therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile
My boss called me at home this AM and fired me. I called her and left a message to tell her about a mistake that I had made when running the AP checks on Friday. When she called back I thought it was to talk about that. She said the I just wasn't working out and had made several mistakes. I told her that, in my defense, I had only been in the office to learn the job a total of 12 days. That everyone has a learning curve and I was not given enough time to learn the job.

She has done the accounting for 18 years. She is having to give up her work and hand it over to someone else and I think that's hard for her. Plus she has never supervised or trained anyone -- thus she has set her expectations a little too high.

To say that I'm devastated is putting it mildly. I feel like I've let my family down because we've struggled for so long. And I was finally going to be able to help out and we'd have some breathing room. Missy said that she feels that God wants me to be at home and keeps leading me back here. I'm going to take the rest of the month to really pray about what direction God is leading and ask him to show me what he wants me to do. Today I will have a pity party for myself and tomorrow I will get up and move ahead.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry. This hits you on an emotional level as hard as on a financial level.

Good luck finding something else quickly.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  11:55:15 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear this Kay. Its such an awful feeling and such a let down. You know you tried your best, and you may be right, she was expecting too much from you to soon. I mean 12 days is not long at all to learn a new job. Hope you are feeling better about things soon and things turn in a good direction for you.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:02:38 PM  Show Profile
So sorry, Kay. I have a friend who just experienced this last week--I'll tell you what I told her. I really believe that things (both good and bad) happen for a reason. It's difficult to see the forest for the trees, today, I'm sure, and losing a job is really tough on the ego, but please don't disvalue yourself. Sounds like this gal might be hard to work for and please anyway, and in the long run, you don't want to work for a lousy boss. Employment "issues" go both ways.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Truly sorry that this has happened. Praying that God directs you to the right path. He knows the way!

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Kay- That's awful. I'm really sorry. But, I am sure that something better will come along for you!! You're just to good to pass up!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay, so sorry to hear this, I know it hits hard anytime, but extra hard this time of the year. I think it's a good idea to take the rest of the month to ponder this over and see where you need to be. Everything happens for a reason if we just let it be. Hugs!!!!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear this for you. I know I have tried several avenues to make some extra for our family and they just don't seem to work. Not sure what God has in mind, seek Him. Big hug and lots of chocolate today!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Big, huge,wonderful farmgirl ((((HUGS)))) Kay!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kay darling- I am so sorry to hear how poorly they treated you. Another door will open for you. Send me your link and I will put you on my website. Anything to help generate business for you.

And this is a good shout out to all you farm gals- support your fellow farmgirls, it isn't always easy to stay at home and try and support yourself. If you need something special for Christmas try getting it from someone here.

Kay I want to see a new pillow soon that I can purchase. And send me your link!!!!!

Sending you lots of (((hugs))) and will keep you in my daily prayers!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Dec 04 2006 12:37:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
wow your boss sure missed the boat, or maybe she's just not ready to be replaced yet. at any rate if it took her 12 days and she still doesnt get you (and all your good qualities) then i say she just doesnt desrve you.
arent you the farmgirl who organized and carried out the fall swap(and put up with my kookiness).
well i am praying for you to get to stay at your job at home, or find something where they "get" you and understand the things about you that are great.
it is devastating to get fired, it does feel like rejection, i know, but it just really means it wasnt a fit. do those folks there remind you of you. i dont think so, for starters i dont think you are a coward, i dont believe you would ever give someone bad news over the phone, you have too much respect for people.
if you must work outside your home, please be a little more picky next time and make sure you want to work for the folks.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
You don't know me, but I nevertheless feel compelled to send you some hugs and hope.

Treat yourself with kindness, trust everything is unfolding as God intends for you, and look for the next opportunity. Your perfect placement (or idea...) is bound to be right around the corner...

May your next steps be your best steps,
Kristina

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Kay, your ex-boss sounds incredibly insensitive! In my many years of working for other people, no one was unprofessional enough to fire me over the phone. And 12 days is hardly a start when you're learning a job - a more reasonable trial period is a month. As difficult as this is, I think you are lucky to be out of there. You are talented and caring and obviously have a lot on the ball. It's good to take the time to let it hurt. Then sit down with your family and friends and pow-wow about what you really love to do and how to make money by doing it! Good luck and you are in my thoughts.

xxx susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:32:48 PM  Show Profile
You are all so wonderful. Thank you for you kind words -- they really mean a lot to me. I've gotten lots of emails too and am so appreciative. I'm so glad to have all my Farmgirl friends. You're the best.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:53:46 PM  Show Profile
Kay, sorry to hear you had to go through this.
Sorry that the woman didn't seem to have the patience needed to be a good boss willing to work with a new employee, really that is not to her favor to be that way...but what is done is done.You did the best you could and you should actually be proud of yourself for having put forth a very good effort..if anything do not feel sorry for yourself, but rather feel sorry for the folks that lack in patience and people skills and just good old kindness and willingness to work through a situation..they need our sympathy.:0)
I sincerely hope that you can either find a job that suits you much better, where the boss is much more understanding and friendly, or that you can find something that you can do that brings in an income that meets your needs. In either case..the best of wishes to you!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Kay,

So sorry to hear this, and I agree with all the supportive comments listed here. I would like to add one of my own.

