Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 2016 Temperature Quilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic
Page: of 4

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
NOTE TO ALL: I have corrected the measurements for the square/rectangular shaped pieces for a piece a day quilt. I was waaaaaaaaay off. LOL! If you use cut rectangles 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" and use 1/4" seams, you will have a quilt (before borders) of 62"W x 60"L. They would be placed 31 across with neutral rectangles at the end of the months with less than 31 days.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  1:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love those 2 links, Mel. I'm going to post those 2 links in my original post so they don't get lost here.

Everyone should go look at the quilt ideas those girls both had. I won't use that many solid colors, but plan to use prints that are preDOMinantly the color in the above chart, and may have a few variations in the fabrics.

I was thinking that if I can get my two grandsons to do this, I would have one of them record the days HIGH temp and the other the LOW. That way their 2 quilts would be different. Still thinking, but that was an idea on how to make them different.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  4:25:25 PM  Show Profile
ok ladies,,, I am looking forward to seeing the finished projects,,, and since you have a year to create your blocks,,, you can... if you have too(but hope you won't need too)... always head over to the "Finish your UFOs'"thread,,, and finish it up later... but I am counting on you gals to surprise me...
oh and I hope you ladies will post pics of your quilts through out the year.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Don't kid a kidder, Kat. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  7:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda... heeheeheehee....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  8:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Love that picture, Kat. Is that your cat?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  10:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see how it turns out!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Looks fun, like the hexi idea. I'll give it a go

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  6:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm running a little behind in the news but I'd like to try and keep up like Shannon. Should be interesting to see how mine turns out with the weird temps that we are getting.

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
RoDonna -

I think we will all be "trying" to keep up. LOL! Except for Sara - She's got her first weekly block finished. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  12:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Well I am already behind . I am going to try to get caught up over the weekend. I thuink this is going to be a challenge with both crochet and quilted temperature blankets.

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Because I am being an "idiot," can you explain how you would do a scrappy quilt with this idea? I have my fabrics ordered and am tracking the highs in my planner (yet another reason to own a MJF planner :) Love it!)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  2:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Shannon-

The scrap the idea is what Sara is doing and that I think I'm going to do. It is a quilt Square for every week and the quilt Square can be any size you want but you would use the colors for that week in a quilt block. Say you had three days at 80, 3 days at 60 and one day at 70. You would use three colors to correspond with those temperature ranges in your quilt block. This way you have 52 blocks to make. So you would choose a size for that block to make whatever size quilt you want I can help with that if you need it

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  7:27:41 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like fun Linda. Right now I'm making a minecraft (this is a video game that my granddaughter like to play) quilt for her 8th birthday at the end of the month. I would love to do this, but maybe my granddaughter and I can do it together since she likes to sew sometime down the road. Plus she really likes interesting facts about the weather.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  04:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Got the temps off the computer for the next 7 days. Four colors this time so I will have fun with this one. The crazy temperature quilt works for me because each week I get to create something brand new and don't have to follow a pattern. The only things that are set are the size of squares and temperature colors.

Since I posted I now know what I am going to do. My four colors are bright yellow, light blue, light & dark green. I will do strips of the greens for ground & mountains ~ blue for sky - and yellow circle for sun. A mini landscape. This is so much fun.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 08 2016 05:11:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  05:54:15 AM  Show Profile
I think I am finally getting a handle on the idea of a scrappy quilt :) Hmmmm I may have to consider this.... I still have a little more time to decide, as my fabric does not get here until Tuesday.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7479 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7479 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  08:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sara - I'm so glad you are enjoying this, Sara. The scrappy block-a-week was my idea, but I think it is easier than 1-a-day. LOL! And you are getting to be creative with your designs of each block. WONderful!

Shannon - You can design your own like Sara, or use a pattern every month. If myou make sall squares like Sara, it will make a wall hanging; if you make larger squares, it will make a quilt.

I haven't made any blocks yet, but I will be making these scrappy blocks, too. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 08 2016 08:03:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  4:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Hay Y'all! ! Just playing catch up here. . . been away for awhile but now I'm in a position to participate in everything FG! Long story but in a nutshell, I'm now a FT caregiver to an ailing parent and because I cannot count on being able to leave the house at any given day/time, I'm not able to join in any set activities like classes given at crafty stores or the church ladies gatherings, although I really do try. >> So it seems that I've been bitten by the crochet bug and Heaven help me, I have dived in with both feet!! (Make that cannonballed!!) Love me some yarn art and am about to begin simple sewing projects as well. Because of the nature of my mother's ailment and being tethered to homebase, I've taught myself to crochet in the past couple of months and already have a lot of UFOs - but can I tell you that I'm not at all upset about it. * * * *To be fair, I promised myself that I would learn "something new" everyday - so once I've completed something fairly well at least once, I add another project the next day. I still go back to the previous projects so that I can continue to hone my skills. For instance, I've been doing granny squares like a crazy person and each day I try to find a crafty thing (one of my fav's is a baby chick inside an egg (yes, its all crocheted). I got so enthused with my art that I kinda horned in on my husband's Secret Santa exchange at work. . . poor guy, he didn't get much say in what his coworker received. But I will say, he is so sweet and supportive. He ooows and aaaahs when I show him my creations. <3 Anyhow, I ran across this thread and thought how appropriate for me!! I'd love to be in your group, that is if you can stand a regular chatty Cathy! LOL! Thnxx and hope to chit chat soon! SouthForty ~FG#3794

You can put your boots in the oven but that don't make 'em biscuits!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  9:13:01 PM  Show Profile
So DL, you have some UFOs. Consider joining the Finish Your UFOs in 2016 thread before they take over your home.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

SouthForty
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Doris
Dallas TX
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2016 :  9:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes indeed, Marie! I was just sitting here contemplating which project to take up tonight ... afterall, it's only 11:30pm! Am I the only one who frequently ponders Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" ... You know the line, "There's never seems to be enough time to do all the things that you want to do - - once you FIND them. . ." Of course, that probably is way too old of a reference for many, but here in our home we refer to those as "Golden Mouldies" ha ha!

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll pop over and give it a whirl!

SouthForty ~ FG#3794
a.k.a. DL/Doris

You can put your boots in the oven but that don't make 'em biscuits!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  12:12:11 PM  Show Profile
I finished the second block today. This block has a sun so I embroidered the rays. Glad I have three days before I start thinking about the third one. A break for me is a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2016 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi, DL! Yay, another Victim! I mean...Farmgirl to join in!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  06:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Today starts my third block and I have dark green and light green to work with. Thinking about making the block a mini-embroidery sampler. Will help me with earning embroidery badge.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  07:33:06 AM  Show Profile
May we see pictures of your finished blocks?

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  10:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Shannon I'm not able at this time to post pictures.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page