Be up to you.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  4:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Can I hop on board?

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/sets/72157627628326507/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I am doing 1 - 2 - 3 on top half of block and A - B - C on bottom half. Think of how your twin grandsons would do it and that's how I am doing it. Somewhere between kindergarten and modern art.

Will use full strand of thread doubled so the numbers and letters are simple but bold.

Welcome Christy.

Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Y'all! Here are the first two weeks of my squares for the temp blanket - I guess crochet counts, right? I have yet to clear a spot for the sewing machine to begin the quilting projects. But it's coming!!

You can put your boots in the oven but that don't make 'em biscuits!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  10:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sure DIL. Glad u r joining us. You too Christy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  1:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, this is funny. I created my own color scheme (based partially on my supply of yarn and the colors I thought I'd like to see more/less of. And it turns out that my color chart ended up pretty close to the one you suggested (how ironic) but here is my planned scheme:

0-09-white >>SNOW *might not be any white on this one... (might have to do a "lows" blanket later)
10-19-dark purple >>think frost bite!
20-29-dark blue >>still thinking frost bite
30-39-dark green >>for no good reason, just thought I'd keep it on the list
40-49-pink >>there's a hint of life in that flesh - you can actually "do" things outside
50-59-light blue >>sunny skies begin to prevail ~ there's the hope of beautiful days coming
60-69-lavender (lt purple) >>flowers are beginning to pop ~ birds of all colors sing in the trees
70-79-lt green >>everything begins to bloom ~ gardens take off and weeding becomes necessary
80-89-orange >>that sun sure does look like a big orange ball, and I need to go to the beach
90-99 yellow >>the days are bright, really bright and we might be moving toward "parched" here
100-109 Red >> Help, there it feels like F I R E ! !
over 110- burgundy >> Sunburns (and maybe some pomegranite margaritas are in order on these days)

Here is Texas, it is quite possible that Will have to actually make several burgundy squares. . . and if I do, I have a very special sparkly yarn that will give it that "party" effect!

Your scheme:
0 and below -pink
0-10-light purple
11-20-dark purple
21-30-dark blue
31-40-light blue
41-50-dark green
51-60-light green
61-70- bright yellow
71-80-orange
81-90-light red
90-100-dark red
over 100- burgundy

This is going to be such a fun project! Thanks ladies!

Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile
DL I love your crochet take, it's going to be beautiful.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  3:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! Can't wait to see all of the gorgeous quilts that this group turns out.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2016 :  11:41:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm working on my 4th quilt block and again have only two colors - dark & light green. It'll be a square, triangle, and yo-yo with a button.

Since I am making a wall hanging I don't need or want a year's worth of quilt blocks so I am tying it in with the Jubilee. My last block will be on May 8 - the last day of the Jubilee. A smaller wall hanging will be a better fit for my small house. It'll have 4 months and 8 days of blocks. Will figure out the finish design as I have more blocks to play with. I am thinking about calling it something todo with Jubilee. I will use mini aprons on some of the blocks.

If something inspires me to keep going after May 8 with another small wall hanging I am open to that.

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  02:50:13 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like lots of fun. I am going to experiment and see if I can do a high and low temperature for each day by sewing triangles together to make a small square block. To indicate whether it snowed that day or not I will try to find fabric with a small white snow flake print imposed on top of the color of fabric. A rain print would be fun too. Have fun! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  1:37:23 PM  Show Profile
The over all design is beginning to take shape in my mind. I'll continue to create a block a week with no master plan. When the blocks are all done I will decide number in each row and how many rolls. Will decide how many mini-aprons to place around the wall hanging and tie them together with yarn to mimic a clothes line. If it turns out as good as I think it will I can hang it on the front porch for the Jubilee.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile
I have finalized my plans for my Crazy Temperature Quilt wall hanging. My front porch extends across the front of my house with living room & my bedroom windows looking out on to it. On my bedroom end I have 2 wicker chairs and I hang a seasonal picture between them. So for the week of Jubilee I am planning on putting wall hanging into a frame and hanging between the chairs.

Starting on May 9 I will continue to make temperature blocks to use in hanging/picture for FarmGirl Apple Festival in Sept. Will hang between the chairs.

After Sept if another idea hits me I will continue with quilt blocks to complete the year.

Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2016 :  8:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that plan of yours to display your quilts on your porch is adorable!

Annie, I admire your details on using both highs and lows as well as embellishments and/or printed fabric to indicate rain or snow. I'd love to have a plan that in depth, but I'm afraid this blanket would end up on my UFO list! I'm trying to keep this one simple so that I might be able to go back to old projects and finish them. It's so much fun starting new ones...

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  07:46:12 AM  Show Profile
Will start 5th block today. Two colors ~ bright yellow & light green. At the quilt shop earlier this week I bought 10 fat quarters. One of the pieces is bright yellow & light green ~ looks like water colors were washed across the fabric. Perfect for this weeks block.

Will add a small square of yellow fabric with white daisy and put a yellow & white daisy button in center of flower. Will applicate the patch with green embroidery thread.

Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  06:00:18 AM  Show Profile
So happy to add a light green block to my January strip. This is unheard of weather for upstate NY in January.

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  06:01:08 AM  Show Profile

FarmGirl 2495
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  06:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Tamara, it's beautiful. Love the colors and choice of fabrics.

I started my 6th square yesterday. I have three colors to work with - light & dark green and bright yellow. Using fabric with light and dark green pattern for square. Adding a bright yellow print yoyo with yellow button to lower right corner.

I need to find a picture frame to use and paint it the same color as my shutters - yellow. My favorite frame that I painted hangs in my kitchen. I painted a light green frame red - then yellow - distressed it with rough sanding paper so some of the red showed through. That's what I want to do to quilt frame.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's great, Tamara! Love the colors.

Sara - What a great idea - a picture frame around the wall hanging. You go, girl!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  08:10:21 AM  Show Profile
This week I have 3 colors to work with - bright yellow, light green, and orange. It'll be fun to see what I come up with for a design.

Yesterday I went to the Salvation Army and a new thrift store looking for a picture frame without glass. None to be had so the search continues for a fame. I don't need or want glass because it will be on the front porch and everyday the wind blows across it.

Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Two days of dark purple for us here in NY.

FarmGirl 2495
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  6:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm so happy to see these blocks Sara and Tamara. Due to my BF's sister's passing and helping him in Michigan for 3 weeks, I've not gotten anything accomplished yet. I plan to use the weekly blocks, like Sara when I get going. Hope I can get back on track.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2016 :  11:33:09 AM  Show Profile
Three colors to work with this week - orange - bright yellow - light green

Don't have a clue what I am going to do - hopefully it'll come to me soon.

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2016 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Doris, I love your crocheted squares, very pretty.
I'm just observing from afar.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page