Don't we all realize how valuable and rare it is to have an employee who
(a) realizes they made a mistake
(b) alerts their boss about the mistake as soon as they realized it
(c) probably felt awful about it, and certainly will be even more careful the next time around?

I'd rather have that sort of employee, than one who lets the mistake slide, or denies/blames it on someone or something else.

Hold your head up high, Kay - she didn't deserve you. It's likely she wouldn't have handled another person any better, either.

Now, I am going to go check out your etsy store!

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Kay,
I love the sound of your soaps and would like to try them.
Do you have one each of:

- Oatmeal, Milk and Honey
- Unscented

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Dec 04 2006 3:07:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Kay, I agree with your daughter. He will provide, and I do not feel your place is in a large accounting office. Girl, I have been there and done that, and it cost me my health. I will never do it again. Stay home and create, and God will provide. And do not feel you have failed!!!!! I felt that way, too. It is wrong. Bookkeeping is a grind and a hard one, and you are gifted in other ways. Love you!
Jeannie

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay I am SOOOO sorry to hear this. I agree with everyone else (and Maria VonTrapp from the sound of Music) who says when One door closes another one opens. I know it will be a rough time. PLEASE don't hesitate to email me if there is ANYTHING I can do for you.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  5:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Kay, I hope you know you are being 'lifted up' today by all us Farmgirls! And I made a little order from your etsy shop -- let's all keep her busy filling orders for the rest of the year. Chin up, dearie!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay, I too am very sorry and I understand hoe you feel about letting down your family. Since I left my job of 8 yrs. I have been stumbling like crazy trying to find a way to the work I want to do until my small Inn or B&B which wont happen for awhile. You are doing the best thing by praying for direction, it will help you. Keep your chin up.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

lavender gal
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

grace
wantagh ny
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  5:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I have been in your shoes & I know exactly how you must be feeling right now - ROTTEN! Don't worry about your family - God will provide - He always does - YOU need some TLC now - you STILL are a good person, wife, mother & friend - loosing a job can't take that from you. It may be best you are taking time to be with friends & family & to reflect on this joyous season - the new year will look & be brighter!

God speed,
Grace

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  6:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay! How crummy! And what an unfortunate way to be "dismissed".
I say that it is their loss and they will be the worse for it in the long run. Did you have any sense that this woman was feeling this way? Many things have happened in my life that have left me standing there feeling blindsided and in the long run most of them have ended up being for the better. I'm hoping that's the direction this takes you, to something where you can let your talents shine and not fit someone else's expectations. You know you will be in my prayers and I hope you can put this in it's place and still enjoy the holidays.
Big hugs and chocolate therapy can't hurt!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  6:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Kay

I am so sorry to read about your job loss. But I hope this makes you feel better - in saying they didnt deserve you. Anyone that would say after 11 days you did this wrong and goodbye DOESNT DESERVE YOU!!

I will keep your family and you in my prayers that doors will open where they were once closed

Beckels
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  7:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Kay, just throwing in my paltry 2 cents worth: I agree with those farmgirls who have said that any boss who would let you go in such an insensitive way is not worth YOU.
Consider it a blessing in disguise - who knows how difficult it might have been working with someone like that. Don't let this defeat you, ..... have faith that what you need will appear. Here's a prayer for you that it may be so!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  8:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kay,

I'm really sorry that you were let go in a "really" unprofessional way. When I was the Assistant Controller and managed the Accounting Department, I never would have treated anyone like this person treated you. Now let's look at this situation a little more before you beat yourself up! What training, if any, did the department give you? Did they ask for your feedback on the training? If you had made several mistakes, were they pointed out to you so that you could learn from and correct them? Did the Accounting Department have a Procedure Manual and were you given one? Do you know that you may still be able to file for unemployment even though you were fired in most states. Something worth checking out. I would also write a very pleasant letter to the HR department citing that you feel the firing was unfair due to your lack of training, the unprofessional way you were let go, and for not being allowed to learn their procedures in a more "timely manner". This will be your professional way of contesting it for your personnel file and I would also ask them for a recommendation at the same time. Never hurts to ask.

Please don't beat yourself up, because after being in management for quite a while, here's what is probably going on. This boss has not been getting her work done on time and made many excuses of no help - company hires someone - she's never been a boss, only a bossy person. So now she blames her failures on the new person. ***Or management is tired of her excuses and tells her to train a helper - thinking that they could move the new person into more responsibility at a later date and maybe get rid of her- she feels threatened - refuses and makes excuses for showing you/training how to do something the right way - and once again blames you for her mistakes. I've seen it too many times.

Now pick yourself up, thank your lucky stars that you are not working for this idiot, and call your nearest Accounting Temp Company (a great way to learn accounting skills and then search for a permanent position after you feel comfortable with your new skills) and start working for a good and fair boss. They are out there. You deserve much better than what you were dealt. I wish you much luck and where one door closes, another one opens.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Got Fired Today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page