Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok...daughter had an asthma/pneumonia flair up this weekend. The doctor prescribed med yesterday, when to pharmacy and was told one med only came in four boxes. I let them know the doctor only wanted her on it for a day or so, and they told me "yes, but this is how it comes, but they only had one box, come get the rest Tuesday." I was fine with it all, just wanting to get my daughter better. After consulting with the doctor today, my daughter doesn't need any more of the medicine. I went to the pharmacy knowing I would probably have to pay the 40 dollars for all this med I didn't need. The cashier was nice enough to check with my insurance which let us know I would pay 40 dollars for 1 box or 4 boxes. Isn't that a kicker? I paid(after they insisted I already did, I knew I didn't so they had to go through receipts) but left the medicine because it would just be a waste for me to take it. My beef is, although there is much good that I easily over look in these insurance companies, WHY do they make it so hard on folks?
Thanks for listening-I know I probably made no sense!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I know, they really do go all around the block with needless paper work and don't seem to use common sence in dealing with things. We run into like problems with Richard's mom. they don't make things easy. You would think they would want to make things more simple for themselves as well as us. Maybe its only men that design these programs.HA
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  7:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie -- I had the same thing happen with one my daughter's prescriptions. The doctor gave her Flonase and the dosage was set up so that one prescription would last for 2 months instead of one month. When I went to the pharmacy to get it they charged me $80 because they said it was considered 2 prescriptions. I said if the doctor had made the same bottle with a 30 day dosage then the copay would be $40. They said yes. That was a rip off as far as I'm concerned.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  7:55:24 PM  Show Profile
And some countries have subsidized healthcare for EVERYONE, not just the old, or poor. We aren't a third world country, but in terms of healthcare we are rapidly descending. I watched my parents be held hostage by insurance companies that would/wouldn't cover my Mom's cancer treatments for over 15 years because it was a "pre-existing" condition. Make no mistake, insurance companies are out for profit first and the patient is a very distant consideration. When was the last time an insurance company legitimately went out of business? If you are investing in the stock market, insurance companies have a very high profit margin. Ever look at what their top execs are paid? It is obscene! And they have the audacity to tell me my 13 year old can't have his migraine meds prescribed by his neurologist because it isn't in their formulary. I don't think so. The time for national, standardized healthcare for everyone is long overdue. You have definitely hit a very raw nerve with this subject.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  03:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies, for understanding! I fumed a little more last night when I realized that the box I did bring home remained unopened because the only med I used was samples!
My SIL is from Canada and it makes me a bit jealous when she explains how her health care system works. It is a national health care system like Bramble explained and my SIL pays for little to nothing at all. Really opened my eyes.

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  05:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
AWWW Bonnie! lol samples;) Well I hope your daughter is all better!! I know the insurance crap etc. I don't have a good one because when I went off of my mums BCBS I had gone to a chiropractor and on a med. They turned me down. Now I'm on you make under 17,000 dollars. OY I'd be better off well you know. I'm getting established with a job etc. But man if you want to be good and working you gotta suffer. I pay a buttload for my med/bc. I hate it. We def need to reform our system! Take a few pointers from canada.

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Bridget, you make a very good point about insurance for working people vs. Medicaid. I'm not saying that we shouldn't help the poor, but something is wrong when people who are not working (for whatever reason) have access to healthcare that people who are working can't afford. And we wonder why people on Welfare are not in a big hurry to get out of the social services system.

I have not had much trouble with health insurance companies (yet), but I have had enough trouble with my car insurance to realize that insurance companies in general are a racket. I had an insurance company deny my claim for a stolen car on grounds that were patently ridiculous, and they threatened to take me to court for insurance fraud if I tried to complain. It's scary to think that that same kind of system will sooner or later be in a position to decide whether they want to pay for treatments to save my life.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  06:33:26 AM  Show Profile
And a year later, I am still waiting to be paid for my car that was totalled last October! We have to go to court! Why? She was wrong but won't admit it! The initial traffic judge and the policemen thought she was guilty and fined her, so why am I still waiting...her insurance co. told her to fight it so the settlement would be less! Ai yi yi!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:10:40 AM  Show Profile
I know, we could go on and on! but I do have a little good news, the pharmicist took back my unopened box and gave me a 25 dollar credit. They at least tried!
Merry Christmas!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Yea, Bonnie! See, elves work in mysterious places, don't they?! Gotta agree about our country's pitiful health care system. France has socialized medicine, too, and now that I am married to a French citizen, my health care is covered for the rest of my life no matter where I live, or where I am treated. It is about 80% coverage, free, I believe, and hubby has a secondary insurance (does anybody hear that duck screaming AFLAC right about now???) for us so that everything regarding hospital stays, surgery, etc. is covered. Prescriptions are very very inexpensive too. And even if you have no insurance in France you cannot be denied health care. Wish our govt would get on board, but excessive greed runs rampant here, I am afraid. Anyway, high five Bonnie! Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just gotta vent a little Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page